Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on a TT wheel idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow my simple post has turned to quite a debate.. I have seen this happen with "which is the best oil?" lol!

People are passionate about their wheel choice..

For what it's worth (and the experience I have gained by buying the WRONG wheels and tires for my cars in the past) I'm in the same camp as Denis. That BBS is a great wheel for a great price and will look awesome on his car..
Old 05-31-2012, 04:13 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok fellas. Give me your honest opinons. I personally think the silver color clashes with my GT Silver paint.You wont hurt my feelings. Took pictures with BBS caps and Porsche caps as well. The last picture shows both the rear CH-R and the stock Turbo on the front to see the difference in the silver vs machined face.

For what its worth I have seen black CH-R's on silver and GT silver and it looks good but I am just not a fan of black wheels. The titanium colored CH-R's are more of a matte finish which I don't care for much either. These wheels in a brushed or machined finish would look awesome on the silver GT.

Last edited by amerlemans; 11-27-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:39 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Just google "996 anniversary" for comparison.

If you do not like the black centers, which are awesome on GT silver, than you'll either have to repaint yours in GT silver or accept the stock color which tint is close to the 996 40th. wheel.

Personally I like how it looks on your car. A silver wheel on a silver car usually isn't a perfect match. Never bothered me before.

Last edited by TT-911; 12-15-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't see the blue tinge in them going by the pictures and IMO they look pretty damn good. The thing with silver is they get a film of grey dust on them within a day or so, so they wind up titanium/charcoal looking anyway. And with a shiney silver as the base colour you get that gleam trying to burst through the dust and dirt so it gives a nice effect when the wheels are clean or dirty.

I prefer the OEM Porsche caps better but that's because it goes toward retaining the wheels as original equipment, in keeping with the type of car it is. If you have doubts you could always change them out for the titanium with pinstripe. I tend to agree with you about black wheels, the design of the rim just gets completely lost on the car and the wheel arches look like dead void areas instead of feature areas....particularly when the car is moving. To me a Porsche turbo is a exclusive performance type vehicle and not an industrial or track purposeful car such as a GT3....but to each his own. Wheels and colours tend to be quite an emotional and personal indulgence.

One thing i noticed is the car is not colour matched on the under panels which can also make a big difference to the overall appearance of the car. Again this is a personal choice but to me the car looks a whole lot better with these parts colour matched.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Black centers have been a feature of turbo's since the beginning. To me a turbo with black centers looks finished. I agree some wheels shouldn't be black but a cross spoke, which in itself is 'busy', gets toned down with a black center.
To me it works.
The feeling you describe (dead void areas) I get with wheels painted completely black.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:47 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wheels are personal and i respect that. To me solid black really makes a blank void on a beautiful body, when you could exploit the opportunity of creating something of visual interest that enhances the body. The pinstripe helps but then the black centre still becomes a void. You just can't escape that. If the centre is too busy to where you need to kill it off then why have it in the first place? Why not just get a wheel with a centre that isn't so busy like a 5 spoke or a multi straight spoke? Using CHR as an e.g.' i could go a gunmetal with silver pinstripe but pinstripe is personal. No substitute for a wheel that adds dimension to the car and with so many choices out there that can do that i just don't see sense in killing that opportunity. The early turbo used black drop shadows based off the silver rim and fuchs centre IIRC.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:18 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure that it is possible for a wheel refurb shop to make these wheels brushed, as I dont know what the result will be.
However, I agree with the idea to paint them the color of the car and that should be an easy low cost process.

And the wheel center should not be from a turbo as they have the brushed aluminum finish (plastic version of course). Get a pair from 997 non turbo which are painted silver...
Old 06-02-2012, 12:11 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speed21
I can't see the blue tinge in them going by the pictures and IMO they look pretty damn good. The thing with silver is they get a film of grey dust on them within a day or so, so they wind up titanium/charcoal looking anyway. And with a shiney silver as the base colour you get that gleam trying to burst through the dust and dirt so it gives a nice effect when the wheels are clean or dirty.

I prefer the OEM Porsche caps better but that's because it goes toward retaining the wheels as original equipment, in keeping with the type of car it is. If you have doubts you could always change them out for the titanium with pinstripe. I tend to agree with you about black wheels, the design of the rim just gets completely lost on the car and the wheel arches look like dead void areas instead of feature areas....particularly when the car is moving. To me a Porsche turbo is a exclusive performance type vehicle and not an industrial or track purposeful car such as a GT3....but to each his own. Wheels and colours tend to be quite an emotional and personal indulgence.

One thing i noticed is the car is not colour matched on the under panels which can also make a big difference to the overall appearance of the car. Again this is a personal choice but to me the car looks a whole lot better with these parts colour matched.
Paul - the pictures actuallly make the wheels appear to be a better match than they really are. I have elected to return them to TireRack (only $80 out of pocket). I just didn't dig the look. I completely understand that this is purely an individual decision when it comes to looks and appearance. I don't think I am going to go with the black BBS CHR's either as I agree with you that the car is not an industrial piece like a GT3 and just isn't what I think of when I hear/see a 911 Turbo. I am going to continue to search for a polished/brushed finish. I have broadened my search to include something like a 3 piece wheel with a step lip. I have my eyes on a set of 3 piece DPE's but the offset seems too aggresive to me...11.5 rears with an ET36. Your thoughts on that offset?

As far as the underpanels go, I like the look of the black vs the color matched rockers and front lip. Just personal preference.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Factory option: wheels painted exterior color. It's OK but if I were going to keep this car a long time I would put some HRE P40s on it; love the look of those wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2012, 11:34 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Wheels are personal and i respect that.
Good that you posted that or I would be confused

If the centre is too busy to where you need to kill it off then why have it in the first place? Why not just get a wheel with a centre that isn't so busy like a 5 spoke or a multi straight spoke?
I was just trying to be polite and find some middle ground. In Europe, especially Belgium, we usually prefer to find common ground. I think I just wanted to make everybody feel ok with their choice.

It's 'shop but this looks so gorgeous :

Last edited by TT-911; 12-15-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:53 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yellow pin stripe not my thing...
Old 06-02-2012, 12:04 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Yeah Nick, I knew it would not be for you, you dislike the silver rim piece on the BBS so can imagine how you feel with yellow. ;-)
Would not do it myself but nevertheless like it. It works with the brakes.

Can't wait till Paul gives his opinion on the black voids with yellow stripes

Hey I just came across a guy who thinks Europipe drones , never read that before :
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=759366#759366
Old 06-02-2012, 12:33 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

I am so exhausted with this exercise I may just keep the stock wheels on the damn thing. I just wish BBS made the CH-R's in a brushed or polished finish. I love the style of that wheel.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:37 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

If you like polished than don't sent them back.
Here in Belgium we have several guys who polish wheels, I am sure you can find someone in your area too.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:23 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Guys - I have located two sets of wheels and want to run the offsets by you. Will these fit a widebody without using spacers?

19x9 et40 front
19x11.5 et48 rear

The other set seems too agreesive on the rear to me

19x11.5 et36

Quick Reply: Opinions on a TT wheel idea