997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMG or H&R springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015 | 03:20 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

So let's focus on best springs for OEM shocks with maybe a DSC at most. I don't want to change shocks. If I did I'd go ohlin.
Old 03-28-2015 | 08:50 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Eilbach, gmg, techart are the same basic spring, of the three gmg is the most widely used.
Having done springs, coil overs and everything in between, I prefer the stock setup with an aggressive alignment and gt2 bar at the end of the day.
Old 03-28-2015 | 11:10 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Eilbach, gmg, techart are the same basic spring, of the three gmg is the most widely used.
Having done springs, coil overs and everything in between, I prefer the stock setup with an aggressive alignment and gt2 bar at the end of the day.
The car is just super bouncy. How come everyone likes the GT2 bar? They put that bar because the car is RWD and weighs like 400 pounds less. I don't see how putting that on the car helps.
Old 03-28-2015 | 11:34 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

It's adjustable and 35% stiffer, the heavily rwd biased tt will benefit from it just as much as its rwd cousin.
I've logged a lot of track time in 997 turbos and this bar really works.
Before jumping into mod madness, why not take it to the track in a bone stock configuration and really learn the car. Just my .02
Old 03-28-2015 | 11:37 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jem7v
The car is just super bouncy. How come everyone likes the GT2 bar? They put that bar because the car is RWD and weighs like 400 pounds less. I don't see how putting that on the car helps.
dude you crack me up. You say the car is too bouncy so folks recommend the GMG springs because they are stiffer/firmer and then you comment that they "want back surgery later in life" LOL!!

I think you've gotten some very good and consistent comments in this thread, and it's basically:

1) HRE: 1" drop and relatively similar firmness to stock
2) GMG: 0.8" drop and a little firmer than stock

IMO TT Surgeon is spot on, if you are just looking for improved cornering then an aggressive alignment on the stock setup will do wonders. If you want to lower the car then choose once of the springs above, you'll be very happy in the final look and handling. and call GMG, they claim the stock shocks will not wear out any faster with their springs based on their testing.

Good Luck!
Art
Old 03-29-2015 | 12:48 AM
Doc V.
Racer

By now, jem7v, you've probably (i) removed those winter tires from your car and (ii) had your car properly aligned--issues which you identified and explained so effectively in your "Suspension upgrades" thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-upgrades.html). No doubt you addressed those issues before you invested in a new exhaust system for your car. Given the expectations that you have for your car, you just may have a defective, low-mileage car: it's "super bouncy" and doesn't respond well to your driver inputs. On the other hand, maybe Porsche engineered a car which simply isn't a match for your driving skills.

There's no need to take the TT Surgeon's advice by taking the car to a track to establish a baseline for its handling. That type of analytic, rational approach isn't for you. Your driving skills and your detailed knowledge of your car's handling are more than sufficient. Moreover, you've "tried reading as much material on this as possible. But everyone contradicts each other," and the relevant input that you've received in this thread--well, oddly, it's not what you want to hear since you've already conducted your own analysis by comparing your car with a "modded turbo S."

You ask for advice, you receive it, and then you try to refute the advice that you've received based on conclusions that you've already made.
Old 03-29-2015 | 02:17 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I have been happy with my GMG suspension bits on my RS.
Although i have H&R on my TT because they came with them, i typically would use GMG for something like springs.

I have damptronics for my TT for the when the day comes...
Old 03-29-2015 | 09:42 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doc V.
By now, jem7v, you've probably (i) removed those winter tires from your car and (ii) had your car properly aligned--issues which you identified and explained so effectively in your "Suspension upgrades" thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-upgrades.html). No doubt you addressed those issues before you invested in a new exhaust system for your car. Given the expectations that you have for your car, you just may have a defective, low-mileage car: it's "super bouncy" and doesn't respond well to your driver inputs. On the other hand, maybe Porsche engineered a car which simply isn't a match for your driving skills.

There's no need to take the TT Surgeon's advice by taking the car to a track to establish a baseline for its handling. That type of analytic, rational approach isn't for you. Your driving skills and your detailed knowledge of your car's handling are more than sufficient. Moreover, you've "tried reading as much material on this as possible. But everyone contradicts each other," and the relevant input that you've received in this thread--well, oddly, it's not what you want to hear since you've already conducted your own analysis by comparing your car with a "modded turbo S."

You ask for advice, you receive it, and then you try to refute the advice that you've received based on conclusions that you've already made.
You really just shouldn't speak anymore.......

Originally Posted by aa909
dude you crack me up. You say the car is too bouncy so folks recommend the GMG springs because they are stiffer/firmer and then you comment that they "want back surgery later in life" LOL!!

