Sponsored by:

Opinions on a TT wheel idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 993S
A 911 turbo in India with CH-R, looks good !
Not feelin it. Not sure if it's the ride height, the colour of the car, the angle of shot or all of those things combined.

Last edited by speed21; 06-04-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by amerlemans
Thanks Paul. Appreciate any feedback on the offset question. If an 11" with a et37 offset is on the border, I would have to think that an 11.5 with nearly the same offset is just too aggressive for my liking.That HRE P43SC is gorgeous. Check out this pic on a silver 991

I am just frustrated at the moment....I will not give up the faith just yet. The search continues. I am actually contemplating going back to the Forgestars that I had on my 997S.

Using the offset calculater, the 11' with an ET37 will see the rim 15mm further out, so that should be fine based on my 11.5' with ET 44 go out 13mm.
I also note the P40 11" and 12" both sit out 16mm further than stock and look perfectly fine. Thats 3mm more than my rf67's. It appears that 16mm is about as far as most are prepared to go.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:44 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Not feelin it. Not sure if it's the ride height, the colour of the car, the angle of shot or all of those things combined.
Glad you edited that 'India' remark Paul.

Anyway, coming back to 12" with 305 in the back. No worry with tire getting too low compared to front. Our cars are developed and come with 295/30 winter tires in the back. A somewhat stretched 305 will still be considerably higher.
Still, in the meantime I have found lots '9X19 with 235/35 pictures' and like the look. So I took the gamble and changed my order to 9". Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 AM
speed21
Banned

Glad you edited that 'India' remark Paul.Anyway, coming back to 12" with 305 in the back. No worry with tire getting too low compared to front. Our cars are developed and come with 295/30 winter tires in the back. A somewhat stretched 305 will still be considerably higher.
Still, in the meantime I have found lots '9X19 with 235/35 pictures' and like the look. So I took the gamble and changed my order to 9". Keeping my fingers crossed.
Was made in jest.....don't read too much into it ok.lol Was late at night...

So what colour? Voids? JK. Actually the colour of the car has a lot to do with the rim colours. EG black car with black rims is (OK)...not my choice tho. Saw a white one yesterday with the fuchs with black centres....looked fine. Can't say i'm a fan of a white car with completely blacked out wheels tho. Silver with black just doesnt work imo. Satin, titanium etc is much better etc....but just my opinion of course....not mandating ok..
Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

I didn't , otherwise I would have replied, but still glad you did change it.

Yeah, black of course.
Meteor with black wheels is a match made in heaven. Pictures to follow next week !
Lowering will be at a later date so we will be able to see the effect of 12" ET45 on a stock car.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 AM
speed21
Banned

I didn't , otherwise I would have replied, but still glad you did change it.

Yeah, black of course.
Meteor with black wheels is a match made in heaven. Pictures to follow next week !
Lowering will be at a later date so we will be able to see the effect of 12" ET45 on a stock car.
To be honest I only changed it because i could explain my point better....

With the grey, black isn't as stark up against GT/or Silver, plus you've got that silver pinstripe to help break it all up a bit. Black definitely works better with a grey car than silver imo. It would also appear the 16mm is the absolute max based on what has come onto the table offset wise for this car. Looking at my own car at stock height with the 13mm it's touch and go to whether i'd wan't the rears out any further really. I'm having second thoughts on the HRE's now. Another 3mm may not matter with the 12's because as you point out the sidewall is pulled back in. So, that may help to give the appearance the actual wheels are not physically hanging beyond the extremity of the panels....which they basically are looking at it. It was also interesting to note HRE doesn't extend beyond the 5 mm on the front even with both the 9 and 8.5 extending only 5mm keeping an identical outward position....similar to Champion.

I took a good look at a 3RS yesterday and there isn't a lot of clearance there at that lowered height. As i pointed out the R tires dont have the rim protector protruding either like the street tires do.....looks very very tight. I guess if the suspension is "GT3RS stiff" it reduces the chance of too much wheel travel. Im not sure how that would go with the softer lowering springs. AM coilovers wouldn't be an issue because those set ups are pretty firm....like GT3.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:32 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Although my tires are still good I will use new tires (same make) on the BBS.
This will allow me to compare and note all the differences.
I'll post detailed pictures and if you want a sketch.

