After Market Exhaust and Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:20 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
Speed,

My Techart has no drone or resonance... It has a great wail at WOT but is very dossile at Idle and low speeds.. One thing it DOES NOT have is that beautiful whistle of the turbos spooling up.. I have heard that on other exhausts and that is one thing I really want..

The contruction and fitment of the Techart is beautiful and there is definetly a performance gain..
http://sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=110

I got my exhaust before my ECU flash and I could immediately tell the difference.

I have never heard of anyone removing their Techart system becuase of unpleasant drone or resonance either..

Is it worth $6k? I don't think any exhaust is worth $6k.. But when you have a TT you have to pay the Porsche tax...

I'll have to seek out a TT owner near me with an EP and give it a listen. From what everyone says it is sweet indeed..
With respect Phillip, to date, i've never heard from anyone with a Techart other than yourself. The other thing is, i was told by the same vendor the tech art had more resonance than the Tubi....who sells and installs both. So who's word should I take? There are many many Tubi users that say the Tubi has no drone and there are many many users that say certain other systems don't drone either. Problem for all of them has been there are buyers of all these systems that have reported drone issues they haven't been happy with. I've also even heard xpipe 997tt.1 owners claim they have no drone either (lol). I think you get my picture. Even Akra, which btw, i've only ever managed to read one persons feedback (probably because they hardly sell any 997tt.1 systems due to the ridiculously high price) have the exclusive Kudos as Porsches OEM supplier, which in essence has escaped them from the dreaded drone scrutiny. So who really knows with the Akra as well? The EP1 on the other hand is a well established given quantity...
Old 09-29-2012, 02:56 PM
trevor9098
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone around Atlanta with an EP1 exhaust on their TT? Preferably stock otherwise. Would love to hear it.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:47 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
With respect Phillip, to date, i've never heard from anyone with a Techart other than yourself. The other thing is, i was told by the same vendor the tech art had more resonance than the Tubi....who sells and installs both. So who's word should I take? There are many many Tubi users that say the Tubi has no drone and there are many many users that say certain other systems don't drone either. Problem for all of them has been there are buyers of all these systems that have reported drone issues they haven't been happy with. I've also even heard xpipe 997tt.1 owners claim they have no drone either (lol). I think you get my picture. Even Akra, which btw, i've only ever managed to read one persons feedback (probably because they hardly sell any 997tt.1 systems due to the ridiculously high price) have the exclusive Kudos as Porsches OEM supplier, which in essence has escaped them from the dreaded drone scrutiny. So who really knows with the Akra as well? The EP1 on the other hand is a well established given quantity...
If my exhaust had as much res and drone as a Tubi (which I have experienced) my wife would hate it.. She has never commented on it other than to say it sounds cool.. My friend built his own X pipe 3 inch catless system with small mufflers.. It sounds like a cup car. It's awesome.. I could live with it easily. I guess you would say it has drone and res too..Guess everyone has different tastes and there isn't one perfect exhaust for everyone. A blanket statement that says only the EP is the only exhaust worth buying is a little far fetched. It all depends on your taste and how you use your car..Juts my 2 cents brother..
Old 09-29-2012, 03:58 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well I agree that you cant be dogmatic. Its not the only one worth buying. Only to us that have experienced it.

I was fortunate enough to have found a used one form Stef as well. I had to wait a few months. Here is what it looked like when I received it, and supposedly it had 10,000 kms.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:15 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by phillipj
If my exhaust had as much res and drone as a Tubi (which I have experienced) my wife would hate it.. She has never commented on it other than to say it sounds cool.. My friend built his own X pipe 3 inch catless system with small mufflers.. It sounds like a cup car. It's awesome.. I could live with it easily. I guess you would say it has drone and res too..Guess everyone has different tastes and there isn't one perfect exhaust for everyone. A blanket statement that says only the EP is the only exhaust worth buying is a little far fetched. It all depends on your taste and how you use your car..Juts my 2 cents brother..
Just to clear the air on this, i never said EP is the only system anyone should buy. My point was EP1 IS a given quantity in the specific area of drone, and where performance and superlative construction is concerned it sits second to none. Based on user feedback I unfortunately can't say the same for a number of other well known systems.

Where performance is concerned i doubt EP is the only system that is capable of producing a gain that can be felt with the butt dyno, without a tune. I can only answer for the Tubi and the EP and can also reference the numerous threads and user feedback, many which don't bode well at all for numerous systems out there imho.

