Sponsored by:

My 40th birthday gift from my wife

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:35 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Default My 40th birthday gift from my wife

Hello my turbo section friends. This is my first post in this section of RL and what a fabulous reason to do so. Knowing my disease of Porschitis, my wife wants me to have the ultimate 40th B'day gift: A 911 Turbo. I have a decent 5% off custom build offer. This is my preliminary build. Please be aware that I am totally new to the turbos and don't have that much insight/knowledge on it.

Meteor Grey Metallic
Natural Leather in Carrera Red
Side Skirts Painted Exterior Color
Bi-Xenon(TM) headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Sport Chrono Package Turbo Including Dynamic Engine Mounts
Limited Slip Rear Differential
7-Speed (PDK)
19" 911 Turbo II Wheel
Center Console Painted Exterior Color
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated Seats (Front)
Adaptive sport Seats
XM(R) Satellite Radio Receiver

Now for the questions.

1) I will lose money on the deal that would occur when I trade in my pristine '09 C4S but from a cost to benefit ratio do you think I would regret moving into a TT from a C4S (I know I should not even be asking this question but I really want to know given how great the C4S is the TT that much superior package or will I be saying lifelong "man it's great but not really worth the 20K that I lost on the C4S trade").

2) How does 5% off sound for a custom build ?

3) How are you all liking my performance heavy and fluff light build. Please bear in mind that all though I should have spent some time going through prior posts on this section, I have not spent any time at all. As you can imagine "too many sections to cover ... too little time". Thank you for your time and input as always.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:24 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Build sounds good. Although mine was a dealer order, they did it "right" and the only things I can immediately think of that I have and like in addition to yours is the thicker steering wheel (not even sure that is available with PDK), and is Universal Audio Intferace standard or an option?

Think about a paint to sample - do it "your" way!!! SERIOUSLY!! That is something I have always wanted to do and almost did when I originally planned to order a 2010 GT3, but then succumbed to an 09 TT on my dealer's lot. This is IMHO one of the best bang for the buck options Porsche offers. Meteor Grey is nice, but it is nothing "special". I was thinking about doing a GT3 in Speedster Red (aka Signal Red), a 356 color (and that is color, so far, I have planned to repaint my 356 in). But lately I am really taken by the blues, especially Riviera Blue, even thinking about going blue on the 356. Anyway, after a lot of pcars and my recent culmination in my 09 TT, I still lust for one paint to sample (and a factory delivery). Seriously, think about it!!! And think about a factory delivery too! Life is way too short.

To answer your questions:
1) If you look at it in pure financial terms, yes it is probably stupid and you should keep the C4S for many years. I traded my 5 month old 04 996 Targa for the 997S launch car, that was probably stupid, but it made me happy. The TT is just awesome! Do you need it? - No. Is your C4S enough car for your commute? - Yes. Are we all crazy? - Yes. This is my first TT and no I don't need it, but damn its intoxicating when you use it! The biggest problem is you will probably never go back, so welcome to the dark side!

2) I have no current market info, but 5% sounds like a reasonable deal - dealer probably has about 10% to play with, 50/50 seems OK. I love a good deal, but I am also not one to fight for the last two nickels - if it should be 6% instead of 5% I just wouldn't worry.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:33 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

P.S. Awesome wife!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:52 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

When you copied this post to 6speedonline you still refer to RL

Congrats. Whole new ball game VS a C4S
Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome wife! Congrats on all 3 (BDay, Turbo and Spouse).

You should be able to get 10% off a custome build, from a dealership if they have an open build allocation that meets your time-line. If you are willing to open up your search area, and even buy out of state, you can do much better than 5%. But, if you want to buy from a local Porsche dealership, I can understand, but you risk leaving money on the table.

You should email your custom build requirements and timing to 4-6 Porsche dealerships in your surroundng area. Call the dealership, and ask for the email address for the Sales Manager. State your final price (10% off MSRP) and the intent to give an immediate credit card deposit (or check) for acceptance. I'm certain (and it has been my experience) that an out of state dealership will "bite" if they have an open build allocation, because they figure "I was never going to get your business anyway, I have an open build, I can sell it fast, and take a slightly smaller margin".

