Sponsored by:

After Market Exhaust and Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default After Market Exhaust and Tuning

What mods have you made and what do you think? What is the "best?" Current use as a street car/ touring all over CA. May track in future. I've considered GMG exhaust and software upgrades...I believe they use GIAC. Chime in.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:40 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have Europipe on my car and love the sound and extra torque. Quality is top.
No idea about tuning as my car is fast enough for me.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:45 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a lot of good exhausts out there. Lots of people love the Europipe that Denis and many other have.. I have a Techart on mine which is quite nice too! I'm going to change my exhaust again though for an 90mm X pipe design.. A lot more power with the full 3 inch tubing and tips..

There are lots of good ECU tunes out there. Protomotive and Softronic being the most flexible.. Just do you research. An exhaust and a tune on these cars brings them alive..
Old 09-24-2012, 03:51 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no experience with any other tunes but I'm very happy with Softronic. Any tune will completely change your car from very fast to brutal acceleration. Pros for softronic- you can upload the tune yourself, great customer serivce. Cons- you cant switch between octanes with a single tune, police don't like you. Good luck
Old 09-24-2012, 05:14 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

I am also a europipe fan and owner.
It was and is the best mod I have ever made in any of my cars. And I have had a few. The sound is intoxicating, and everytime I start the car it makes me smile. Quality and service from Stef, is unparalleled and the best feature is the turbo whistle which is now audible at low revs. Frees up the turbos.

I also agree with Dennis that the car is fast enough for me. Although that is a hard one to maintain having ridden in tuned cars. In Greece we tend to favor APR, as the results we have seen are quite impressive. APR tuned cars are ahead of me by about 2-3 lengths by the time we hit 100 miles from a stop and that is astonishingly fast.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the europipe give good results in isolation or does it require the ecu reflashed? Also for insurance purposes if this pipe is designed for the 997 could it be considered as a modification?

Rob
Old 09-25-2012, 10:41 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmhor 1
Does the europipe give good results in isolation or does it require the ecu reflashed? Also for insurance purposes if this pipe is designed for the 997 could it be considered as a modification?

Rob
I talked with Softronic at length about their ECU reflash. Good news is my TT doesn't require a reflash if I add an exhaust later. They said my hp would jump to approx. 560 on 93 octane gas here in VA. They quoted mt $2,195 and I can do it myself. I think that's the route I may take next year unless I sell/trade the car first.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Does the europipe give good results in isolation
That is a question I can reply in all honesty. Some time ago I was driving my car on a road I know well and noticed how my car revved so free. Completely forgot about the exhaust and wondered what made the difference. And of course, after some more miles it hit me I had a new exhaust installed. So, really, the difference is very noticeable.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:29 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rob

Any part that is "non Porsche" is considered a modification as far as Porsche goes..

But it really depends on your dealer.. Some dealers are mod friendly some are not. My dealer is very tough on mods.. An aftermarket exhaust can void your warranty according to Porsche.

It can get tricky... Say you have an aftermarket exhaust and a turbo fails.. Porsche could say "that is not our exhaust attached to the turbo so we wont cover it".

If your under warranty check with your dealer.. Sometimes if the dealer orders the exhaust and installs it they will honor your warranty..

And no... Any "catted" aftermarket exhaust will not require a re - flash.. Your DME will compensate after driving a few miles..
Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As per 993s's post#8, i can also vouch for the performance improvement after fitting the europipe. Unlike the tubi i had, which was claimed to improve all sorts of things, i couldn't feel any difference other than it felt like the car had lost pull in the midrange upward vs the stock exhaust. So I got rid of it!! Needless to say it didn't sound that good anyway plus it droned inside, particularly in hot weather. The story you get (which frankly i call excuses) with a lot of these so called performance systems is that you need a tune to get the benefit of the system. Now, If you ask me, from my personal experience that's total BS because a good system by rights should give you an improvement over the stock system everywhere and, without having a tune....like the EP did. So it was very obvious to me the EP had done a lot more than just make the car sound better and rid the nasty drone. The car pulled better and had a crisper throttle right throughout the entire rev range. Now, put all the sales hype to one side, how many systems can truly lay claim to delivering that (with a stock tune) and keep a straight face?

