Sponsored by:

Friday Dyno Fun!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 03:13 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts
Default Friday Dyno Fun!

So I had a chance to put my car on a dyno on Friday. There aren’t too many places here in DFW that (a) Have a 4WD dyno that you can run the turbo on, and (b) actually know what they are doing and are familiar with these cars. The shop I used was very knowledgeable, and one of the techs there has a 996TT that has been modded extensively.

It’s a Mustang 4WD Dyno, they had to take off the front underside panel in order to access the correct tie-down location. They strapped it down and set a large fan in front, as well as a fan in the back on the engine with the lid open. Two smaller side fans were pointed at the intercooler ducts. My understanding is that the Mustangs typically read slightly lower than other dynos..not sure if that is true or not.

As a recap, a few specifics on the car:

07 997.1TT
6MT
UMW tune
Speedtech “sport quiet” exhaust w/ 200 CEL cats
GT2RS intercoolers
Sachs "2.5" 764 clutch kit
New plugs/coils 5K miles ago.
93 octane pumpgas (we get good fuel here in TX)

I previously had a OTS tune from a popular vendor, which seemed ok, but I was intrigued by the idea of custom tuning. I started talking to Kevin in early December and we did a fair amount of data logging so I could see how the old tune was working vs stock. It was interesting to see how the timing and knock retard were very different vs the stock map.. and I learned about the Durametric and its limitations on reporting timing retard and sample rates. The more data I saw the more I wanted to know about what the numbers mean. I also used datazap.me to plot various parameters while playing with the logger tool. Certainly not necessary, but I love to get my hands dirty in the data
With Kevin’s tool you get 25 samples/second and can see timing and retard by cylinder, along with all the other good data. And it's much easier than using a laptop in the car.

So during this process we uncovered a few issues, it seemed my lambda was a little sluggish so I put in a new set of wideband O2 sensors, and also I fixed a few minor boost leaks, and also found and fixed the “blown-off” FPR pressure line.. (I tie-wrapped it.) All was accomplished by Kevin looking at logs and me poking around the car on the lift in my garage.

Once we got all this sorted out then I loaded the new tune and did some more logging to make sure things were in line..

They did 2 pulls, both in 4th gear sport mode, the best was the second run at 520awhp and 582awtq. These are weather corrected numbers (which I believe is pretty much standard). The shop has a weather station that provided the data to the dyno.

I noticed on the dyno computer screen the graph was smooth, but when they printed it out for me it was a little more jagged; my printout has no smoothing applied (Filter value=1) which is I believe why it’s that way.. some shops will apply a filter value that smooths out the edges on the print.

I datalogged both runs.. boost maxed very briefly at 1.39bar but was mostly in the 1.1 - 1.2 range and dropping slightly at the higher RPM.. timing retard was good, not too high and overall timing was steady and didn’t jump around (unlike the OTS tune I had), my lambdas look good and crisp (.84 to .86 at full load).. My first run started and ended with high IATs (36C) but they did drop a fair amount during the run itself.. The shop didn’t get the intercooler fans setup until just before the test, so that I'm sure is why.. the car sat warming up for a while. Second run started with IATs at 28C. Clearly the fans are no match to the real airflow while driving at >60MPH..

The key here is to have a good custom tune that leaves a margin for the "uh-ohs" and is not on the ragged edge.. That’s what I wanted.

A few pics and the dyno report from the 2nd run, as well as a video I took. Not that great of a video, I had to stand in the observation room and watch thru the glass.

Overall, I’m very pleased, and Kevin’s customer support is top notch. I know the dyno reports aren't worth much but I now have a baseline for any future mods.

Name:  dyno1_zpsarpvwgnn.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  115.2 KB

Name:  dyno2_zps01tvvs2z.jpg
Views: 2116
Size:  190.0 KB

Name:  dyno3_zpsxhufpzwy.jpg
Views: 2104
Size:  125.6 KB

Name:  dynoplot2_zpsrc9nhlar.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  dynoplot1_zpsjdlq0fuv.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  74.9 KB

Old 01-16-2016, 06:16 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

It would be nice to see a comparison vs the old tune. Great to see you're happy with UMW though.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

Nice job...
Old 01-19-2016, 11:31 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

That's great! Made more great by the fact that we have a similar setup (different exhausts and I have do88 intake pipes), but hope for similar results!

