Sponsored by:

997.1 vs 997.2 clutch price

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Knut993TT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 vs 997.2 clutch price

Sold my 993TT a few months ago and a one owner DBL 997.2TT (2010) with 20K miles arrived in my garage last week. The vehicle is still under factory warranty and a PPI (Porsche dealer) was conducted before the purchase was completed. No major issues were identified, overrevs only 1&2. I quickly realized that the clutch would begin to slip if pushed in 4th or 5th gear. I suggested the original dealer would cover 50% of the replacement cost, but did not make much progress. Accordingly to my local Porsche dealer, a new clutch for a 997.2 is about $4400 installed. A 997.1 would be around $2200. From what I understand, a 997.2 require additional parts. Can anybody provide some insight on what parts are involved on a 997.2 clutch repair? Let's hope the flywheel is OK, I don't need another surprise......

Thanks

Knut
Old 11-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 280 Posts

If you bought the car from a pcar dealer they should replace the clutch and not mess with you (of course it may depend a little on how long you've had it).
If they mess with you, try Westmont Porsche (Chicago area)...Russ is the service manger and a great guy and he can help you or at least escalate with PCNA.

If you bought private or others the clutch is not covered under warranty: "wear and tear"

Last edited by Igooz; 11-28-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:37 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

People must really be abusive to clutches to wear them out in 20 k miles. I have 65k on my original clutch. And I have a tune and exhaust.. I don't torture my clutch and I drive my car hard everyday. Still no slip..

I believe the reason they say they want $4400 for a clutch on the 997-2 is because the book says that engine has to be removed. The book also says that for the 997 -1. But most mechanics and smart people know that the engine does not have to come out to replace the clutch on either car.

I would follow IGOOZ advice and make a claim with the PCNA. You should not have to pay the whole price for a clutch..

They will always say no at first...Let us know what happens.. And you shouldn't need a flywheel with that few miles.. Unless the clutch was totally abused..
Old 12-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Knut993TT
Track Day

Default Now a Flywheel issue

Just spoke with the service rep and I was told the flywheel had some heat scarring and it did not "bounce back". From what I understand, this dual-mass flywheel has some sort of springs behind it which don't apper to function correctly. I am planning to swing by the shop later today and see the flywheel first hand. They have the Porsche rep involved in trying to locate a flywheel. There are none in the US and it is listed as back log with Porsche. Anyway, my question is, does this sound as a wear-item or a defect for the dual-mass flywheel? At this point, I am facing a $5-6K repair cost for a wear-item on a car still under warranty.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 202 Posts

Most shops won't resurface dual mass flywheels and suggest replacing them along with the clutch.

And yes, unfortunately the clutch is considered a wear item and not covered by any time of new car, CPO, or aftermarket warranty. I'm pretty sure same applies to the flywheel but you might want to check on that.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Knut993TT
Track Day

The car only has 20K miles on it. Again, I have very limited knowledge about dual mass flywheels, but I would think the wear and tear would be for the clutch itself and possible the flywheel if the clutch was the root cause of the problem. However, if the flywheel has a mechanical "spring tension" issue, it is more a mechanical design issue vs wear and tear?
Old 12-06-2013, 01:42 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I get it man, I was just there in the spring. Car was CPO, clutch was slipping. DMF also had to be replaced. All on my own dime. Not pretty but now I know I have a good clutch that will last me a while. I went with the Sachs Stage 2.5 but I don't know if it is available for the DFI motor. It is stronger than the stocker and I like it a lot.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

The DMF feature has some kind of spring -- may not be an actual spring but something like rubber (tough of course much tougher) -- that when the flywheel is rotated a certain number of degrees has to return the flywheel to its starting position. This is the simple explanation. There may be (probably are) specific numbers. (I've watched techs check flywheels but never noted the actual numbers.)

Anyhow, given the clutch is slipping at 20K miles I suspect the treatment the clutch received from the previous owner probably accounts for the flywheel's short life as well.

I would think that with essentially you putting no miles on the car since you bought it this would come under a previous condition and should be covered. I know I have watched techs replace clutches in used cars prior to them being sold and I know of one instance where a guy bought a used Cayman S and drove it around 3K miles and the brake wear light came on and he complained and the dealer relented and replaced the brake pads/rotors/etc on goodwill.

But how to get the selling dealer to see it as its responsibility that's a tough question.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Knut993TT
Track Day

Vivid racing offer a single mass LWFW clutch kit. The FX-250 offer improved holding power over an OEM clutch. Except for some additional chatter noise, are there any negative experiences with such a kit?

Again, if I can argue the DMF is a warranty issue and get it replaced accordingly, fine. However, the car has already been in the shop for close to two weeks and there is no ETA for a replacement DMF, the after market clutch might be a resonable option?

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/#...&c8=38&c9=6026
Old 12-06-2013, 06:34 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I put a LWFW initially in the TT and it was the OEM 964RS LWFW that's been the standard since the early 1990s. It sounded horrible. I couldn't live with it so I replaced it with the OEM DMF.

Mind you, I've had LWFW in 3 of my other Porsches and loved it, that's why I went with it. On the 997TT it was a nightmare. The car sounded like it was broken.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up forums are priceless

love the amount of info spewing from this volcano of experience!
many thanx to the members that share all this info
Old 12-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Silver997TT
Advanced

I just installed Sachs stage 2 clutch(752 PP with sprung disk) and 964RS SMF. Surprisingly I don't hear chatter or tranny noise. Very minor noise at idle from outside only. Car feels solid and strong. Throttle response is awesome and rev matching is so much easier. I'm really happy with it.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...997-gt2-2.html

Go to post 23...
Old 12-07-2013, 04:13 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Knut993TT
Vivid racing offer a single mass LWFW clutch kit. The FX-250 offer improved holding power over an OEM clutch. Except for some additional chatter noise, are there any negative experiences with such a kit?

Again, if I can argue the DMF is a warranty issue and get it replaced accordingly, fine. However, the car has already been in the shop for close to two weeks and there is no ETA for a replacement DMF, the after market clutch might be a resonable option?

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/#...&c8=38&c9=6026

Vivid racing only sells garbage and they are crooks and liars.. Do not buy anything from those scumbags. They make false claims, have ZERO customer service and basically everything they sell is made in China and is crap.. And if Dan has a problem with my statements F him...

You have been warned.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:18 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Listen to Phillip or take the risk and get fuked over

Quick Reply: 997.1 vs 997.2 clutch price