The stock wheel/rim (not the tire!) is sitting approx. 30 mm inside the wheel well measured from outer fender edge. So the 12" ET45 will still be well within. Than of course the 305 tire divided over the 12" will give a different top point tire position making it a sure fit.

I said earlier your 11.5 ET44 with a 305 is more likely to touch than a 12" ET45 with same tire. Maybe consider the fact that on the 12" ET45 the tire is pushed 7 mm's further from the edge towards the inside. On the 11.5 ET44 the tire infact moves a 1mm closer to the edge. (see your link of 1010 tires : inner clearance)

It's frustrating for me not to be able to explain any better but when wheels are on I'll hope to do so with pictures as a help. Please excuse me. I pride myself for my English in most cases but going so technical is difficult in a foreign language and apparently it creates also some 'cold air' between us. Not meant to be !! I am sure of what I say is correct and since you are also 'in' to wheels I hope you'll appreciate my input.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are a class act Denis. Can't wait to see your car with the "new shoes"...
Old 06-05-2012, 06:03 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is mine, with factory wheels, 16mm spacers BUT 295 rear tire. Dont ask me why, it just happened! I am curious to see what the result will be with the 305 Michelin PSS which from what I hear is quite square...

Old 06-05-2012, 06:08 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

I think I need to let the two of you lose on this thread here...
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-fitment.html
Old 06-05-2012, 06:25 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Nick, your avatar looks
You, my Greek friend, have a great car !!! And I can say it without feeling any jealousy
Old 06-05-2012, 06:41 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dianic
295 rear tire. Dont ask me why, it just happened!
Does not matter as the turbo has been developed with a 295 winter tire so use it and replace when necessary. I suspect you might run in to issues with a 305 PSS if the tire is really wide as you say. ET35 is really low for a Turbo.

Most of us know I suppose but a given size is different depending on brand.Some 305's will be wider, others narrower. There are even differences between different types from the same brand. In my business years Dunlop was notorious for delivering the narrowest tires in the business.
If we lacked clearance on a car Dunlop usually was the solution.
A 205 from Dunlop was a 190 or so in reality. The difference was that big.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

By et 35 you mean factory +16 spacer?
Since my rear alignment is on the aggressive side perhaps it will be ok. Anyway, not the time for tires yet.

Should I focus more on the car rather than the graffitti?
Here is a narrower sample... what do you think? its from my recent photoshoot!
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2012, 05:58 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Since many of us are using the max. allowed size I would make yours bigger.
Both work. Color of graffiti works with the sober meteor gray.
It's up to you.

ET51 + 16mm spacer comes to ET35. That is a lot for our cars. Your car will behave more aggressive at the limit.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:51 PM
speed21
Banned

I think I need to let the two of you lose on this thread here...
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-fitment.html
eek. Not going anywhere near that one thankyou. If that member is happy with the look of his wheels hanging out beyond the fenders, i'm happy for him. Same if he puts cayenne wheels on his car. I wish him the best of luck with that fantastic look... I'm sure it will draw a lot of attention...

By et 35 you mean factory +16 spacer?
Since my rear alignment is on the aggressive side perhaps it will be ok. Anyway, not the time for tires yet.

Should I focus more on the car rather than the graffitti?
Here is a narrower sample... what do you think? its from my recent photoshoot!
I think the rear of the car looks right the way you have it Nick. Factory offset of ET 51 plus the 16mm spacer is as dennis points out, the same as an 11" rim with an offset of ET35...which incidentally is the exact offset HRE use on their 11" rear P40, and it looks fine. I'm sure if ET35 on an 11" adversely interfered with the handling dynamic, HRE wouldn't be doing it. That said, they, like Champion keep within a 5mm extension on the front wheels so there would be a good reason for that i'm sure. I also note the offset HRE use on their 12" also puts the wheel exactly 16mm out...identical to their 11' offering.

As i mentioned earlier, from my own investigations into the offsets it appears 16mm on the rear is as far as HRE and Champion care to delve on the widebody/997tt. That's not to say you can't stick Cayenne wheels on, or even tractor wheels, or, use 22mm (or more) spacers to get the wheels out beyond the fenders, but my guess is not too many folks would go for that look lol....least of all put up with the kind of effects it would have on the handling dynamic of the car. But to each his own..

Quick Reply: Opinions on a TT wheel idea