It's funny I also had a case of the lazy O2 sensors. I'm mad at myself for not replacing them when the car was apart for the cams. It's always best practice to replace the widebands before tuning. Duh.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:25 AM
turbofever
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

planning on getting kevin's tune.. just have to be patient and stop spending elsewhere!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:15 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CincyScott
That's great! Made more great by the fact that we have a similar setup (different exhausts and I have do88 intake pipes), but hope for similar results!

It's funny I also had a case of the lazy O2 sensors. I'm mad at myself for not replacing them when the car was apart for the cams. It's always best practice to replace the widebands before tuning. Duh.
Did you put your do88 pipes in when the engine was dropped or ?

If I were to do it I would DIY.. I know the rock88 had a writeup on how he did it.. I wonder if it would make much of a diference with my stock turbos.. Hmmmm.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:01 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
Did you put your do88 pipes in when the engine was dropped or ?

If I were to do it I would DIY.. I know the rock88 had a writeup on how he did it.. I wonder if it would make much of a diference with my stock turbos.. Hmmmm.
Yes, but lots of folks do it when they are in the car. The key is just lowering the motor for better access. It's the only intake mod Kevin recommends for our level of build.

On a side note, you do realize my car will always be faster than yours though, right? White cars always have more hp
Old 04-08-2016, 06:10 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Talking Dyno day, part 2

So I took the car back for another dyno session this morning. See post #1 for a list of my mods. In addition to those mods in post 1, I have since added:

- Do88 inlet pipes
- UMW tune revision3 (allows slightly higher load values with a few other minor tweaks)
- In addition, for this dyno session, 5 gallons of 100 octane on top of 7 gallons 94 octane.

Same dyno, same dyno operator, same WCF, same IATs at start of pulls (~28C), same setup across the board.

Result was a peak 15HP increase with a 5 TQ peak increase. New numbers are 535awhp and 587awtq.

Peak boost was 1.42bar, lambdas look good, timing retard at full boost was almost negligible.

I printed the graph with the same filtering applied as my last runs in Jan:

I’ve learned a lot about the Mustang dynos during my sessions.. I figured out (with the help of Google and some trial & error) how to take the raw data files created by the dyno (.TRB files) and use them to create an export of the tables. Mustang provides their dyno software for free on their website (demo only mode) but it DOES allow you to load up your data files and print out whatever the actual operator can do.. apply different filtering levels, graph smoothing, etc. etc. It’s actually pretty cool.. I should probably do a post on how to do this in the future for those who run their cars on Mustang’s..

This allowed me to take the dyno graph and add datapoints in my datalogger data to show TQ numbers vs RPM & load:

So how does this translate to on-the-street times? I’m not too interested in drag racing this car, but I have managed to collect a few vbox runs recently:

60-100mph (3.27s) and 100-200kph (6.63s)

Short of switching to E85, I’m probably at the limit of what I can safely do with this car without going to new turbos..

Hmmmm

Old 04-11-2016, 02:51 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice info and write up! I'd like to do the same sometime. My tune is by FVD, and I had them re-profile my turbos, along with other upgrades. But, I have stock inlet pipes. I haven't been around here in a while, so the do88 inlet pipes are not something I'm familiar with.

Could you put the two pulls on a chart with the same scaling on the axes? The scaling of the first chart makes the torque falloff look worse than it is, I think. Also, I notice that peak HP happened a lot quicker on the second pull. I assume this is related to the turbo upgrade need you mentioned.

Louis
Old 04-12-2016, 02:25 PM
TTurboRoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DO88's probably let the turbos spool up a tick quicker and definitely have to improve the air flow over the crimped factory inlets. OP may be able to see higher boost sooner in the data logs from the UMW Tune Data Logger but the difference may be negligible there too.

