Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To upgrade or to modify ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015 | 03:19 PM
Jean-marc Rif
Intermediate

Default To upgrade or to modify ?

Hey guys, i'm a newbie to rennlist and I really appreciate what you guys are doing providing insight to both old and new Porsche owners. I bought my 07 TT in 2012 under warranty with barely 11000 km on it. Have driven it for 2+ years now and always serviced it at Porsche center. Now I'm torn between upgrading to a PDK TT or modding my current one which now has 35000 km and is no longer under warranty. For Mods I was thinking europipe stage 1 exhaust, GT2 RS Intercoolers, a softronic flash, new spark plugs, stereo upgrade (pioneer unit with Apple car play, Del Rey customs kit), HRE p101 wheels. Money wise I think the Mods would come up to the same $$ figure as buying a 997.2 TT or TTS. I am inclined to modding for the fun of it, what do you guys think?
Old 02-15-2015 | 03:22 PM
Jean-marc Rif
Intermediate

The Car In GT Silver
Old 02-15-2015 | 03:33 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Some folks here are purist and don't care for modding, others like me can't stop playing with it. So I'd go with nodding your turbo. For starters I'd keep the 977.1 for the Mezger block alone. Almost unlimited modding and power potential. Tranny is the only weak spot, but you can upgrade that as well. And you know your car already, so no surprises. Before modding I'd do a full check of everything including a compression test to make sure everything is healthy, and then start playing. If you have a "new" car itch, and want a PDK car, or switch it up a bit do that. No right or wrong decision here. But if I would have found a low milage turbo with the Mezger engine I would have pulled the trigger on that.
Old 02-15-2015 | 03:38 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Mostly agree with team p, the Mezger is one of a kind. I'd keep and mod it to your desire. Re the tranny, the g50-6 is one of the toughest transmissions ever made, the clutch may need upgrading but that's about it. If you have a tip, it's the same amg Mercedes unit, it's bulletproof. C
Old 02-15-2015 | 03:45 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Agree with TP and TT. But I've never owned a car I didn't modify to my liking... So I'm probably not a good one to ask for an unbiased opinion
Old 02-15-2015 | 05:26 PM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Modify. Unleash the Monster!
Old 02-15-2015 | 06:13 PM
Jean-marc Rif
Intermediate

Default Tranny ?

TP the only reason I'm considering modifying the car and not changing it is the apparent potential (from what I have read in the forums) of the Mezger engine. Considering the tranny is a Tip, is that a plus or an Achilles heal with the extra HP and Torque?
Old 02-15-2015 | 06:16 PM
MY997
Racer

I say go for it...between the factory extended warranty and CPO on my car I may have to wait until 2018...not sure I will make it???
Old 02-15-2015 | 06:30 PM
phillipj
Drifting

I say mod it and keep it... And no the TIP will be fine with the mods. I would look into the COBB tune. They seem to have the best ECU software product out there right now..
Old 02-15-2015 | 06:35 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jean-marc Rif
TP the only reason I'm considering modifying the car and not changing it is the apparent potential (from what I have read in the forums) of the Mezger engine. Considering the tranny is a Tip, is that a plus or an Achilles heal with the extra HP and Torque?
The tip is absolutely bulletproof, there's upgraded software available for it as well.
Old 02-15-2015 | 07:11 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Your mods are going to be over 20k including labor. I'd get the new car. Actually I'd get a GT3 if this isn't your DD.
Old 02-15-2015 | 08:27 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jem7v
Your mods are going to be over 20k including labor. I'd get the new car. Actually I'd get a GT3 if this isn't your DD.
IMO an exhaust and tune is a minimum on the 997 TT (.1 or .2) so regardless of keeping the .1 or swapping for a .2TT, you gotta do these two mods. IMO modding your 997.1 will give you that fresh feel and the power gains from the tune and improved sound from the EP is a pleasure. A stock .2 TT will not scratch that itch IMO.

And going from a TT to a GT3 will cost you huge amounts of real world drive able torque. While the GT3 is a great car, just be ready for the power drop which can be a big disappointment if you weren't anticipating it. But the sound is better
Old 02-15-2015 | 08:34 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jean-marc Rif
It will be a while until you need to upgrade that one. Good for 650-700hp... that's when the PDK would start slipping. So def a plus for you and modding.

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The tip is absolutely bulletproof, there's upgraded software available for it as well.
Agreed! While not my favorite transmission it will handle gobs of torque.
Old 02-15-2015 | 10:28 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909
IMO an exhaust and tune is a minimum on the 997 TT (.1 or .2) so regardless of keeping the .1 or swapping for a .2TT, you gotta do these two mods. IMO modding your 997.1 will give you that fresh feel and the power gains from the tune and improved sound from the EP is a pleasure. A stock .2 TT will not scratch that itch IMO.

And going from a TT to a GT3 will cost you huge amounts of real world drive able torque. While the GT3 is a great car, just be ready for the power drop which can be a big disappointment if you weren't anticipating it. But the sound is better
The GT3 is better in every way. Except ride harshness and torque.

But to the OP if you go the .1 route here is what I would do. Find a special PTS one if possible with tons of options. Or just any with tons of options. Then get the following:

TPC DSC
Dectan tails
Tune of your choice
BBI, kline, or europipe exhaust
MAcarbon steering wheel
HRE p101 or better yet BBS F1. I'd go BBS F1 since you won't have center locks
BBI suspension to make it handle like it should.
Old 02-16-2015 | 12:32 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by jem7v
The GT3 is better in every way. Except ride harshness and torque. But to the OP if you go the .1 route here is what I would do. Find a special PTS one if possible with tons of options. Or just any with tons of options. Then get the following: TPC DSC Dectan tails Tune of your choice BBI, kline, or europipe exhaust MAcarbon steering wheel HRE p101 or better yet BBS F1. I'd go BBS F1 since you won't have center locks BBI suspension to make it handle like it should.
Disagree on the GT3... totally different car, and purpose, down to the power delivery. Can't really compare it. You wanna go fast around the track - the GT3 is your weapon of choice (although the turbo is quite capable). Wanna trap some speeds at a quarter or half mile events - the turbo is the way to go.

I do agree on the BBS though, but it's FI not F1...

Quick Reply: To upgrade or to modify ?