When the Turbo comes in, you fly down with the wife, and have a nice drive home and complete about 1/2 of the the dreaded break-in process.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:25 AM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife surprised me with a 1996 993 C2 (GR/tan) for my 42nd birthday back in 1997. Yes, she picked it out by herself (but did not choose blindly as she knew my taste in cars - previously owned a 1984 944). Still drive the 993 (love it, will never sell, just out this morning with it for a country drive) and happily married now for almost 23 years. Ummm...wonder if the 993 and happy marriage are correlated, do you think? Good luck with purchase. May it serve you well.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Build sounds good. Although mine was a dealer order, they did it "right" and the only things I can immediately think of that I have and like in addition to yours is the thicker steering wheel (not even sure that is available with PDK), and is Universal Audio Intferace standard or an option?

Think about a paint to sample - do it "your" way!!! SERIOUSLY!! That is something I have always wanted to do and almost did when I originally planned to order a 2010 GT3, but then succumbed to an 09 TT on my dealer's lot. This is IMHO one of the best bang for the buck options Porsche offers. Meteor Grey is nice, but it is nothing "special". I was thinking about doing a GT3 in Speedster Red (aka Signal Red), a 356 color (and that is color, so far, I have planned to repaint my 356 in). But lately I am really taken by the blues, especially Riviera Blue, even thinking about going blue on the 356. Anyway, after a lot of pcars and my recent culmination in my 09 TT, I still lust for one paint to sample (and a factory delivery). Seriously, think about it!!! And think about a factory delivery too! Life is way too short.

To answer your questions:
1) If you look at it in pure financial terms, yes it is probably stupid and you should keep the C4S for many years. I traded my 5 month old 04 996 Targa for the 997S launch car, that was probably stupid, but it made me happy. The TT is just awesome! Do you need it? - No. Is your C4S enough car for your commute? - Yes. Are we all crazy? - Yes. This is my first TT and no I don't need it, but damn its intoxicating when you use it! The biggest problem is you will probably never go back, so welcome to the dark side!

2) I have no current market info, but 5% sounds like a reasonable deal - dealer probably has about 10% to play with, 50/50 seems OK. I love a good deal, but I am also not one to fight for the last two nickels - if it should be 6% instead of 5% I just wouldn't worry.
Thicker steering wheel or paddle shift sport steering wheel was not in the configurator. I would love both but don't see it !!

Originally Posted by jcnesq
P.S. Awesome wife!
Ya.. tell me about her. She is an amazing woman.

Originally Posted by raclaims
When you copied this post to 6speedonline you still refer to RL

Congrats. Whole new ball game VS a C4S
OOps. Sorry it was 1 AM. Thanks for pointing it out.

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Awesome wife! Congrats on all 3 (BDay, Turbo and Spouse).

You should be able to get 10% off a custome build, from a dealership if they have an open build allocation that meets your time-line. If you are willing to open up your search area, and even buy out of state, you can do much better than 5%. But, if you want to buy from a local Porsche dealership, I can understand, but you risk leaving money on the table.

You should email your custom build requirements and timing to 4-6 Porsche dealerships in your surroundng area. Call the dealership, and ask for the email address for the Sales Manager. State your final price (10% off MSRP) and the intent to give an immediate credit card deposit (or check) for acceptance. I'm certain (and it has been my experience) that an out of state dealership will "bite" if they have an open build allocation, because they figure "I was never going to get your business anyway, I have an open build, I can sell it fast, and take a slightly smaller margin".

When the Turbo comes in, you fly down with the wife, and have a nice drive home and complete about 1/2 of the the dreaded break-in process.
Great idea which did cross my mind. Trouble is I really don't see a 10% off for such a desirable car. NA cars sure, turbo: different market. But I guess calling a few in california does not hurt. Let me know if anyone here has dealerships that would do it. I would go up to Colorado and anywhere west of that state.

