Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Panasonic TX-P65VT30E or TX-65VT50E

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Just checking in.

Picked up the VT50 65" a few weeks back. Decided to put the pro Panasonic in the new great room and put the new VT50 in my viewing room downstairs. I have to admit it is one of the finest pictures I have seen. Better than my sons Runco which I always considered comparable to the Pioneer Kuro. better than the pro series and better than my old Fujitsu which is still a fantastic set by today's standards. Best blacks I have seen with fantastic motion and color, a good looking set, clean lines and the small bezel adds 5" of view screen within almost the same size frame as the 60" pro.

I checked out the Elites before buying and honestly they are smoking something with those sets. Thousands more for the Elite name and have everyone believing they are the old Pioneer even though it is a fancy Sharp. It has a great picture but for far less the VT-50 is a far better deal and IMO has better all around viewing. I was told by the rep that the days of dropping TV prices are coming to an end. Everyone is loosing money on TV's and the future will see more gimmicks with less quality but prices have hit bottom. If you ask me pick up a VT 50 while the prices are low and hold onto it. Right now the VT50's are hovering around $3000 and well worth it.
Glad to hear you like the 65VT50.

Yes, Samsung is destroying all competition in the consumer flat screen arena. Sharp, Sony, Panasonic...all lost billions last year.

Panasonic has even intimated that the VT50 might be their last prosumer series...they are considering getting out of consumer all together and focusing on large panels for professional sales channels.

Of course, the push is now towards the new 4x 1080 standard ...
Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i do not know, i kinda grew indifferent to those details now. I saw panas VTxx something and then after looked at LG 6500 i got LG just for all the added 'stuff' it has internally in smart tv functions - wireless, dvr into usb drive, link to LG DVD that actually works well, etc.

and with THX specs opened up in the service menu its picture is just fine. and twice cheaper than VT50
Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I must admit, I've never viewed an LG plasma. It seems to be Samsung and Panasonic. And I've yet to use any of the SmartTV functions.

I was happy with $2500 for my P65VT30, if you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of the LG?

I am installing a Samsung P51E7000 tomorrow (anniversary gift for my in laws), usual Sanus mount. The dimensions of the 51 worked out almost perfectly for the wall and Samsung included a free soundbar/subwoofer + BlueRay player...all on tax free weekend. Not a bad picture (7000 series plasma).
HDMI ARC/CEC and AnyNet+ will make it easy to have just one remote control all the Samsung devices.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:11 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Tested all the TVs and Best buy Magnolia and now am on Amazon and a few other sites trying to make a purchase decision. I am currently trying to decipher why there is a GT, ST, and VT and all are large variance in prices, though in the store I can see no real difference.

I am coming from what must be a 10 year old 40 inch CRT sony.

I like Plasma for its warm picture. LCDs are.... well, they are computer screens. I look at those all day.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

As for the consumer targeted Panasonic plasma line, the VTseries exhibits the darkest black. I'm sure there's a distinguishing pallet of features between the models.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:50 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

I found it on Amazon. The GT price range is better for this purchase, and it seems to do a good job of bring most of the VT but without the extra... 1000 dollars.

2499 for the GT50 (65) on amazon right now. I need to wall mount it, and the couch is 12.5 feet from the wall.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:36 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
As for the consumer targeted Panasonic plasma line, the VTseries exhibits the darkest black. I'm sure there's a distinguishing pallet of features between the models.
I agree. The VT, with average lighting, has such dark blacks the picture is indistinguishable from the outer edge IMO it also has true to life color. I purchased mine as a monitor so the extras weren't part of the decision process.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:02 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Pulled out the stops for this one. 60" GT50 on its way from Amazon for delivery Saturday next week.

Had to gamble on a few things - that if there is a price chance in the next 15 days that Amazon will honor it, even if the price change happens when the start charging.....

TAXES!

I just saved 400 dollars over a brick and mortar, PLUS the taxes which here are 8.25 I believe.

1899.00 The 65" was 2400 and that was, at this time, not sitting well with the wife on the additional cost. Viewing area is actually only about 12' deep.

What I wanted to ask here is that some of you seem to have experience with the brackets. I would like a moveable bracket where if needed I could move the TV out and then we could view the tv from any angle in the room.

Any knowledge of this?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW, I use Sanus mounts for all my installs. Consistent quality, their Height Finder application is quite accurate for locating the drill holes on the wall and you can find them at discounted prices online from various suppliers.

A GT60 should be a candidate for an articulated mount. Go to their website, enter the TV model number and it will display all if the recommended mounts.

Regarding Amazon, last time I checked, they were not an authorized Panasonic retailer, which I am tod can have some minor warranty/service issues.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

I second the sanus. Best mounts made.

I purchased this for my 50" fujitsu in my kitchen. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ax8PHoY...ml?tp=1416#Tab

paid $299 free shipping IIRC & threw in an HDMI cable expensive but worth it. The TV comes away from the wall and allows complete rotation so my wife can cook and watch her favorite shows. The fujitsu weighs 135 pounds heavy for its size so I am sure the 60" will work fine. If this is more than you want to spend there are other models but this one extends out the furthest.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I will look at this.

My challenge is that I am putting the machine over an unused fireplace. I am concerned over whethere there is enough "wood" behind this wall. Stud finder is not giving me good news (there is a joke in there somewhere) .
Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Drill a small hole, insert a wire bent in the shape of an "L" and spin.
If it hits something you know the approximate distance to the stud.
If not, drill a new hole and repeat.

Once you find the studs, take a small nail and make a small series of holes left to right, this will locate the stud center.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:46 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BC
Pulled out the stops for this one. 60" GT50 on its way from Amazon for delivery Saturday next week.

Had to gamble on a few things - that if there is a price chance in the next 15 days that Amazon will honor it, even if the price change happens when the start charging.....

TAXES!

I just saved 400 dollars over a brick and mortar, PLUS the taxes which here are 8.25 I believe.

1899.00 The 65" was 2400 and that was, at this time, not sitting well with the wife on the additional cost. Viewing area is actually only about 12' deep.

What I wanted to ask here is that some of you seem to have experience with the brackets. I would like a moveable bracket where if needed I could move the TV out and then we could view the tv from any angle in the room.

Any knowledge of this?

I just bought the same TV. Took the Amazon price to best buy(which was the same) but got them to discount the TV to compensate for the lack of taxes that I would pay with Amazon. Really like the TV

Quick Reply: Panasonic TX-P65VT30E or TX-65VT50E