Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMG or H&R springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015 | 11:18 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
The reason there's not much feedback on Techart is because like Champion or GMG or any of the premium brands they aren't really making their own springs, they are just re-branding either H&R or Eibach. There really are very few players in the spring game. Our Turbo came with Champion (H&R) Springs. I think the ride height is perfect. My wife daily drives it without issue IDK what some of you guys are talking about when you say it's too low but this is all personal preference. However I will say they're just soft and squishy and really don't make the car handle any better at all. Our turbo is 99% street car though and since I like the way it sits the Champions will probably stay on there for now. I have 3 way JRZ motorsport struts and 900 lb springs on the GT3 for when I want to go to the track and have fun.
Agreed! Looks perfect!
Old 04-02-2015 | 01:34 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

The reason there's not much feedback on Techart is because like Champion or GMG or any of the premium brands they aren't really making their own springs, they are just re-branding either H&R or Eibach. There really are very few players in the spring game.

Our Turbo came with Champion (H&R) Springs. I think the ride height is perfect. My wife daily drives it without issue IDK what some of you guys are talking about when you say it's too low but this is all personal preference. However I will say they're just soft and squishy and really don't make the car handle any better at all. Our turbo is 99% street car though and since I like the way it sits the Champions will probably stay on there for now.

I have 3 way JRZ motorsport struts and 900 lb springs on the GT3 for when I want to go to the track and have fun.

Yea my friend who has the H&R I feel didn't really give it much of a performance benefit. It was just for show.

See sharkwerks tells me that techart is the way to go, and that it is significantly different from GMG or plain old eibach. But if they are all eibach at the end of the day, I doubt they configure each of them vastly different from the other. When in all the ads say "configured to techart specification" or "gmg specification" . I doubt eibach is making custom springs for either of these people.

I wonder if there is anyone here or has TPC stage 2 suspension package and is willing to comment. Because they also have a spring and sway bar package. Though their springs are eibach.
Old 04-02-2015 | 02:06 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

The reason there's not much feedback on Techart is because like Champion or GMG or any of the premium brands they aren't really making their own springs, they are just re-branding either H&R or Eibach. There really are very few players in the spring game.
So I think this is partially true. I've spoken to GMG and they claim they 100% design and test their spring based on their specs but they outsource the manufacturing as you stated to I think Eibach. So technically they aren't just simply buying off the shelf Eibach springs and rebranding them, but much like many "manufacturers" they design the product but outsource the actual manufacturing to a supplier with scale. Just another data point to consider.
Old 04-02-2015 | 03:23 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I doubt eibach is making custom springs for either of these people.
But they are - at least by their claims and I think it's reasonable.

Eibach makes springs for 1000s of cars. If you as an individual called them and requested a custom spring, they could make it for you as well. Eibach might be making the springs for Techart, GMG, and their own brand. But any of those companies can request different spring rates and materials. This results in different ride heights, ride quality, and performance. I think it's reasonable to believe that TechArt and GMG etc. don't buy the exact same spring and paint it a different color. It's probably the same amount of work to request a different spring from them based on their research and testing.
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter

Last edited by Dan@SharkWerks; 04-02-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2015 | 04:07 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
But they are - at least by their claims and I think it's reasonable.

Eibach makes springs for 1000s of cars. If you as an individual called them and requested a custom spring, they could make it for you as well. Eibach might be making the springs for Techart, GMG, and their own brand. But any of those companies can request different spring rates and materials. This results in different ride heights, ride quality, and performance. I think it's reasonable to believe that TechArt and GMG etc. don't buy the exact same spring and paint it a different color. It's probably the same amount of work to request a different spring from them based on their research and testing.
See this is what I initially believed but then 4 pages of people saying they are just rebranded turned my opinion.

If GMG and Techart design the spring and then just outsource to Eibach to manufacture then that's fine. But where then did all these stories of them using rebranded Eibach springs come from?
Old 04-02-2015 | 04:49 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jem7v
See this is what I initially believed but then 4 pages of people saying they are just rebranded turned my opinion.

If GMG and Techart design the spring and then just outsource to Eibach to manufacture then that's fine. But where then did all these stories of them using rebranded Eibach springs come from?
Are you talking about this thread? I just read all four pages before this one and found only two posts (on page 4), both speculating about it and no evidence.

I don't have the tools to measure/compare, but maybe if someone does they'll see if there's a difference.
Old 04-02-2015 | 05:47 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
Are you talking about this thread? I just read all four pages before this one and found only two posts (on page 4), both speculating about it and no evidence.

I don't have the tools to measure/compare, but maybe if someone does they'll see if there's a difference.
No other threads. I googled this on rennlist and 6speed before making a thread about it.
Old 04-02-2015 | 05:54 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jem7v
No other threads. I googled this on rennlist and 6speed before making a thread about it.
Dude you are so overthinking this whole spring thing. You've compiled enough info on these threads. Now, Call the companies and directly ask them all the questions you have and do a gut check on who is the most credible. Man up, make a decision and go with it. You're caught in what we call "analysis paralysis"... Or to put it another way you're worse than my wife with a dinner menu... Decisions decisions, LOL!!
Old 04-02-2015 | 06:05 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Easy solution buy coil overs!!
Old 04-02-2015 | 06:56 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909
Dude you are so overthinking this whole spring thing. You've compiled enough info on these threads. Now, Call the companies and directly ask them all the questions you have and do a gut check on who is the most credible. Man up, make a decision and go with it. You're caught in what we call "analysis paralysis"... Or to put it another way you're worse than my wife with a dinner menu... Decisions decisions, LOL!!
Old 04-02-2015 | 08:33 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

TA, Gmg are made by eilbach, the Gmg are to their own spec. TA also has their own spec, but made by eilbach. Eilbach makes a tuv spring that only lowers by 15mm, stiffer than the U.S. Version. All eilbach springs, all their own unique spec. Same for HR/ruf, etc Confused ? Like what was suggested, call them, pick one and go with it. You are waaaay overthinking this whole deal. C
Old 04-03-2015 | 12:46 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909
This is true.....lol. I like that "analysis paralysis".
Old 04-03-2015 | 12:47 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
TA, Gmg are made by eilbach, the Gmg are to their own spec. TA also has their own spec, but made by eilbach. Eilbach makes a tuv spring that only lowers by 15mm, stiffer than the U.S. Version. All eilbach springs, all their own unique spec. Same for HR/ruf, etc Confused ? Like what was suggested, call them, pick one and go with it. You are waaaay overthinking this whole deal. C
Yea. I think I'll do techart since Tag and Sharkwerks say those are the softest and still drop less than an inch. I was just going to do the eibach ones but if they are stiffer than the GMG or techart counterpart, I will just do techart.
Old 04-03-2015 | 01:01 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

This is my first 997tt back in '08 when farnbacherloles freshly installed gmg springs, sways, dog bones, toe links and a brand new set of cups.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2015 | 08:24 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Is it marketing? Yes, in simple words. Pick one and install them. May he beware.

Quick Reply: GMG or H&R springs