Originally Posted by fineito
My wife surprised me with a 1996 993 C2 (GR/tan) for my 42nd birthday back in 1997. Yes, she picked it out by herself (but did not choose blindly as she knew my taste in cars - previously owned a 1984 944). Still drive the 993 (love it, will never sell, just out this morning with it for a country drive) and happily married now for almost 23 years. Ummm...wonder if the 993 and happy marriage are correlated, do you think? Good luck with purchase. May it serve you well.
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

One questions guys. Due to the P-cars I own, I never pigeon hole myself into any camp like air-cooled vs water cooled (I love both), 6-speed vs PDK(I love both). So let me ask you this (and as I told you I would love either one and I know the choice is mine). I have mutual respect and admiration for both. If the car is not going to be a daily driver and if one is not going to track the car why not go with 6 speed and save some cash. I would love to hear your thoughts on that ?

BTW, here is some eye candy from me in return as a way of thanking you all for taking the time to help me out.
Attached Images        

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 03-27-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:37 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

one full WOT run and you will write off the amount you lose on the trade in...

Welcome to the dark side. Forced induction is worth every penny. And at this stage of my life, all three of my cars are turbos - see sig!! Lucky me. WELCOME
Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 PM
wlcarrera4
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post on the TT forum. I just picked up an '11 this weekend in meteor grey. I had an atlas C4 and I really like the meteor more. The lighter color actually picks up the tone from the interior so you might get a reddish hue if you go with the carrera red (mine is black).

In terms of options, I would suggest the seat ventillation. Not sure what the weather is like where you live, but the ventillation was revelation!

I think level of discount depends on your local dealers. I live in NY tri-state so the discounts aren't so great. It is nice buying from a local guy as I think service levels are better when you bring it back in.

FORCED INDUCTION DOESN'T COMPARE. My C4 was nice but the TT is UNBELIEVABLE.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Great idea which did cross my mind. Trouble is I really don't see a 10% off for such a desirable car. NA cars sure, turbo: different market. But I guess calling a few in california does not hurt. Let me know if anyone here has dealerships that would do it. I would go up to Colorado and anywhere west of that state.
All Porsches are desirable, and all of them are limited production. You just need to find one dealership, with an open build allocation, who was not going to get your businesss anyways.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:17 PM
laelops
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if going for performance build, PTV is a must, why not just get an S and get the 30 hp boost essentially for free
Old 03-30-2011, 02:43 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

A little update guys. My custom order is not going that well. The powers to be have rejected my offer and will at the most discount 5.5 K off a 154K custom order and will give me 5K less than what I wanted on my C4S. My attention is now one this one. Trying to see if they can knock off 6 to 7% off MSRP and get me a little closer to the numer I want for the trade in. I would love to hear your thoughts on the car, the color combo and am I being unreasonable on the 7% off MSRP irrespective of the trade in value. Silver and red has always been my favorite although my wife wants me to get a MG/red coz she believes that it is a better contrast.

http://colorado-springs.porschedeale...24598/info.php
Old 03-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are getting a custom build you should use the money you save with the discount and take European delivery.

I have a big chunk saved for the 991 Turbo for when it comes out and a big chunk of that is set aside for going to Europe.

That and I finally decided against getting the 918, I was going to pull the trigger at $500K, not no frigen $850K. That is just plain silly. I can get a used Bugatti for that much.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
A little update guys. My custom order is not going that well. The powers to be have rejected my offer and will at the most discount 5.5 K off a 154K custom order and will give me 5K less than what I wanted on my C4S. My attention is now one this one. Trying to see if they can knock off 6 to 7% off MSRP and get me a little closer to the numer I want for the trade in. I would love to hear your thoughts on the car, the color combo and am I being unreasonable on the 7% off MSRP irrespective of the trade in value. Silver and red has always been my favorite although my wife wants me to get a MG/red coz she believes that it is a better contrast.

http://colorado-springs.porschedeale...24598/info.php
Do some calling around, even if you have to order out of state you can get a better discount than that.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:39 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+ 1
Check if you can find an out of state car. It MUST be a buyers market, with an imminent model change!
Look for meteor grey on red as well, brochure color. I love it.

Quick Reply: My 40th birthday gift from my wife