Like yourself my wife wouldn't/ couldn't put up with the Tubi either, nor could a few guys that rode in my car which all said the same thing at one point. I can't answer for Techart exhaust other than to say their products are generally very good quality, although I had asked about your particular system as an alternative replacement for the Tubi and, it was specifically "NOT recommended" (for me) given my Tubi experience. Btw, with the EP2, Stef clearly says it is NOT for everyone either....but it sure does perform and look the biz. He says those with sensitive ears are best to go with the EP1. EP1 is a crowd pleaser. It gives the loud noise outside, remains nice and sophisticated inside while sounding enough like a Porsche should, has the performance your butt dyno and right foot can feel, and really looks the goods. For me, what more could you want? But that's me. There are others that would be far happier with a piece of straight water pipe that you can hear coming 100 miles away, and i say good luck to them and best of health.

Now me, I really don't want to buy into any fanciful claims of non droning 3" 997.1TT Xpipes and the likes and, what some folks can put up with as again all i know, and care, is what i can put up with....along with anyone who happens to ride in my car. And for that matter it appears i was not alone nor was imagining the resonance of that "non droning" Tubi....the so called least droning system out of the checkered bunch.

You see when i put something on my PT it not only has to look like it belongs but also has to work in way where it doesn''t destroy the usability and practicality of the car. Else for me, why bother? And, on my close observations, and after a hell of a lot of diligent research and discussion there truly doesn't appear to be much out there i should personally bother with outside of an EP1 or maybe an Akra. But again that's me....not "everyone else". How would i know what everyone else is able to live with? I do know I'm not into taking Panadol and wearing ear plugs to drive my PT on a daily basis. Maybe i need my hearing reduced....lol.

Last edited by speed21; 09-29-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:20 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a Turbo S with a Sharkwerks bypass and a Softronic tune and its pretty quiet and is extremely well sorted. I don't drive the car more than once or twice a week so I'm not a good example to judge by...
Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I have a Turbo S with a Sharkwerks bypass and a Softronic tune and its pretty quiet and is extremely well sorted. I don't drive the car more than once or twice a week so I'm not a good example to judge by...
My comments do not apply to the 997tt.2 cars. I can only account for what i have experienced and found out on the .1tt since my issue.

Alex (SW) told me his new SW xpipe doesn't drone for TTS and .2TT but doesn't make any more power though. Alex is a guy who as most here would know has fitted and sold just about every system on the market so his advice is well qualified imho.

The .1tt engine is an entirely different animal where drone is concerned...
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by dianic
well I agree that you cant be dogmatic. Its not the only one worth buying. Only to us that have experienced it.

I was fortunate enough to have found a used one form Stef as well. I had to wait a few months. Here is what it looked like when I received it, and supposedly it had 10,000 kms.

I have seen surgical suites that are not as clean as that garage! That is a very well crafted exhaust. I have to seek one out in my town and give it a listen,,

Are those 200 cell cats or 100?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:22 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

200 cell. Much wider than stock, and that is the trick in this exhaust. Its the volume of the cats and their diameter.
This is the Porsche dealer workshop in Athens.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Make that 100 cell Nick. But because of the sheer volume no cell.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:13 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993S
Make that 100 cell Nick. But because of the sheer volume no cell.

Thanks Denis
Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 PM
skandalis447
6th Gear

i could really spend a few pages outlining advantages of europipe exhausts from an engineering point of view...however i would like to pay attention to the following...997,1 uses vtg and as all we know they generate more heat (egt)than normal turbos...europipe has the greatest cross sectional area in their cat converters...being so they manage to keep mean EGT temperature value lower than any other exhaust...in terms of power this means that ecu wont pull timing or add fuel to cool things down...when needed...i.e. at a run up to 300km...resulting in more power...
Old 10-08-2012, 02:13 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by skandalis447
i could really spend a few pages outlining advantages of europipe exhausts from an engineering point of view...however i would like to pay attention to the following...997,1 uses vtg and as all we know they generate more heat (egt)than normal turbos...europipe has the greatest cross sectional area in their cat converters...being so they manage to keep mean EGT temperature value lower than any other exhaust...in terms of power this means that ecu wont pull timing or add fuel to cool things down...when needed...i.e. at a run up to 300km...resulting in more power...
I did not know that... Great info...Thanks!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Gonz2828
Track Day

Default GT3 EUROPIPE CATS

I have a set of Europipe cats that are marked "EUROPIPE GT3 06" that I got from a wreck gt3. Since they looked very similar to my OEM 2002 C4 I bought them for retrofit. More recently I became unsure about fitment and if they would be street legal... does anyone knows? If not suitable for my application I'll be looking to sell them to somene that could. Since these came from a wreked car they do have couple dings that should be reperable but totally usable as is. I also have mounting hardware for them.

P.S. - I have pictures of them but don't know how to post on this forum...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Gonz2828; 11-23-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: adding attachment
Old 11-23-2012, 03:49 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Why dont you cantact Europipe and ask them? Most 100 and 200 cell cats are "Street legal". Those are probably 100 cell. No idea if they will fit on your 02 C4. Probably not.. Europipe will be able to tell you..

Quick Reply: After Market Exhaust and Tuning