Sponsored by:

PCCB squeaky on 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCCB squeaky on 997 Turbo

A few weeks after the first track day they started squeaking. Never really had any problems before. Pressure washed the brakes and did some hard braking - still squeak. Anything else you can do? They look to squeak once they are warmed up and only under light braking. Did not have one squeak during the track day at SPA!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mm450exc
A few weeks after the first track day they started squeaking. Never really had any problems before. Pressure washed the brakes and did some hard braking - still squeak. Anything else you can do? They look to squeak once they are warmed up and only under light braking. Did not have one squeak during the track day at SPA!
Brake harder.

I forget where I came across this but I've used it for years with I think good results based on brake the service life I get from my cars' brakes.

Just whenever it is safe to do so delay applying the brakes and then when you do apply the brakes apply them a bit harder, more pedal pressure.

Or apply the brakes harder further out and then release and let the car roll and when you get to where you want to stop use the brakes to bring the car to a stop with as little light braking as possible.

This I remember results in less wear/tear on the brakes than the common style of gently riding the brake pedal for sometimes hundreds of feet before finally bringing the car to a stop.

I can't remember when I last did the brakes on my Boxster so I can't say how many miles the car has covered on this set of brakes, but the Turbo is on its original brakes and has racked up nearly 93K miles.

With a bit of luck I think I'll get 100K out the original brakes.

And neither cars' brakes squeal consistently though maybe once or twice a year a mild very light squeal will develop and is 'cured' by a good washing of the brakes to remove any dust. And I keep the holes in the rotors clear. The Turbo has iron brakes and the holes can collect rust dust. However, I do not think you need worry about the holes in PCCB rotors accumulating rust dust.

Anyhow, brake harder.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM
tpduke112
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is good advice. mind squeal too. i am going to try this.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 AM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will do that Macster. Just need to watch the rear view mirror!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Alex.M
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Macster, you got 93K out of rotors not pads, right?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine also make a lot of noise after I have been running on a track. Taking it to my local car wash seems to help with the noise.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alex.M
Macster, you got 93K out of rotors not pads, right?
Pads and rotors, AFAIK. I bought the car used in 09 with around 10K miles. The tires were original and were replaced (to CPO the car) due to age. As I was looking over the car -- more than once before I bought it -- the brakes both pads and rotors looked original and the rotors' holes were almost clogged with rust/dust. The rotors had very little wear, very little lip in evidence. (When checking a used car I always give the rotors a feel to check the height of the lip and thus judge how worn the rotors are.)

I am certain that since I have owned the car I have not done the brakes nor have I had anyone do the brakes.

When I take the car in for service the techs just note the remaining thickness of pads and rotors (and tire tread depths front and rear) but so far have not recommended doing the brakes.

Unless the brakes start acting up I probably wouldn't listen anyhow.

Instead I'll just follow what I've done with the Boxster and wait for the warning light to come on. In the case of the Boxster I got more than 2K miles but probably not 5K miles out of the brakes with the light on and even then I did the brakes because I finally got tired of the light being on. The pads were worn down to within say 0.1" of the backing plates. Since the rotors were worn out anyhow and needed to be replaced this brake job I thought I might see what the car sounded like when the backing plate started making contact but as I said I finally got tired of the light and replaced the pads and rotors before this.

I just remembered I have gift/discount card from a dealer that I can use to save some money on brakes. I probably should buy the hardware now and have it handy for when the brakes need doing.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Post number 7 on this thread :
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ml#post9202554
Old 06-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by mm450exc
Will do that Macster. Just need to watch the rear view mirror!
Been driving this way for years and never had any problems. I'm not saying slam on the brakes at the last second, just when it is safe to do so brake a bit harder.

You can do this a ways out from the stop, or just release the gas pedal and let the car slow on its own then use the brakes later than "normal" well, what's "normal" for the vast majority of drivers, to slow/stop the car.

Or brake harder a bit earlier then release the brake and coast down to a stop.

There are many variations of this brake harder technique one for every situation at least for me and my driving and where I drive.

I admit with all the drivers using the cell phone and the majority of drivers so used to the behavior of the vast number of cars that have automatics and require some braking to slow the car down vs. a manual that can using engine compression slow a car without having to touch the brakes you might have a driver tail gate you right up to the crosswalk before he puts on his brakes if you delay putting on yours.

I get a taste of this frequently, coasting with the transmission in gear up to a stop and having the vehicle behind mine paying no attention to the decreasing space between it and the rear of my vehicle.

It is like the concept of a car slowing down by some means other than braking is totally foreign to these drivers. In these cases I will sometimes touch the brake pedal just to flash the brake lights to wake up, err give the driver of the following vehicle a clear sign my car is slowing. (The way some drivers drive in a following vehicle I'm not even sure they even know my vehicle is there in front of their's.)

'course, you always have to drive safe and if you feel this technique is not safe or you can't find a way to use it safely, or you find other drivers can't cope then do not use it. Brake in a manner you feel is best for you and where you live and drive.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: PCCB squeaky on 997 Turbo