Sponsored by:

GMG or H&R springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:47 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I did springs first. They settled the car a fair bit, but with the stock unit it still porpoised a little on undulating surfaces in mode 1, and I found it too harsh a ride for anything but smooth surfaces in mode 2.

DSC fixed this. Mode one is a firmer, yet more compliant ride. The car no longer porpoises around, no longer feels floaty. Mode 2 is left on most of the time. Mode 3 is definitely stiffer, but is still usable every day.
So then with springs and DSC, is mode 1 as compliant as stock? As in it's not anymore bumpy. Sounds like DSC made it more compliant even with the springs but I'm wondering how it compares to stock in bumpiness.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:42 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

DSC results in the shocks actively absorbing bumps better than with the stock unit, so the ride is more settled, and less bouncy. In all honesty if I was doing it again I'd have tried the DSC first, springs second, but I like the aesthetic so would have ended up with the same result.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:46 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
Are you using GT2 bar or GT2 RS bar? Or is there no difference? Also what about the end links? Aftermarket or OEM? I don't know but what in that car is spherical jointed? I know the lower control arms are.
Oem links Same bar.
I believe tpc recommends stock spring/shock with the dsc and their adjustable sways. Give Tom a call.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:57 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
DSC results in the shocks actively absorbing bumps better than with the stock unit, so the ride is more settled, and less bouncy. In all honesty if I was doing it again I'd have tried the DSC first, springs second, but I like the aesthetic so would have ended up with the same result.
I know DSC makes it better but what I'm trying to get an answer for is do springs and DSC make the ride compliant as OEM.

So springs make it stiffer than stock.
DSC make it softer than stock.

So does the DSC make the ride compliant enough to negate the stiffness the springs cause?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:58 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Oem links Same bar.
I believe tpc recommends stock spring/shock with the dsc and their adjustable sways. Give Tom a call.
Hmmm when I talked to him last he asked me first thing if I wanted to do springs but I said no. So since I've changed my stance I have to ask him again what they recommend.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:32 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmmm when I talked to him last he asked me first thing if I wanted to do springs but I said no. So since I've changed my stance I have to ask him again what they recommend.
Tom was very complimentary of my choice and mentioned they like the Eibach variants a lot.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:24 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Tom was very complimentary of my choice and mentioned they like the Eibach variants a lot.
That takes us back to GMG or Techart. Still wondering why there is no feedback on techart.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:23 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

That takes us back to GMG or Techart. Still wondering why there is no feedback on techart.
Personally, I don't understand why folks buy re-branded springs anyway. Is Eibach really creating one-off springs in small batches for these companies? Wouldn't the cost for that make it ridiculous?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:45 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 585 Posts

I would not buy anything from GMG.
but
YMMMV.

I would also not buy Champion lowering springs.
(The white ones)
The previous owner did and the car is ridiculously low IMO
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2015, 07:14 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
but
YMMMV.

(The white ones)
Yep, they're made by H&R. You got the same case of the sags I had. The car drove like garbage.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:29 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
but
YMMMV.

(The white ones)
Why you don't like GMG?
Old 03-31-2015, 02:27 AM
elite1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have H&R on my car. It really did drop the car but, stiff when necessary but firm when needed. Looking into the TPC System module but, this is probably another thread.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:02 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V.
By now, jem7v, you've probably (i) removed those winter tires from your car and (ii) had your car properly aligned--issues which you identified and explained so effectively in your "Suspension upgrades" thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-upgrades.html). No doubt you addressed those issues before you invested in a new exhaust system for your car. Given the expectations that you have for your car, you just may have a defective, low-mileage car: it's "super bouncy" and doesn't respond well to your driver inputs. On the other hand, maybe Porsche engineered a car which simply isn't a match for your driving skills.

There's no need to take the TT Surgeon's advice by taking the car to a track to establish a baseline for its handling. That type of analytic, rational approach isn't for you. Your driving skills and your detailed knowledge of your car's handling are more than sufficient. Moreover, you've "tried reading as much material on this as possible. But everyone contradicts each other," and the relevant input that you've received in this thread--well, oddly, it's not what you want to hear since you've already conducted your own analysis by comparing your car with a "modded turbo S."

You ask for advice, you receive it, and then you try to refute the advice that you've received based on conclusions that you've already made.
NICE!
Best post i've read today / this week / this month
Old 04-02-2015, 06:43 AM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

i have gmg springs and sways on ,y 997t, amazing change in the car overall, great option, would recommend it 100%
Old 04-02-2015, 09:24 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The reason there's not much feedback on Techart is because like Champion or GMG or any of the premium brands they aren't really making their own springs, they are just re-branding either H&R or Eibach. There really are very few players in the spring game.

Our Turbo came with Champion (H&R) Springs. I think the ride height is perfect. My wife daily drives it without issue IDK what some of you guys are talking about when you say it's too low but this is all personal preference. However I will say they're just soft and squishy and really don't make the car handle any better at all. Our turbo is 99% street car though and since I like the way it sits the Champions will probably stay on there for now.

I have 3 way JRZ motorsport struts and 900 lb springs on the GT3 for when I want to go to the track and have fun.

Quick Reply: GMG or H&R springs