Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:11 PM
cosmic_993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best Ive heard in a Demo scenario, were McIntosh and PMC. Home theater speakers.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 PM
gab997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aerial 20T's. Very nice choice with book matched birds eye.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:28 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Title says it all.

To me, our old Dahlquist DQ 10's, the Genesis towers (electrostats + separate woofer towers), most Martin Logan's, my current Aerial's and some of the old audiophile grade Mirage like my father's M1's.

FYI

I don't think Genesis ever sold an electrostat speaker
Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

the description on the manual called them electrostatic tweeter drivers and they looked like some of the old Infiniti ribbon tweeters.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

posted too soon; in any case they were superb sounding. Not sure if they still make then as those dated back to the early 90's.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:59 PM
rlips
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I like my Avalon Isis very much. They are the second best I've ever heard, the best being whatever the heck was playing music the first time I got...well, you know!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:39 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
posted too soon; in any case they were superb sounding. Not sure if they still make then as those dated back to the early 90's.

Yes, Arnie Nudell of Genesis was also the designer of the Infinity IRS systems.

Both could knock your socks off! ( Or maybe move a pant leg!!)
Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info!

Wonder if they still make them.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:59 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by milwaukeeshark
I purchased my Mirage M1's nearly 20 years ago and they still sound as amazing as the day I brought them home!!! Will never part with them. Speakers come and go for my HT needs, but for 2 channel analog sound, from blues to classical they just can't be beat.
I'm the same kind of listener. 2-channel analog. I am using a set of Fried Beta4 signature series right now and will always keep them.
I also have a set of Von Scweikert VR-1s in dark cherry. For sale if anyone is interested. Original boxes and velvet carrying bags included along with the responce graph from the factory. As new condition. PM me if interested - google for reviews, these are amazing speakers.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
I'm the same kind of listener. 2-channel analog. I am using a set of Fried Beta4 signature series right now and will always keep them.
I also have a set of Von Scweikert VR-1s in dark cherry. For sale if anyone is interested. Original boxes and velvet carrying bags included along with the responce graph from the factory. As new condition. PM me if interested - google for reviews, these are amazing speakers.
Not familiar with the beta 4 signatures. I have a pair of Fried R signatures I always loved until the mid range surrounds went. I plan on repairing them one day. They were fantastic speakers for the time and $$. Do you have any pictures?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Originally Posted by cobalt
Not familiar with the beta 4 signatures. I have a pair of Fried R signatures I always loved until the mid range surrounds went. I plan on repairing them one day. They were fantastic speakers for the time and $$. Do you have any pictures?
I will look and make sure I quoted the model correctly, and get some pics.
FYI. Do a search for Fried, and go to their websight. They have a driver replacement program for the older models. I bought a set for mine a couple of years ago. They were about $80 for the mid-base drivers. I am very happy with them. Also, you can find very high quality components at resonable prices at https://www.madisound.com/index.php (who I believe suppies the current drivers in some of the higher quality speakers).
Old 09-22-2010, 12:35 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
I will look and make sure I quoted the model correctly, and get some pics.
FYI. Do a search for Fried, and go to their websight. They have a driver replacement program for the older models. I bought a set for mine a couple of years ago. They were about $80 for the mid-base drivers. I am very happy with them. Also, you can find very high quality components at resonable prices at https://www.madisound.com/index.php (who I believe suppies the current drivers in some of the higher quality speakers).
Much appreciated. Wasn't even sure if they were still in business. I don't think I could ever part with them. They were a great speaker.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:55 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Bud Fried died a few years back. As his health declined he was producing less and less in his home-based shop in Pennsylvania. He was a very nice man. I spoke with him on a few occasions with a project a friend was working on - custom cabinets for his fried drivers. Bud provided all the plans and plenty of support. When it was done, my friend drove the cabinets to his home in Penn and Bud "tuned" them. he did all kinds of cool stuff to get the most out of a speaker, for instance he would poke a needle hole in the tweeter. A group of audio enthusiasts grouped together and purchased the rights to the name and continued to produce his speakers in the same vein as bud himself. they employed engineers and studied his techniques for a while. I have not listened to the latest offerings, but they are supposed to be quite nice. Their stuff has always (and today) defied the designer speaker trend and simply delivered unbeatable sound and value. They just make good stuff.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I am going to get hell for this but I still miss my original Bose 901s. I have gone through multiple "better" speakers over the years and still remember the "wall of sound" they produced with fondness. I refer to the original series 1 power hogs. I drove them with a Bryston 150 w/ch amp. I dabbled with Thiel, Maggies (outstanding for vocals), etc. and still have a soft spot for the 901's. I suspect I'll need nomex to read the following messages
Old 09-22-2010, 01:04 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Bob, I am not an audiophile. I like good stuff, but never really immersed myself in the hobby. I run an Adcom 545 amp/preamp/CD thru small bookshelfs full range. I'm happy with that and it fits my home, listening needs, and wallet. You like what you like and I think thats fine.

Quick Reply: Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?