Now i have a tune, which i added after the EP, the car is even better again. But to be honest, after fitting the EP i had second thoughts to whether i even needed a tune and had i not already not made a commitment to buy the tune i would probably would have held off. That said, after now adding the tune i'm glad i had made the commitment because the car truly does drive better in situations where you would like it to i.e.: the tune gives the car more down low grunt at those lower to mid range revs so you can really muscle the car around through traffic more than beforehand without relying too much on the higher revs. So yes i'm an EP fan for sure.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:13 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Would appreciate it if the GMG folks would chime in and tell us what they think. I'd like to know if their 6K exhaust system has a cockpit drone at Interstate cruising speeds.

Maybe best to leave the stock alone???
Old 09-25-2012, 05:20 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LewisB

Maybe best to leave the stock alone???
Regardless of what they say, the answer to the above is NO! For sound as well as performance - whatever that maybe - reasons.
I think stock sounds like a vaccum cleaner... So if you can change it, do so. Which brand you go with is your decision ultimately. Just read as much as you can and listen to as many as you can.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree and like what speed 21 has to say about the system showing it's benefits in isolation. The car has enough output / torque curve etc with all the dynamics' that are going on in the twin turbo motor.

A well designed system on this set up should be able to show itself without other parameters requiring to be altered.

Rob
Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

So Tubi is that bad in comparison with EP? Again I don't have a comparison of stock exhaust but I don't feel like my tubi is a bad exhaust. I do at times wish it was a bit louder and sounded more like it does on a cold start.

One thing that is not mentioned is reduction in weight, EP is the same as OEM, yet others seem to shave off a signficant amount from the rear. Now most of us including me could probably not feel the reduction in weight but it's defnitely something to consider.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotom
So Tubi is that bad in comparison with EP? Again I don't have a comparison of stock exhaust but I don't feel like my tubi is a bad exhaust. I do at times wish it was a bit louder and sounded more like it does on a cold start.

One thing that is not mentioned is reduction in weight, EP is the same as OEM, yet others seem to shave off a signficant amount from the rear. Now most of us including me could probably not feel the reduction in weight but it's defnitely something to consider.
Tom i dont want to pop your balloon here but i gotta be honest. After i removed the tubi and putting the EP on immediately after, prior to road testing i was already sceptical and concerned where i was going to go if the EP droned and or made the car feel less crisp than stock. I was actually prepared to send the EP back for refund, as Stef had said I could if i wasn't completely satisfied, and just put the stock system back on and be done with it and just put up with the awful bland vacuum cleaner noise. It was a daunting thought and with a low spirit, hand on heart thats what i was prepared to do. Anyway after the test drive the differences felt were immediate. I thought maybe I was just imagining it...but the excitement of the obvious improvement was inescapably there....no question. Anyway to be sure within myself i gave it the full drive home and, back the following morning....not that i needed to go that far in convincing myself as the car felt so much better under foot, and i mean everywhere. So the differences between the Tubi and the EP were indeed chalk and cheese to be completely honest. Theres no other way i can put it. To be honest the EP would have to be the best mod i've put on my car period and whilst it cost me dearly to eat that new tubi i quickly got over it.

Now i cant answer for the GMG as i havent experienced it. But when i look at the cats everyone else seems to use and the same type of tinny shiney chrome construction they all look much of a muchness to the Tubi, and Tubi is a big name out there which attracts a higher price tag as well to a lot of the others so for me I'm very skeptical of the claims. I also recall reading a thread on 6 sometime ago when the topic of power loss felt after change and AM exhaust were discussed and IIRC the general tone was it happens quite a lot and the tune is really needed to get the best from the exercise. Now, in so far as the weight issue where losing an extra 10 or 20lbs justifies the exercise well i'm lost with that. The car is so powerful im just not sure where, when, or if you would ever feel that. Maybe the psychological factor helps to feel the difference...i don't know. I only work with tangibles you can actually see and feel and the EP delivers. Thats the main thing for me anyway...but to each his own. Some guys just like something to make a hell of a racket and don't care about performance...so figure that? Anyway....

Quick Reply: After Market Exhaust and Tuning