Help with purchase issues/DME/Fees/Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Seth W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with purchase issues/DME/Fees/Paint

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in the process of diligencing a car that meets 99% of my desires. Its located 1/2 way across the country. I'm doing the usual, DME and Paint Meter, Carfax etc.

1) DME. The dealer gave me the attached for the DME report. I've seen others and this is not what they looked like. Can you all confirm that there is no such thing as a car that has never, ever had a type 1 overrev?? The sales person has told me that there are "0 Overrevs" on this car. Is that even possible?

2) Fees. I'm paying cash from out of state. The dealer invoice is tacking on $240 for tax, title and license, as well as $179 for document fee, $259 for "Phantom FP" (not making that up) as well as $497 for "Dealer Services". I'm used to tax, title and license (but how in the hell is there TTL if I am out of state??). In any event, if anyone can weigh in on these fees, I would appreciate it.

3) Paint Meter. I am told that this dealer does not have a paint meter on site. Given that these cost less than $1k, how is this possible? Has anyone ever had pushback on this before?

Thanks so much to all of you in advance.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Khalid Kassim
Intermediate

I've never seen a DME like that, mine provided all the levels and the ones that it was running on. Thankfully only level 1 Make sure the DME has your VIN on it and that it looks like a legit report. Check online for "DME readings" you'll find a bunch of examples...
Old 01-10-2012, 05:42 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

That is definitely not a complete report. You need the details of each type of overrev, the complete report would show each level and number of ignitions in each level (0 to XXX).

Phantom FP??!! What BS is that??

Find a way to get a PPI through another dealer or independent before you commit.

Lot of suspect stealer BS here.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Seth W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcnesq
That is definitely not a complete report. You need the details of each type of overrev, the complete report would show each level and number of ignitions in each level (0 to XXX).

Find a way to get a PPI through another dealer or independent before you commit.

Yeah, I've seen what a real DME report looks like. It looks nothing like this. I'm not enjoying this purchase experience.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

Every car dealer has a paint meter. Thats BS.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:59 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Porsche West Houston sales is shady. Be very very careful. Louis is a tool and a truth stretcher.
They do not like informed buyers. Next they will be telling you they have another buyers order for this car. So if you don't buy someone else will. They like the young and dumb buyers.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:38 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Many dealers try to tack on fees, most of which are nothing but pure profit. Tax, title and license are legit. But I think the others they quoted you should be negotiable.

And I don't think they're collecting sales tax from you, you'll prob pay that at the DMV when you register the car. That's what happened to me when I bought a car from a dealer in TX.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Seth W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by function12
Porsche West Houston sales is shady. Be very very careful. Louis is a tool and a truth stretcher.
They do not like informed buyers. Next they will be telling you they have another buyers order for this car. So if you don't buy someone else will. They like the young and dumb buyers.
Well, this one is over. They would not come up with the DME, and they told me "that porsche nationwide has changed computer systems and that a DME like the one I sent them (showing overrevs) is no longer possible". They had another buyer, and I gladly told them that they should sell it to the next person.

This was a very unpleasant buying experience. I will not look at another car at this dealership.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:47 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

congrats on the "non-purchase". The seller sounded like total BS and hopefully they get reported to PCNA for ****ty tactics.
"Phantom FP", What the?

Go to a reputable Pcar dealer in your area and ask for a DME scan of one of their cars, and see if their report looks like the first dealer showed you. I'd wager a full blown BS on the first dealer.

And if you have a CA tag that you can put on an out-of -state purchase, you don't need to pay tax, tag an title. You do have to pay some form of sales tax when you register the car in your state. ( at least in FL), so there are benefits when you buy from an owner and not a dealer.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth W
Well, this one is over. They would not come up with the DME, and they told me "that porsche nationwide has changed computer systems and that a DME like the one I sent them (showing overrevs) is no longer possible". They had another buyer, and I gladly told them that they should sell it to the next person.

This was a very unpleasant buying experience. I will not look at another car at this dealership.
No DME huh, I just had one done on my GT3RS this morning.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:25 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why dont you share this experience with PCNA?
Oh and talk to the sales guy and send him a link to this post. And post it to other sub forums on rennlist so you have a 3-4 page thread.

These morons underestimate the power of word of mouth combined with internet.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:55 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

They are owned by Sonic automotive. They don't care.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq

Too late now but for next time learn what extra fees a dealer likes to charge. Generally Porsche dealers are less likely to tack on off the wall fees but you never know.

My attitude is if the dealer wants to charge $30,000 for doc fees that's fine by me. I just subtract that $30,000 doc fee from what I value the car worth and offer the dealer that amount.

Really though if I learn the seller likes to tack goofy fees for advertising, power and lights, parking, salesmen widows funds, whatever, I generally do not bother to visit that seller at all.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Seth W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Too late now but for next time learn what extra fees a dealer likes to charge. Generally Porsche dealers are less likely to tack on off the wall fees but you never know.

My attitude is if the dealer wants to charge $30,000 for doc fees that's fine by me. I just subtract that $30,000 doc fee from what I value the car worth and offer the dealer that amount.

Really though if I learn the seller likes to tack goofy fees for advertising, power and lights, parking, salesmen widows funds, whatever, I generally do not bother to visit that seller at all.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Macster: I had an email from the dealer with a price that included TTLF (Tax, title license and fees) I naturally assumed that this meant it was all included, it was only after this that they started piling on fees. That was why I was so blown away...it was like the email we had did not existed. You should have heard the explanation for that (I must have meant to type the + sign instead of the = sign!). In any event, yes, I will be diligent on this. I have a line on another car already!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

When I cut a deal with a dealer I make my offer out the door. Everything included. Then I don't car what fees they have. They can divey up their money however they want.

Quick Reply: Help with purchase issues/DME/Fees/Paint