Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modding the 997TT: Your Experiences/Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 AM
Rhetproof
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by John D II
We produce a 997TT exhaust that sounds absolutely fantastic with absolutely no drone. Many 997TT owners have commented it's the best sounding 997TT system they have ever heard and there are several reviews on our web site testimonials link. Additionally, we offer Rennlist discounts on all of our systems and can bundle it with a Softronic Tune!
Two questions:

1. What does drone mean exactly? I hear this referenced everywhere here.

2. Would you recommend Softtronic? Why? Who else's ECU tuning would you put at their level in terms of reliability and longevity of the car?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

^Droning is a resonance or booming that you will hear in the car from some of these exhaust systems. It usually happens only at some rpm range...For example I have a 1-can Tubi in my TT and you get a booming (droning) at around 2,000 rpm (I think?) and you just shift through it...the sound varies from exhaust system to exhaust system...

It would be much cheaper for you to decide up front on a "target" or "objective" for your car. And then build towards that target. For example, target 600 or 700 hp or ? and then build every component towards that target. Otherwise, you will buy a couple of pieces (exhaust or tune or ...) and then find out that you need to re-do the same parts since your next move is not compatible with your previous move. You can easily get a ton of power from these cars...

I don't know about Dubai tuners, but I used to have a 964T and I still look in that forum once in a while...Maybe PM "MeanMachine" he is Kuwait and seems to know everyone in the M. East.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 PM
bluecrab
Advanced

also remember that with any reasonable increase in power you will need an upgraded stage 2.5 clutch

with labor, this is another 3k or so

modding this car can provide excellent gains, but is also very expensive.

exhaust 4k
tune 3k
clutch 3k

that's a huge outlay of cash. the car is very fast in stock form IMO.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rhetproof

I have FVD Stage 2. 555hp/550tq. I did it all at the same time- no worries. Love the car and the quality for the parts from FVD. I choose the export sound.

Cheers!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 PM
drvik
Advanced

If you would like specific advice, then I recommend a Europipe Stage 1, GT2RS ICs and a tune.

I have had the Softronic tune on my car and a dalatlog showed dangerous amounts of ECU intervention to prevent engine damage. I have subsequently removed Softronic and would not recommend them. You may find a similar problem with any other off the shelf software. I will get a custom tune with United Motor Werks after my recent experiences.

drvik
Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would second Vic's recommendations 100%. And re the tune always go for something customised if you want reliability. I'm not surprised to hear he is making a change on that. If you want real performance and reliability then you need to be very careful of the choices you make along with some of the recommendations that get around these forums. And for those that rave about second rate crap I can only put that down to some guys just not knowing any better. Buyer beware.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drvik
If you would like specific advice, then I recommend a Europipe Stage 1, GT2RS ICs and a tune.

I have had the Softronic tune on my car and a dalatlog showed dangerous amounts of ECU intervention to prevent engine damage. I have subsequently removed Softronic and would not recommend them. You may find a similar problem with any other off the shelf software. I will get a custom tune with United Motor Werks after my recent experiences.

drvik
drvik, interesting comments regarding softronic. Can you elaborate regarding "dangerous amounts of ECU intervention to prevent engine damage"?

I'm curious as to the details since I haven't come across a single post about a softronic tuned car experiencing an engine failure due to the tune. my assumption is that between the various forums and hundreds (maybe thousand+?) of softronic tuned 997 turbos we'd have heard about a blown engine since pretty much every other problem finds its way to these forums LOL (which is a good thing IMO). Maybe someone here can share a link to a thread about a softronic tuned 997 turbo engine going kabooooooooooom!

thanks
Art
Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Can I get the Rennlist experts thoughts on Protomotive, specifically their exhaust and custom tuning? Now that I've been reading a lot about this stuff, I will only put a custom tune in my car when the time comes. I know they are well liked on 6 speed, but haven't seen much about them on here. Their exhaust looks like it would be really loud, but I've read that it isn't. I'm drawn to the big flow and light weight.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Todd's tune is really good. His exhaust is a bit loud for me.
There are many good tunes and exhaust components available, do a search an talk to your local tuner who would support you after the sale, regardless of the hype.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:43 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D II
We produce a 997TT exhaust that sounds absolutely fantastic with absolutely no drone. Many 997TT owners have commented it's the best sounding 997TT system they have ever heard and there are several reviews on our web site testimonials link. Additionally, we offer Rennlist discounts on all of our systems and can bundle it with a Softronic Tune!

