Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the new 991PDK is good. Better then good. Especially in the 991GT3.

But you will want a manual tranny porsche in your garage to go with it if you are a true purist.

991 is the generation of daily driving. It is to be used and used a lot. Anybody who keeps them parked for slight weekend use is missing the big picture of this new design.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:37 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You have a good point..

But a depreciating asset like a daily driver car for 200k makes no sense for most of us.. Lease maybe... Purchase no...

I guess if you have the 200k to spend it it is no issue.. I (sadly to say) do not (violins)..

And if i did pay that much the car should have it's own unique interior.. Not the same interior of all other Porsche models. The interior sucks.. Plain and simple.. Compare it to any other 200k sports car and it fails miserably.. If it is going to be the most expensive turbo ever made than every part of it should be extraordinary.

Everytime I go to the Porsche showroom and sit in a new 991 or Cayman I forget what model I am sitting in..I get out and look inside and just say "I hate that interior"

Maybe they should have let the team that designed the wheels do the interior as well

That's of course just my opinion..

I guess I have exhausted this topic. Can't wait to drive the 991. Then maybe I will change my opinion. But I doubt it..
Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

I too hate the interior, definitely not sports car like inside.
Reminds me of a Lexus.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

One thing that really stinks in PDK is the amount of time that it takes for the transmission to change direction. IE) D to R or R to D.

My 7TT is a TIP since I used to commute with it...two years ago I test drove a TTS (PDK) as I was thinking about changing DDs, so I got a loaner for a couple of days...when doing 3 point turns, or city parallel parking, the damn transmission needed me to come to a complete stop, then the transmission would take 1/2 second-1 sec to change direction, and I'd just be sitting in traffic like a sitting-duck! Trust me, not fun in Chicago traffic, and the time delay in traffic felt too long...with TIP you can switch directions really quick because of the torque converter instead of a clutch/mechanical transmission (PDK)
Old 10-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

I wonder if the launch control SW in the PDK is inadvertently causing this slowness to engage in the opposite direction.

Sat in a 991 at the dealer a couple weeks ago. The seats were awesome good, even compared to my Adaptives. The rest, not so much. Certainly not $200K worth.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Agree w Ilko, I had a pdk tts for almost a yr...it's an automatic, trust me. The first month was great, I soon stopped using the paddles and just left it in drive like the other drones commuting. In that mode a tip is smoother. I got really bored and sold it.
That's where I do not agree. Automatic transmissions have a Torque Converter, the famous slushbox, that is what made them sloppy.

The first computer controlled clutched transmission began in Formula1, and Ferrari was one of the first ones to adopt in a street car with the 355F1. These transmissions are exactly like a manual transmission but a computer controls the clutch and gear changes, but the coupling between the engine and the transmission is the same, same clutch same pressure plate.

Porsche PDK is a little different with two wet clutches, however, the direct engagement between engine and transmission is true, no torque converter, not slushbox feeling.

Now, is it more fun to change gears yourself, yes that could be, but is PDK an automatic as we know automatics to be, no they are not.
Again, on a 993 I would never have a Tiptronic, only stick.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
One thing that really stinks in PDK is the amount of time that it takes for the transmission to change direction. IE) D to R or R to D.

My 7TT is a TIP since I used to commute with it...two years ago I test drove a TTS (PDK) as I was thinking about changing DDs, so I got a loaner for a couple of days...when doing 3 point turns, or city parallel parking, the damn transmission needed me to come to a complete stop, then the transmission would take 1/2 second-1 sec to change direction, and I'd just be sitting in traffic like a sitting-duck! Trust me, not fun in Chicago traffic, and the time delay in traffic felt too long...with TIP you can switch directions really quick because of the torque converter instead of a clutch/mechanical transmission (PDK)
well then. that is something i did not know. Sounds annoying.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:10 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustomf
That's where I do not agree. Automatic transmissions have a Torque Converter, the famous slushbox, that is what made them sloppy.

The first computer controlled clutched transmission began in Formula1, and Ferrari was one of the first ones to adopt in a street car with the 355F1. These transmissions are exactly like a manual transmission but a computer controls the clutch and gear changes, but the coupling between the engine and the transmission is the same, same clutch same pressure plate.

Porsche PDK is a little different with two wet clutches, however, the direct engagement between engine and transmission is true, no torque converter, not slushbox feeling.

Now, is it more fun to change gears yourself, yes that could be, but is PDK an automatic as we know automatics to be, no they are not.
Maybe no tq converter, but it does shift automatically for you without a clutch, that's the original description of an automatic.
It's a great tranny on the track, but boring as hell on the street IMHO.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Augustomf

Tiptronc is NOT a slush box. Yes, it is a torque converter tranny, but it is an electronically controlled transmission with a TCU, solenoids, valves, etc and on the CAN bus sync'd to the DME...Slush box is the definition for the old mechanical Torque Converter transmission such as a 2speed power glide or TH350, 400, ..., where all the mechanical transmission would do was to slip the transmission for drivability until TC lock-up, etc...if you recall there was valve bodies sometimes pressure actuated and some times kick-down controlled...but overall very crude, 2 or 3 speed, and very slippery... Thus Slushbox...
Old 10-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

well then. that is something i did not know. Sounds annoying.
Try it and see what you think...but it drove me nuts...
Old 10-11-2013, 06:21 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't quite get this argument that PDK is not an automatic tranny. if you can drive it in automatic shift mode where the computer is doing the shifts for you then it's an automatic transmission

you'll get no argument from me that the PDK is a piece of world class performance engineering, but as others have said driving an auto tranny for my "fun" car is boring. Now I might change my tune if I get an aventador some day but then the thrill will likely come from just owning that damned thing LOL!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:03 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 pedals otherwise its and automatic. Keep your 6 speed mezger boys don't be the guy who sold his 993.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Apparently, having an automatic has advantages we need to consider:

Old 10-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

LOL! So if you have a head-set then can you eat a taco with one hand and a Big Gulp with the other?!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:12 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

awesome...

Quick Reply: New 991 TTS