Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To upgrade or to modify ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 02:22 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Turbo is faster around the track too.....
Old 02-16-2015, 06:40 AM
Jean-marc Rif
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Turbo is my daily driver and much more than that. Its my two year old's ride to kindergarten (he's addicted to the accelerations and keeps asking for more "Vroom Vroom !". Its the car my wife wouldn't have us go out without when going out at night, and its 90% of the time the quickest vehicle wherever I'm at which gives any car lover like myself constant satisfaction. Call than an all rounder, no GT can ever come close to giving you this diversity.

School ride
Old 02-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

new car. Mods will reduce your ability to resell the car and can give you any number of headaches that you don't get with the stock platform.

Then again, the stock 997.1 tt is a good car, so why not just leave it alone and save the money?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
new car. Mods will reduce your ability to resell the car and can give you any number of headaches that you don't get with the stock platform.

Then again, the stock 997.1 tt is a good car, so why not just leave it alone and save the money?
Disagree again, It depends on the mods, who installs them, and what was changed. You will lose some money on the mods when you resell, since you should take them off and sell them individually, and if high-quality mods you get about 50 cents to the dollar depending what you have. I've done that with my e92 M3, and the 991C2S. No issues. Part it out, sell the car, sell the mods.

The only big issue is if you install a cage and you have to cut the carpet, even then the dealer didn't really care.

In terms of headaches it comes down to your dealership, and again to the mods. If you are very worried about your warranty, yes, I'd say away, but you don't simply void it automatically. High quality mods don't really cause you any headaches. An exhaust has little chance to cause you issues, and basically any dealership won't even blink an eye. Larger intercoolers are better for your motor, so again, no issues. Bigger turbos normally run cooler believe it or not, so I don't see a problem there either. And suspension, wheels, etc.. is a non-issue. In my last 8 years of modding I have yet to run into any problems, or even meet anybody who dealt with any hassles. You run into a problem when the master tech has to escalate an issue to Porsche NA, but that normally would mean something catastrophic happened in which case you just burn the car down anyway.

But I agree with you on the stock platform - great as it is, and the money aspect is all relative; for example I don't understand my neighbor who spends tons of money on golf resort trips....
Old 02-16-2015, 10:45 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Golf is very addicting ...
Old 02-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Disagree again, It depends on the mods, who installs them, and what was changed. You will lose some money on the mods when you resell, since you should take them off and sell them individually, and if high-quality mods you get about 50 cents to the dollar depending what you have. I've done that with my e92 M3, and the 991C2S. No issues. Part it out, sell the car, sell the mods.

The only big issue is if you install a cage and you have to cut the carpet, even then the dealer didn't really care.

In terms of headaches it comes down to your dealership, and again to the mods. If you are very worried about your warranty, yes, I'd say away, but you don't simply void it automatically. High quality mods don't really cause you any headaches. An exhaust has little chance to cause you issues, and basically any dealership won't even blink an eye. Larger intercoolers are better for your motor, so again, no issues. Bigger turbos normally run cooler believe it or not, so I don't see a problem there either. And suspension, wheels, etc.. is a non-issue. In my last 8 years of modding I have yet to run into any problems, or even meet anybody who dealt with any hassles. You run into a problem when the master tech has to escalate an issue to Porsche NA, but that normally would mean something catastrophic happened in which case you just burn the car down anyway.

But I agree with you on the stock platform - great as it is, and the money aspect is all relative; for example I don't understand my neighbor who spends tons of money on golf resort trips....
really depends where you draw the line on mods. That said, I don't think you'll find any aftermarket tuning thats as well tested as the stock tune.

I've had plenty of experience with modified cars, and I'm pretty much over it beyond minor suspension and exhaust mods.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:05 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
The GT3 is better in every way. Except ride harshness and torque.
unmodified the TT has 500 ft-lbs of torque vs the GT3's 300. and that's before an exhaust and tune on the TT which will push that number north of 550. I don't think you can simply dismiss this huge power delta as just another variable, especially since 90% of us drive torque on the street and don't track our cars.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:39 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
really depends where you draw the line on mods. That said, I don't think you'll find any aftermarket tuning thats as well tested as the stock tune. I've had plenty of experience with modified cars, and I'm pretty much over it beyond minor suspension and exhaust mods.
Agree with that, minor stuff (minor exhaust, suspension, mild tune) is fine, the big stuff results in a frankenturbo if you go too far. They're all over fleabay with the body mods, the giant wings, 900hp kits, etc.....off my soapbox jmo
Aa909, I've never been to a track in s turbo, even stock, that had any problems catching a gt3...gt2 is another story.
C
Old 02-16-2015, 11:51 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Disagree on the GT3... totally different car, and purpose, down to the power delivery. Can't really compare it. You wanna go fast around the track - the GT3 is your weapon of choice (although the turbo is quite capable). Wanna trap some speeds at a quarter or half mile events - the turbo is the way to go.

I do agree on the BBS though, but it's FI not F1...
FI...F1 same thing lol. But how could you say the GT3 isn't a better car? It is. Extremely better handling, better engine note, more fun to drive.

The turbo is the better DD and better straight line car. But on the street it is more rewarding to have a good sound and better handling. Besides the GT3 straight line is 0-60 in 3.5. That is fast enough. You don't need 2.9.