I love that he did the Dyno runs for all of us (and thanks for that SAABIN) because it is dynamite baseline info for those of us who have the UMW Tune and Data logging capability. The numbers and graphs are all wonderful but the truly important thing is up higher in the OP's last post... the 100 to 200k number is the one that dispenses with all the other numbers and gets to where the rubber meets the road.... 6.6 seconds is FAST. Nothing cooler than being able to see exactly what those modifications do on the road where it really matters and you can get that with that Data!

I installed the UMW Tune on my (yeah yeah, if I want to shift gears I will drive my 930) Tip 997.1 with the 997.2 coolers, DO88s and Europipe 1. With the Sport Chrono off I logged 0-100mph in 6.9 seconds compared to 7.8 with Sport Chrono but without the tune and my 100k to 200k is 6.207....

One of these days I will turn the SC on again! In the meantime, this Dyno information gives me a great idea of what kind of horsepower I am working with!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:11 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by L_perm
Nice info and write up! I'd like to do the same sometime. My tune is by FVD, and I had them re-profile my turbos, along with other upgrades. But, I have stock inlet pipes. I haven't been around here in a while, so the do88 inlet pipes are not something I'm familiar with.

Could you put the two pulls on a chart with the same scaling on the axes? The scaling of the first chart makes the torque falloff look worse than it is, I think. Also, I notice that peak HP happened a lot quicker on the second pull. I assume this is related to the turbo upgrade need you mentioned.

Louis
The red line is the original tune file pull from Jan and the black is the pull from last week.

I noticed in my logs the dyno operator briefly lifted from 100% throttle after he got it in 4th gear this last time (run 2), which caused the load to flatten out a little, which caused the slight variation in the TQ line under 3200RPM..

Originally Posted by TTurboRoo
The DO88's probably let the turbos spool up a tick quicker and definitely have to improve the air flow over the crimped factory inlets. OP may be able to see higher boost sooner in the data logs from the UMW Tune Data Logger but the difference may be negligible there too.

I love that he did the Dyno runs for all of us (and thanks for that SAABIN) because it is dynamite baseline info for those of us who have the UMW Tune and Data logging capability. The numbers and graphs are all wonderful but the truly important thing is up higher in the OP's last post... the 100 to 200k number is the one that dispenses with all the other numbers and gets to where the rubber meets the road.... 6.6 seconds is FAST. Nothing cooler than being able to see exactly what those modifications do on the road where it really matters and you can get that with that Data!

I installed the UMW Tune on my (yeah yeah, if I want to shift gears I will drive my 930) Tip 997.1 with the 997.2 coolers, DO88s and Europipe 1. With the Sport Chrono off I logged 0-100mph in 6.9 seconds compared to 7.8 with Sport Chrono but without the tune and my 100k to 200k is 6.207....

One of these days I will turn the SC on again! In the meantime, this Dyno information gives me a great idea of what kind of horsepower I am working with!
You did a 6.2s 100-200kph with your tune? Was that measured with a vbox or ?

Tips certainly have an advantage on the shifts.. Did you ever get any 60-100s?
Old 04-12-2016, 08:36 PM
TTurboRoo
Advanced

I have been doing the math on the Data logs from Kevin's UMW Tune actually. I just ran 62.5 to 125 in 6.1126 on one run and 6.1222 on another WITH the Sport Chrono on. The car is doing 0 to 125 in 9.5 to 9.7 but limited by tire slip if I try to start by throttling before releasing the brake, it just lights up the dash and cranks them over. So the starts are leaving 0 with no boost at all and a touch of light on the dash as the boost comes up in 1st. The 60 to 100s are in 3.12 to 3.21. The 0 to 100's are in 6.6 to 6.7
Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 PM
TTurboRoo
Advanced

I have to say.... The best thing about the furious acceleration of the thing.... is the PCCB's that arrest it!
Old 04-13-2016, 12:37 AM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the revised chart with both pulls. It appears the benefit of the intake pipes and tune tweaks are "top end"--coming in above 4,200 rpm. I wonder if there would be more of a low-end effect with bigger turbos.

Louis
Old 04-13-2016, 03:03 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

One needs to think about protecting the stock rods. Even with larger turbochargers the lower end will be similar. Midrange and upper RPM's will get the benefit.

Quick Reply: Friday Dyno Fun!