Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.6 vs 3.8?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:24 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

The moment you have all the parts pm me, I have everything you need regarding schemes, etc.

Regarding the rerouting of the PSM/Sport/PSAM control unit.
Look at yours and look at the one used on the 997/2.
The buttons are in an other location. Apparently that does not work with our cars. So internally the new part must be reworked. That is what a Greek member who did it explained to me.
Maybe there is a way around it (making an adaptor?) but that I do not know.

PCM3 or heated seats remark : do not understand.
If you have heated seats now you will still have heated seats with PCM3.
Airco control unit will be of course the one with the buttons for heated seats.
You can find the correct part number in the PET file (free download from Porsche.com). I can look it up for you if needed.
I have GT2 seats (non heated of course) so I need the control unit without seat heating.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if people like us will not buy the next gen Porsche? I really am not looking forward to a PDK car. And I dislike the interior immensely. I wonder If I will have a "Jones" for the new turbo after driving t that I had with my current TT? I guess time will tell.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
I wonder if people like us will not buy the next gen Porsche? I really am not looking forward to a PDK car. And I dislike the interior immensely. I wonder If I will have a "Jones" for the new turbo after driving t that I had with my current TT? I guess time will tell.
It is a very good question. I've numerous times looked at styles, initially to dislike, to later like. BMW's have had a design pattern with me, as if I'm 10 years behind them, right? Again, the new 3-series looks awkward with it's new big bulbous nose to keep compliant with new European safety laws. Will I like it later? Who can tell. Porsche is the same. This being said, I still years later am not a fan of the basic 996. With some hips, as in the C4S and TT, it begins to look good.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:53 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
The moment you have all the parts pm me, I have everything you need regarding schemes, etc...

PCM3 or heated seats remark : do not understand...
Thanks Denis. Your list mentioned the AC unit without heated seats. I didn't realize the "without heated seats" was just specific to your situation. I thought maybe the seat heaters weren't compatible with the PCM re-work.

I was kidding anyway. I live in Charlotte, NC which as far as I can tell is warming at a rate of 5* per year. I think we have Miami's climate from ten years ago. I figure if I need the seat heaters, then it's too cold for the tires. No such thing as winter tires around here.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd take the 3.8 any day over the 3.6. The .2 car is just a better car all round. To say the engine is weaker....well exactly where is it going to be weaker for 99.999% of operators. And what is the actual percentage that buy these cars to tear the engine down after every road trip or track day? The mezger race angine and car engines share the same block...that's basically it. Not sure what all the fuss is really about here.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

The 9A1 engine is fine, modern and looks to be reliable.
But it's no mezger.

True dry sump.
Can be modified to one harts content and still be very reliable.
It has a direct racing heritage and it creates an aura of indestructibility.
Porsche itself uses the same basic engine for racing the 991.

Combine all that with 'last' and all the ingredients are there to have a classic which will be collectible in the future.

That being said, all 997 turbo manuals will become collectible. Also the 9A1 manuals.
Even the turbo tiptronic has a chance to become somewhat collectible. Depends just how big the desirability of 'the last mezger turbo' will become.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:01 AM
speed21
Banned

The 9A1 engine is fine, modern and looks to be reliable.
But it's no mezger.

True dry sump.
Can be modified to one harts content and still be very reliable.
It has a direct racing heritage and it creates an aura of indestructibility.
Porsche itself uses the same basic engine for racing the 991.

Combine all that with 'last' and all the ingredients are there to have a classic which will be collectible in the future.

That being said, all 997 turbo manuals will become collectible. Also the 9A1 manuals.
Even the turbo tiptronic has a chance to become somewhat collectible. Depends just how big the desirability of 'the last mezger turbo' will become.
Post 9 paragraph 2 pretty well says it all.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ck-turbos.html

Collectable? In your dreams. How old are you and how long do you have to collect on any financial benefit? We can all get nostalgic but life moves on. I remember all the fuss and ecstasy surrounding the 964 twin turbo and how it was just the best car ever after the 930T. 993 came out and the moaning over how this is lost and that is lost, visceral this visceral that, but how many today would swap their 997tt's for a 930T. It's a bit like living in memory of the model T. and saying that was the pinnacle of motoring nirvana and stopping there. Well life goes on boys. Things do get better whether we choose to like it or accept it. Money usually comes in to play i might add lol but being able to accept change is always a challenge at times but time sorts everything out. It'll be the same here with the .2 3.8 vs the blessed 3.6 and it will be the same with 991tt and 992tt and so on. Not saying 997tt isnt a great car but it is aging and it all eventually comes down to what we get used to and how easy it is to let goof what we have now, pony up and move forward. I like moving forward. Don't like the paying bit but thats always been the hard part. You guys are just luckier with your car pricing.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by speed21
Post 9 paragraph 2 pretty well says it all.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ck-turbos.html
Porsche seems to disagree, otherwise the 9A1 would have been used in the cup cars. It was a decision based on cost and fuel economy to use the 9A1 in the road GT3. The mezger continues in the Cup.

Now, for Collectability. It's something you have no expierence with so I understand your reasoning. Many are like you. Replace the old with the new and enjoy. When newer comes along get that. I think this is a great attitude as it keeps new car sales strong and businesses, well in business. I do the same but my budget is big enough to just keep the old

But do not simply discard the 'collector' cars as nonsense.
This has nothing to do with the older ones being 'better'. They are not !
I agree the 991 turbo will be much 'better' than a 997 turbo.