Originally Posted by Rhetproof
Two questions:

1. What does drone mean exactly? I hear this referenced everywhere here.

2. Would you recommend Softtronic? Why? Who else's ECU tuning would you put at their level in terms of reliability and longevity of the car?
Hi Rhetproof,

In answer to your questions - Drone is an annoying booming sound in the car that is very annoying to passengers after a short time. In most instances, if you purchase an exhaust that drones, you will be sorry. Some are not bothered by drone, but it is the minority, for sure.

Softronics is a leading Porsche tuner, if not the leading Porsche tuner. They often are the first to introduce a tune for a new model and maintain a heavy involvement with PCA Motorsports tuning. They are not newcomers to the Porsche game and have thousands of extremely satisfied customers.

Softronic offers "custom tunes" just as other tuners, in fact, many of the leading well known "Tuners" are actually selling private branded Softronic tunes. If you do some research, you may surprized at the independant tuners that rely on Softronic for their tunes.

If you work with us for "custom" Softronic tuning, after the initial flash, you would datalog your car with Durametric software and email the logged data file back. It will be analyzed and any adjustments required will be made on a "revised" flash, which is sent back to you for another upload to the car and subsequent second datalog session. The second log is reviewed and if any adjustments are required they are made and a new file is sent to you. Normally, this is only necessary for more substantially modified cars with upgraded turbos, etc., but there is no better way to tune a car than by doing repeated datalogs in real word driving conditions (a dyno tune can only do so much and is normally used to get things close, then dyno tunes are fine tuned with "road test" datalogging, such as I have just described).

If you would like to discuss this more in depth or what we can offer in terms of exhaust and tuning, please feel free to contact me either by PM, email of phone - I hope this helps answer some of your questions...
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 07-09-2013, 04:26 AM
Nomak
Advanced

Thank you all for your kind replies.

I've finally found the search function and learned how to use it, so I apologize about the exhaust question in particular, as I found a multi-page thread that discussed it extensively.

MJK: I drove a 997.1TT with an ECU tune on the track before buying my car actually, and this is the reason I'm so keen on modding it. The drive was absolutely exhilirating.

Bluecrab: I also realized the intake was a waste through the search function, people here seem to hold quite a bit of hatred for the marketing on aftermarket intakes also haha.

I'm interested in straight line power mostly. I don't want to make the ride uncomfortable (i.e. suspension adjustments and weightloss are probably out).

I do have some more questions though:

1. I've been trying to search through the ECU tuning opinions over here, but it seems the threads on it are less extensive than the ones on exhaust systems. Are there any clear favorites in terms of reliability and longevity of the car?

2. Other than the exhaust and ECU tuning, would the next most useful mod for power be aftermarket turbos? Has anyone done this?

3. If not turbos, what else could I use to get some horsepower?
We tried from flash to modded stock turbos to Alpha/GT kit to build 3.8l. All from Protomotive. Street races videos available in youtube for all options above racing gixxer, busas, s1000rrs, high modded vettes, gtrs and other porsches.

Here is flashed/exhaust tip 997.1tt vs stock 997.2 turbo s. 997.1tt won by bus length

No 60-130 **** here. Real results only!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:30 AM
Nomak
Advanced

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Can I get the Rennlist experts thoughts on Protomotive, specifically their exhaust and custom tuning? Now that I've been reading a lot about this stuff, I will only put a custom tune in my car when the time comes. I know they are well liked on 6 speed, but haven't seen much about them on here. Their exhaust looks like it would be really loud, but I've read that it isn't. I'm drawn to the big flow and light weight.
it is not loud. On idle it is normal when revving it is aggressive not loud plus no drone.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Sayajin
Advanced

Thank you all for your kind replies.

I've finally found the search function and learned how to use it, so I apologize about the exhaust question in particular, as I found a multi-page thread that discussed it extensively.
Would you be kind enough to post a link to that thread? I am also looking to do a full exhaust and ECU flash on my 997TT. Thanks!

-Sayajin
Old 07-11-2013, 12:30 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow, thanks Nomak. That's exactly what I was looking for. The Protomotive doesn't seem too loud at all, and should offer the best gains due to the lack of back pressure. It just moved to the top of my list.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Nomak
Advanced

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Wow, thanks Nomak. That's exactly what I was looking for. The Protomotive doesn't seem too loud at all, and should offer the best gains due to the lack of back pressure. It just moved to the top of my list.
Couple of things you need to know

- Anytime you wanna move to modded vgts or alpha kit ( up to 850whp ) it will work excellent.

- The exhaust come in 3 pieces. Mufflers, xpipe and tips. again anytime you go to bigger flange turbo such as gt30 or gt35 all you need to change the mufflets only.

Quick Reply: Modding the 997TT: Your Experiences/Advice?