Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 turbo power slide/oversteer

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:20 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man you guys have ***** or live in very low populated areas, but if we attempted any drifting or power sliding like you're all describing in or near a metro area in California we'd spend the night in jail. When I had my M3, I remember getting pulled over and ticketed for just accelerating hard from 0-40 and chirping my tires on the 1st to 2nd gear shift. Officer thought I was being a punk and wanted to teach me a lesson. I wonder what he'd have thought if I followed that tire chirp with a power slide at the next corner
Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny thread.

Does too much testosterone coupled with an obvious lack of P car driving skills, and, a likely overly inflated ego ring any bells here?

My only suggestion to the OP would be to take it the track and learn how to drive it properly under the supervised guidance of a P car instructor rather than asking members how to put the tail out 25% on a public road. It'd sure be a damn site safer than putting an obvious lack of skills to the test in a car as lethally fast as a 997tt, imposing it on the general public.

Just saying....
Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 PM
agsurf5
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like how there is always someone in forums who think he/she is a better driver (or a more reckless, or a more advanced, or a more something).... ready to put down others or send them back to school...

here is about the experience, and with PSM drifting the rear on a country road is not a big deal of danger, nor a question of superior driving skills....

question was whether the turbo does shake the booty, or if it is more a rigid lady that likes to be stable.

in any case, i am leaning towards a GTS at the moment, as it seems more fun to drive.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:16 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Let's put it this way, Porsche tried very very hard to get the 997.1 and subsequent ones, not to get their tails out. As such, the speeds and limits you need to surpass that design are quite high. I wouldn't recommend it with a 997+ turbo.

You should look at the 996 GT3, which is an awesome car where your right foot is more directly connected to the car.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded a GTS for a Turbo S. Turbo S is way more fun in my mind. Be careful which way you lean.....you may slide off a cliff!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:36 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by agsurf5
i like how there is always someone in forums who think he/she is a better driver (or a more reckless, or a more advanced, or a more something).... ready to put down others or send them back to school...

here is about the experience, and with PSM drifting the rear on a country road is not a big deal of danger, nor a question of superior driving skills....

question was whether the turbo does shake the booty, or if it is more a rigid lady that likes to be stable.

in any case, i am leaning towards a GTS at the moment, as it seems more fun to drive.
Never said i was a better driver than you or anyone here. What stood out was had you done your schooling with Porsche you would already know what you would need to do to break the tail loose on your PT without the need to ask others here. A Porsche Turbo, or any Porsche for that matter is not the kind of car you experiment with on any public road, country or otherwise imho. The fact you are asking what you are confirmed a few things.

Btw read this one just the other day.....I guess another fantastic driver putting his skills to test on public roads.:http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/driver-tra...929-26s7n.html

Just saying...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:52 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't always agree with Speed21 but I certainly do on this topic.. I drive with my friends on a famous piece of road here in Los Angeles called the "Angeles Crest Highway".. I have friends that drive "on the limit" on these public roads. I thinks it's idiiotic. Almost all the turns are blind.. Almost everyday somone crashes or dies there. I enjoy the roads as well but there is no "run off" area on public roads. It can "end up in tears " too easily. I for one do not want my TT to get wrapped up in the Armco..

Go to a track with an instructor and you will realize that you have no performance driving skills (you may be a skilled race driver.. If so my apologies) You get to go as fast as you want to.. Safely... And when I guy in a Base Boxster passes you in turn in your TT (like you were standing still) you will realize you have a lot to learn about driving fast and your cars limits.. Ask me how I know..

Like Jay Leno says "Every man thinks he is a good lover and a good driver". Guess it's just in our DNA..

Go take a Porsche driving class. It's the best money you will ever spend...
Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a discussion about this with Paul, speed21 today. What you dont seem to be getting is that to drift a 4 wheel drive its an inertia drift which takes a lot of speed into a corner, and placement of the car with braking beforehand. A powerdrift which is from standstill or near standstill at a corner will only happen on wet roads with bad tires, or on dry roads with even worse tires. Best to do that with rear wheel drive cars.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
agsurf5
AutoX

i ended up test driving one the other day. and i loved it quite a bit. car is more agile and fun that i thought.
i felt a bit of understeer in certain occasions, and a very quick tail drift going on a semi-u-turn. i have been reading a bunch since. and apparently the suspensions mod (sway bars) make quite a difference.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The stock Turbo has terrible understeer. You are correct, lowering springs and sway bars almost eleminates the understeer...

I can powerslide my car.. It's not that difficult.. You have to commit, steer with the throttle and trust the car. The turbo is way more forgiving than a C2.. The front wheel drive "pulls" you out of the corner. It's really fun once you get the hang of it..

I will only do this away from all traffic....My favorite "go fast" places..I'm only a threat to myself..

Ask aa909. He has driven with me..

Last edited by phillipj; 11-27-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:23 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj

I will only do this away from all traffic....My favorite "go fast" places..

Ask aa909. He has driven with me..
Lol, All I can say is that the man knows how to drive. I can also say that I almost pissed myself in the passenger seat
Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 PM
agsurf5
AutoX

Hey guys,

Just read again a couple of posts I skipped. I am again surprised at the amount of know it all.
I do not understand why is it so difficult to answer straight questions, and so easy to start telling people what they should do to drive better.
I am 42, not 19 with a Lamborghini. I had my shares of cars and motorbikes. I could slide a fiat 500. but I never driven a 997tt. Asking how it behaves has nothing to do with porsche school. In which I do recognize the value.

I ended up driving 2 turbos and getting one of those. Please answer straight next time. I would have had an easier time and not wasting it in another pointless (meaning not on topic) discussion....
Old 12-12-2012, 06:11 PM
agsurf5
AutoX

And since we moved to porsche driving. Did u guys ever go to the California school? I might be there in January and thinking of going there.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the rear axle diff lock actually gives you better traction. i can tell you first hand. i bought mine and then 1.5 yrs later retrofitted mine with the rear axle diff lock. they had to send it to Germany and then back. cost 8k. worth every penny it is amazing how much more traction in all conditions and how much better the handling is.

Quick Reply: 997 turbo power slide/oversteer