I used to collect Porsche's and therefore just one example , the 993S I bought in 2006. Paid 46000 euro for it. That car sold this year for 75000 euro.
A 993S , compared to any modern Porsche, drives like , well you know. Not so good. Still it sold for more money than like new 997/2 Carrera's.
And it will continue to rise.

It's a different market driven by emotions. Nothing to do with 'better'.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 AM
speed21
Banned

Porsche seems to disagree, otherwise the 9A1 would have been used in the cup cars. It was a decision based on cost and fuel economy to use the 9A1 in the road GT3. The mezger continues in the Cup.

Now, for Collectability. It's something you have no expierence with so I understand your reasoning. Many are like you. Replace the old with the new and enjoy. When newer comes along get that. I think this is a great attitude as it keeps new car sales strong and businesses, well in business. I do the same but my budget is big enough to just keep the old

But do not simply discard the 'collector' cars as nonsense.
This has nothing to do with the older ones being 'better'. They are not !
I agree the 991 turbo will be much 'better' than a 997 turbo.

I used to collect Porsche's and therefore just one example , the 993S I bought in 2006. Paid 46000 euro for it. That car sold this year for 75000 euro.
A 993S , compared to any modern Porsche, drives like , well you know. Not so good. Still it sold for more money than like new 997/2 Carrera's.
And it will continue to rise.

It's a different market driven by emotions. Nothing to do with 'better'.
But cup cars aren't driven on the street. The turbo is essentially a road car and for that matter it stands up perfectly well under the rigors of ring testing and god knows where else at the hands of professionals that could extract far more from the car and the engine than 99.999% of 997tt.2 and 991tt.1 buyers could even dream of. I wouldn't get too caught up in the mezger street engine variant. It has manifested far more issues than any 9A1tt engine lol going by my contacts. In so far as my collecting stuff you are presumptuous but that's ok. I never show my hand. But on the score of cars unless you are Jay Leno or have an air conditioned aircraft hanger what we buy we generally like to drive. Nothing worse than sniffing the tailpipes of something far less than what you are in. But hey to each his own. 997tt's time is coming. 997tt.2's time is a bit further back.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:05 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

In so far as my collecting stuff you are presumptuous but that's ok. I never show my hand..
I really do not think I was :

Well at the prices we pay for our cars out here i guess i won't be collecting any time soon. Too many other priorities. I'm currently into collecting memories and money lol. To have but not to hold is not all its cracked up to be in my experience. Pleasure is in using things i find...and even then I'm struggling to do that with 3 cars in the household least of all half a dozen...
That is the only reason I wrote what I wrote. I take it things haven't changed from when you posted this last year ?

Anyway, I get your point, the new cars are better. Luckily for the old cars there's a strong following and that will be no different for the last Mezger turbo.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:26 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^ I have no idea if the 997.1 Turbos with the beloved mezger will become collectibles but I have to agree with Denis, this has nothing to do with 997.1TTs being "better" cars, its more in line with them being more desirable to a target group as Denis has defined

I will also note that the move to the 9A1 in the turbos was driven by cost, emission and mpg requirements and not necessarily performance. It is much cheaper for a manufacturer to have 1 SKU across all models (eg 9A1) vs manufacturing a separate engine for a relatively small volume model like the TT. The move to the 9A1 across all models was probably driven by some internal six sigma team at Porsche.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 PM
speed21
Banned

I really do not think I was :
It was never said as being a big deal for me. "Stuff" was not cars in that context anyway but to put you in the picture on cars i have had a lot more than 3 at one stage and found that to be a waste of time and money.

That is the only reason I wrote what I wrote.
That's fine. You don't need to go into explanations. As I said it was not the focus of my posting a reply to you in the first instance.

take it things haven't changed from when you posted this last year ?
Thats fine.
I think you need to move forward from my commenting negatively on your grilles.
In so far as the forums go while I may pass comment along the way I generally post mainly for informations sake rather than a need to find happiness or constant stroking. If i have something to say i say it. If it isnt received well then so be it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Anyway rather than dragging your gripe across the forums at me it would be better to just put it to bed and move on don't you think rather than to make out who's right or who's wrong and who is the better person morally?

Anyway, I get your point, the new cars are better. Luckily for the old cars there's a strong following and that will be no different for the last Mezger turbo.
The current market segment in that strong following is bound to falter at one point needless to say it is the minority segment of the market anyway. The cars will age to a point people will move on. I can't see the values going north either due to the fact there were such a large number sold globally. Sadly the 997tt will become an old car and will reflect the value as such. That's life.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

You can't see it, that's fine. Doesn't mean it isn't there though

But please, for the love of all things good, leave those stupid grilles out of it.
The reply I got from you was fine to me. It was brought with humor, it made people even laugh.
I simply can't understand what my grilles have to do with this.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Why did they put the 3.6 in 997GT2 and in the GT2RS? Case closed! Long live the 3.6!
(I am going to keep my GT2 until the prices reverse!)

What grille are you guys talking about? George Foreman grill?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speed21, I hear what you are saying but who among us would not love to have a Hemi Cuda from 69, or an original Shelby. Sometimes things don't get better even though they seem so on paper.
the way the Govt is legislating the fuel EPA and pushing electrics these cars including the 991 may become classics big time.
If I could fast forward another 25 years on this board there could be a bunch of Rennlisters arguing about which way is the best way to improve the sound of the electric hum their motors make. Those poor buggers will never get to smell the fresh waft of startup smoke with our cars

Quick Reply: 3.6 vs 3.8?