Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modding the 997TT: Your Experiences/Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Rhetproof
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Modding the 997TT: Your Experiences/Advice?

Hello,

I've recently bought an 09 997TT and have been trying to research how I might modify it to increase horsepower/straight line speed and have a bit more handling. I've read around the forum a bit as a guest but seem to keep reading comments of people stating there was less power to access by modifying the 997 than most cars.

Could a chip, intake, and exhaust make a significant (north of 30 hp) difference in power?
Old 07-07-2013, 12:06 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

An exhaust alone will add 30hp. The mods you mentioned are more line 80 hp.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:41 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhetproof
but seem to keep reading comments of people stating there was less power to access by modifying the 997 than most cars.
I'm not sure where you read this, but it couldn't be further from the truth on the 997.1 TT (which your 09 is). The 997.1 TT is very tunable, and as said above, exhaust and a re-flash will result in nice gains.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:23 AM
roybotnik
Rennlist Member

Could a chip, intake, and exhaust make a significant (north of 30 hp) difference in power?
You must have been reading about non-turbo cars.... those mods will put you around 550hp according to most folks.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 AM
Rhetproof
6th Gear

Default Thank you

Thank you so much for your replies.

You're right - turns out I was looking at posts about the non-turbos! Sorry for the confusion; I'm new to forums in general.

With that out of the way - I have some more specific questions:

1. What are your experiences with exhaust and intake modifications? Recommendations? Both in terms of noise and power changes.

2. Have many of you chipped your cars? I'm trying to choose a chip that comes from a reliable/tested company and one which hopefully won't reduce the life of my car too much.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:27 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I would take things incrementally and the least invasive first.

An overlooked benefit of an exhaust is the virtual elimination of turbo lag. Means more to me than the 30 HP.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:49 AM
Rhetproof
6th Gear

Thank you for your reply Terry.

I was also intending to begin incrementally and beginning with the exhaust system.

I've never owned a turbo before, nor modified a car, and am based out of a less developed country (car wise), so appreciate the advice deeply.

The elimination of the turbo lag would be excellent!

What are your experiences with exhaust systems? Do you have any brand/model recommendations?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:01 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

What are your experiences with exhaust systems? Do you have any brand/model recommendations?
Not as much as a couple guys here. TT Surgeon knows how to install/uninstall all of them.

I listened to many on youtube, not a reliable method.

Then 3 in person and settled on Europipe. I am half Belgian, YMMV.

I do the occasional road trip, sometimes with wife. So did not want too loud.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 AM
Rhetproof
6th Gear

Thumbs up

Thanks, Terry. Seems like its the favorite on the forum as well.

Have you tested the hp post-mod? Hopefully TT Surgeon will chime in as well

Is the EVO ECU tune also a favorite here? Do you guys think there is any way to have the company customize it to my extreme climate?

Last edited by Rhetproof; 07-07-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

warning: everyone wants to take advantage of you: dealer, sponsers, AM companies: they all know
you're well to do and want your money! proceed with caution and good luck on mods!
Old 07-07-2013, 12:08 PM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If your looking for the best bang for the buck power wise, start with a ECU flash, its a night and day difference.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:31 PM
bluecrab
Advanced

Intake is a waste.

Can you go into detail as far as what you feel is lacking?

Power, handling, etc?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would stick with a European made exhaust, they fit and sound the best. Listen to some clips, many good brands, take your pick.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:23 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts

We produce a 997TT exhaust that sounds absolutely fantastic with absolutely no drone. Many 997TT owners have commented it's the best sounding 997TT system they have ever heard and there are several reviews on our web site testimonials link. Additionally, we offer Rennlist discounts on all of our systems and can bundle it with a Softronic Tune!

PM or email me if you are interested in learning more and receiving pricing - we have quiet and loud sound versions of our system and it is a modular design, so at any time down the road, should your taste change, we can alter the sound level for a minimal expense without having to shop for an entire new system. If you research, you will find that many 996/7TT owners you will try several exhausts before they find a sound/sound level they are comfortable with and spend thousands of dollars in the process trying new systems - our system offers 4 sound levels and the expense is minimal to switch components once you have purchased the initial system. If you purchase a new system from us, we will work with you to make any component swaps literally financially painless...
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 AM
Rhetproof
6th Gear

Talking

Thank you all for your kind replies.

I've finally found the search function and learned how to use it, so I apologize about the exhaust question in particular, as I found a multi-page thread that discussed it extensively.

MJK: I drove a 997.1TT with an ECU tune on the track before buying my car actually, and this is the reason I'm so keen on modding it. The drive was absolutely exhilirating.

Bluecrab: I also realized the intake was a waste through the search function, people here seem to hold quite a bit of hatred for the marketing on aftermarket intakes also haha.

I'm interested in straight line power mostly. I don't want to make the ride uncomfortable (i.e. suspension adjustments and weightloss are probably out).

I do have some more questions though:

1. I've been trying to search through the ECU tuning opinions over here, but it seems the threads on it are less extensive than the ones on exhaust systems. Are there any clear favorites in terms of reliability and longevity of the car?

2. Other than the exhaust and ECU tuning, would the next most useful mod for power be aftermarket turbos? Has anyone done this?

3. If not turbos, what else could I use to get some horsepower?

Quick Reply: Modding the 997TT: Your Experiences/Advice?