Now for me this only holds true for the 997. If you say 991, the GT3 is better in just every way possible. Straight line power gets old real quick. The only advantage left is AWD, and if it isn't snowing 8 inches, or if you have a 2nd car that advantage is null.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:56 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

I just spent 2500 on new titleist clubs. Golf is expensive to do right lol.

Originally Posted by aa909
unmodified the TT has 500 ft-lbs of torque vs the GT3's 300. and that's before an exhaust and tune on the TT which will push that number north of 550. I don't think you can simply dismiss this huge power delta as just another variable, especially since 90% of us drive torque on the street and don't track our cars.
Nah. The stock torque on the regular turbo even is all you need on the street. To be honest the 981 boxster S is fast enough on the street. When I drive that, it really is perfect. But when you floor it and it stops going faster at an increasing rate, then you think, "I really wish I had a bit more power". In comes the GT3. More power and torque and that is enough.

The problem with the 997 GT3 isn't the torque, its the manual. PDK makes everything faster. When I drove a regular C2S 991 manual it felt slow. But when I drove a PDK C2S 991, I was like "damn this car is fast".

That's why the 991 GT3 IMO is the best 991 to date, short of the GT2 RS and 4.0
Old 02-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 977 Posts

I think "better" is a relative term. I agree that for somebody who drives their car on the track with some regularity, the GT3 is better. However, for somebody who drives their car on the street every day and doesn't track the car, then I think the turbo is better. As much as I'd love to have a GT3, I'd rather have my turbo because of the way that I use it. For me, the turbo is better.

What makes one car better than another is heavily dependent upon the priorities of the owner or driver. in jem7v's case, he prioritizes the strengths of the GT3 and for him, that car is better.

I also agree with the comments on mods. In some cases, I think they make the car harder to sell. In some cases, I think they add to the value and make the car easier to sell. It really depends on the mods. When I was searching for my TT, I didn't even bother looking for cars that had been modified in any way. My philosophy has always been that if I want a modded car, then I'd like to be the one to choose exactly how I want to modify it.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:55 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think "better" is a relative term. I agree that for somebody who drives their car on the track with some regularity, the GT3 is better. However, for somebody who drives their car on the street every day and doesn't track the car, then I think the turbo is better. As much as I'd love to have a GT3, I'd rather have my turbo because of the way that I use it. For me, the turbo is better.

What makes one car better than another is heavily dependent upon the priorities of the owner or driver. in jem7v's case, he prioritizes the strengths of the GT3 and for him, that car is better.

I also agree with the comments on mods. In some cases, I think they make the car harder to sell. In some cases, I think they add to the value and make the car easier to sell. It really depends on the mods. When I was searching for my TT, I didn't even bother looking for cars that had been modified in any way. My philosophy has always been that if I want a modded car, then I'd like to be the one to choose exactly how I want to modify it.
Well said. Me personally, while I love the torque of the turbo, after driving one every day I'm starting to think the car is rather numb, compared to every other porsche in the line up. But for the 997, I think the turbo is the best. For the 991 on the other hand, the GT3, then 4 or regular GTS, then turbo S would be my order of choice. Maybe even convertible GTS. It was a tough choice for me to choose between that and the TTS. So it really came down to the fact I wouldn't lose as much in depreciation, since I liked the GTS slightly more than the TTS, but it wasn't worth the 60k I'd lose on it, compared to the 20-30k I'd lose on the 997 TTS in the same time.

The mod thing though, I feel if someone uses the highest quality mods it should add value. But I am in the minority. I think if someone riced out their car, regardless of what car it is, shows they most likely abused the car, and either had no appreciation or intelligence to improve what Porsche has given us already. Therefor you should stay clear away from those types of owners.

You can't mod this car in a penny pincher way otherwise you will make it worse. I would stay away from those and buy the cars with the europipe or any other 5k exhausts, TPC/BBI/ERP suspensions, and HRE/BBS wheels. And then of course tunes from the most reputable places such as EVO,GIAC,Cobb.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Jean-marc Rif
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My thoughts exactly

I was thinking that today, upon resale disconnect the mods and sell them separately and make no mention of them to the new owner in order to avoid price bartering on basis of non-original parts. Ethical question remains, are you fooling the buyer into buying a car and engine that has taken more wear/mile due to increased hp than stock.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:16 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I would keep the Mezger engine and mod away, tune-exhaust-wheels-LED tail lights is all you need to make the car refresh and add values.
997.1TT is the best all around car in all 997 class, except 997.2 GT3, but .2 GT3 you give up comfortable ride, rear seats for your children and torque/HP and that big grin on your face when the massive turbo torque kick in
I think 991 GT3 or GT4 would be a nice addition to my 997.1TT but I would never sell mine. In fact, someone offer me $85k for my 2008TT but I kindly decline.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean-marc Rif

I was thinking that today, upon resale disconnect the mods and sell them separately and make no mention of them to the new owner in order to avoid price bartering on basis of non-original parts. Ethical question remains, are you fooling the buyer into buying a car and engine that has taken more wear/mile due to increased hp than stock.
Yes you are...always be straight up..,

Quick Reply: To upgrade or to modify ?