I think you've gotten some very good and consistent comments in this thread, and it's basically:

1) HRE: 1" drop and relatively similar firmness to stock
2) GMG: 0.8" drop and a little firmer than stock

IMO TT Surgeon is spot on, if you are just looking for improved cornering then an aggressive alignment on the stock setup will do wonders. If you want to lower the car then choose once of the springs above, you'll be very happy in the final look and handling. and call GMG, they claim the stock shocks will not wear out any faster with their springs based on their testing.

Good Luck!
Art
Well by bouncy I don't mean too soft. Have you noticed for instance if you go slowly in say a spot on the road where it curves in and down but it's not per say a sudden decline like a pot hole? It's hard for me to describe this. But the car will bounce a lot from that. And I know lowering springs will negate that. I guess it comes from the front springs being too soft that it causes a lot of nose dive. My last car had the same issue and lowering springs fixed it. But then it made the ride really unpleasant over rough roads. Then I ended up regretting that mod.

But on this car it seems lowering springs do not make it as bad, as per say on other cars. Problem is on this forum it seems everyone likes GMG. My only experience is H&R which then everyone here, and all tuners say sags. Now when I called another tuner, they say GMG is bad, H&R is bad, and that I should go techart.

Normally I'd just get the GMG and if they were too stiff try techart. But springs on this car to install in labor is 1k pretty much apparently. That is ridiculous. I need to make the right decision the first time.

It's adjustable and 35% stiffer, the heavily rwd biased tt will benefit from it just as much as its rwd cousin.
I've logged a lot of track time in 997 turbos and this bar really works.
Before jumping into mod madness, why not take it to the track in a bone stock configuration and really learn the car. Just my .02
I see. How much is the GT2 sway bar? So if I went GMG springs, you wouldn't recommend their sway bar set up? I know on their website it says they were meant to work together.
Old 03-29-2015 | 03:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I've used their (Gmg) bars, very good. I always like oem stuff when it's available. The gr2rs bar runs around 450$.
Fwiw, when ruf used to do the 997tt rturbo conversions they used their own spring which was closer to the HR with the oem gt2 rear bar.
They're all good, just pick one you're comfortable using
The gt2rs bar
Attached Images  

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 03-29-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2015 | 08:05 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Here's a cropped version of the photo I posted earlier. I didn't measure, but the GMG springs don't seem to have sagged at all, and feel as good as they did when I first installed them (with the DSC, they need this IMO). I'm running stock sway bars, as I don't have enough experience to be able to call out the need to upgrade.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2015 | 08:29 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I've used their (Gmg) bars, very good. I always like oem stuff when it's available. The gt2rs bar runs around 450$.
Fwiw, when ruf used to do the 997tt rturbo conversions they used their own spring which was closer to the HR with the oem gt2 rear bar.
They're all good, just pick one you're comfortable using
The gt2rs bar
Another
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2015 | 09:58 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nzskater
Here's a cropped version of the photo I posted earlier. I didn't measure, but the GMG springs don't seem to have sagged at all, and feel as good as they did when I first installed them (with the DSC, they need this IMO). I'm running stock sway bars, as I don't have enough experience to be able to call out the need to upgrade.
that's a great comparison pic. the black car really had the 4X4 look, the stance on the silver car looks perfect
Old 03-30-2015 | 01:29 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
Did you do springs before DSC? How is the ride with DSC and springs compared to stock?

As far as being bumpy. I'm sure the handling is completely transformed, that goes without saying. Particulary how is it in mode 1 and 2 compared to stock?
Old 03-30-2015 | 01:30 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Another
Are you using GT2 bar or GT2 RS bar? Or is there no difference? Also what about the end links? Aftermarket or OEM? I don't know but what in that car is spherical jointed? I know the lower control arms are.
Old 03-30-2015 | 03:48 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jem7v
Did you do springs before DSC? How is the ride with DSC and springs compared to stock? As far as being bumpy. I'm sure the handling is completely transformed, that goes without saying. Particulary how is it in mode 1 and 2 compared to stock?
I did springs first. They settled the car a fair bit, but with the stock unit it still porpoised a little on undulating surfaces in mode 1, and I found it too harsh a ride for anything but smooth surfaces in mode 2.

DSC fixed this. Mode one is a firmer, yet more compliant ride. The car no longer porpoises around, no longer feels floaty. Mode 2 is left on most of the time. Mode 3 is definitely stiffer, but is still usable every day.

Quick Reply: GMG or H&R springs