Sponsored by:

The danger of buying used wheels *A MUST READ*

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 PM
dgreen78
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation The danger of buying used wheels *A MUST READ*

So I am driving along the road and I hear a very odd grinding noise. I pulled over and 2 of my spokes on my Kineses F110 wheel are cracked all the way through the spokes! I was amazed as I thought these were bullet proof strong wheels! So I have the car flat bedded away to a near by shop. The tire guy comes back to me and says that they have been welded up recently! I just bought these a month ago from a forum member online that told me they were "just re-painted because of some minor scratches." I am pretty pissed at this point for not only being f*cked over for buying welded up wheels but this could have killed myself or others on the road!!! Imagine if I was driving the car hard and it busted completely!

You can see the welds on the back side were the cracks are if you look closely. Come to find out these wheels were bought from a major wheel company online, welded up, painted over, and re-sold!

You can see the spokes have been welded up and painted over:

Let me know what you guys think....
Old 03-22-2011, 07:32 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

You have every right to be pissed and you were flat out defrauded! Sad commentary on the seller (who I assume knew the facts).

Suggest you call Wheel Enhancement and talk to Dave just for some background info. I was out at their shop maybe 5 years ago, and they were getting ready to fly off somewhere with Kinesis because a wheel had failed at a track. This shouldn't be happening to the wheels absent some major force (of course this doesn't apply to you since they were welded up). Anyway, they may be of some help to you and if you want replacements they are the best - honest, stand up guys.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

What a mess! Does only one wheel show welding? Not sure I understand this - "Come to find out these wheels were bought from a major wheel company online, welded up, painted over, and re-sold!" - did your seller buy from the major wheel company then repair and resell or was it the major wheel company that sold you the repaired wheels. Either way, it's not right - any recourse?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 PM
dgreen78
Racer

The wheels were sold to me from a forum member. After they cracked on him he sent them back to be welded up again. After he got them back he decided to dump them (on myself). The major wheel company that originally bought them broken and welded up decide to weld them up again and sell them. Two were shipped to me from the forum member and 2 (the welded one) were shipped from the company in California directly to me. They even told me flat out on the phone they were never welded, "just reinforced"
Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like crap to me. I smell a lawsuit...
Old 03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
You have every right to be pissed and you were flat out defrauded! Sad commentary on the seller (who I assume knew the facts).

Suggest you call Wheel Enhancement and talk to Dave just for some background info. I was out at their shop maybe 5 years ago, and they were getting ready to fly off somewhere with Kinesis because a wheel had failed at a track. This shouldn't be happening to the wheels absent some major force (of course this doesn't apply to you since they were welded up). Anyway, they may be of some help to you and if you want replacements they are the best - honest, stand up guys.
+1 on Wheel Enhancements - solid straight up....
Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 PM
dgreen78
Racer

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Sounds like crap to me. I smell a lawsuit...
Already in the works. I tried giving both the seller and the wheel company a chance and neither budged.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
floridaBMW
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow thats VERY scary, glad u were safe though. Sounds like a mess, hopefully the seller can take on some responsibility for the transaction.

Ken
Old 03-23-2011, 12:05 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreen78
Already in the works. I tried giving both the seller and the wheel company a chance and neither budged.
Hire a competent legal representative and I'm sure this will be settled out of court. No way the company or seller has any legal "leg" to stand on here.

Good luck and I can't wait for pics of your new wheels when this is finally resolved.

Jay
Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the warning, glad you're OK. Feel free to let us know this selling wheel company and member when it is OK to say.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:56 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

If I were you I would throw the wheels in the trash, exspose the seller and company here and move on with your life. Used wheels are pot luck. I have had mostly good experience but I have a pro look at them before mounting them on my car. I have had to send a set or two back or have them repaired.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Game over?

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post3155428
Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oh wow that has become quite a thread over there... 4-5 pages a day.... and vendor too busy to respond.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

A complicated topic for sure.

1. A board member sold rims he knew were flawed without proper disclosure.

2. A vendor repaired rims in a manner that may not have been safe.

3. An end customer trying to recoup his costs from either of the above for a purchase that did not meet reasonable expectations.

I consider myself lucky that in all the years of dealing with members and vendors on rennlist I've never had issues like this.

Kirk
Old 03-25-2011, 05:03 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://jalopnik.com/#!5785821/porsch...el+spoke-break

Quick Reply: The danger of buying used wheels *A MUST READ*