Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with purchase issues/DME/Fees/Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Cevin
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a similar 'out the door' approach, but with a difference. I actually try to get my dealer to raise the amount of fees along with raising the value of the trade-in relative to the price of the new car. This nets the dealer what they want, it still lets me pay what I want to pay bottom line, BUT, it saves me on sales tax since in my state, they only charge sales tax on the amount between new and trade, not on fees. So, whatever I can do to narrow the difference between new and trade, the lower my sales tax bite will be. btw, I do not tell the dealer why I want them to raise the fees - when they ask, I just say I want my trade-in value to look better. They haven't caught on about the lower tax, they think it's some psychological reason on thinking I'm getting more on the trade. Without a trade, I try and get the fees raised and the new car price lowered. Same net amount, but again, lower sales tax.

Last edited by Cevin; 01-11-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth W
Macster: I had an email from the dealer with a price that included TTLF (Tax, title license and fees) I naturally assumed that this meant it was all included, it was only after this that they started piling on fees. That was why I was so blown away...it was like the email we had did not existed. You should have heard the explanation for that (I must have meant to type the + sign instead of the = sign!). In any event, yes, I will be diligent on this. I have a line on another car already!
If the salesman's doing this he's likely trying to pad the sales price to keep or boost his commission. The question then becomes is he doing this on his own or with his salesmanager's knowledge?

On his own I can deal with by trying to deal directly with or at least be sure my salesman is dealing directly with the salesmanager to avoid this kind of goofiness.

If the salesman is doing this with his salesmanager's knowledge, I'd walk.

This kind of behavior signals to me this is a place I would prefer *not* to do business with.

If the F&I tries this -- and some have -- just make like you're walking out. No F&I guy wants to ruin a sale in his office. He'll try to tack on something, get you to finance or lease when you've offered cash, or add some extra something like 'paint protection' or an aftermarket stereo or whatever and I'll decline and that's that. But if he tries harder... walk or act like you're walking away from the deal.

For me the bottom line is I must feel I'm dealing with someone on the up and up. If not then I walk away. Car buying is intense, at times, but it should always be fun and one shouldn't feel he has to keep his hand on his wallet walking through the dealer's showroom or check his watch and ring are still on his wrist and finger after shaking hands with a seller.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Help with purchase issues/DME/Fees/Paint