Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The danger of buying used wheels *A MUST READ*

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:13 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Some people have mentioned "Buyer Beware", but in this case it goes well beyond that, as the sellers goods were deliberately misrepresented, and repairs made by the wheel vendor may have been faulty.

caveat emptor

[Latin, Let the buyer beware.] A warning that notifies a buyer that the goods he or she is buying are "as is," or subject to all defects.

When a sale is subject to this warning the purchaser assumes the risk that the product might be either defective or unsuitable to his or her needs.

This rule is not designed to shield sellers who engage in Fraud or bad faith dealing by making false or misleading representations about the quality or condition of a particular product. It merely summarizes the concept that a purchaser must examine, judge, and test a product considered for purchase himself or herself.

The modern trend in laws protecting consumers, however, has minimized the importance of this rule. Although the buyer is still required to make a reasonable inspection of goods upon purchase, increased responsibilities have been placed upon the seller, and the doctrine of caveat venditor (Latin for "let the seller beware") has become more prevalent. Generally, there is a legal presumption that a seller makes certain warranties unless the buyer and the seller agree otherwise. One such Warranty is the Implied Warranty of merchantability. If a person buys soap, for example, there is an implied warranty that it will clean; if a person buys skis, there is an implied warranty that they will be safe to use on the slopes.

A seller who is in the business of regularly selling a particular type of goods has still greater responsibilities in dealing with an average customer. A person purchasing antiques from an antique dealer, or jewelry from a jeweler, is justified in his or her reliance on the expertise of the seller.

If both the buyer and the seller are negotiating from equal bargaining positions, however, the doctrine of caveat emptor would apply.

Kirk
Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 231 Posts

Wow Don....I just read through that whole thread on 6Speed.
I am relieved that you were not physically hurt by this. I mean OMG. Who the hell would try to repair a wheel like that? Oh yeah, greedy unethical people.
I find it hard to believe that the seller, Mr Sleezy, did not feel ethically obligated to disclose that these wheels had sustained major damage and were welded.
I am amazed that WD has not posted a response yet on 6Speed. I'm assuming they have no defense of their actions and are trying to figure out how to 'forge' ahead. Sorry for the pun.

Good luck with this. I don't know if you'll ever get justice or reimbursement but I am certain that WD has lost significant business as your plight has gone viral on a plethora of car forums.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FYI

I bought my used car and sold the Turbo Twists wheels here. when purchaser told me the 2 of the wheels were bent and caused high speed vibrations, I re-funded all his money even before he asked. I told him that I would hate this to happen to me.
I would think majority of people here are the same.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:24 AM
beowulf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why buy used rims... how much could you have saved? Where did you take the rims to have them examined/ fitted to your car.... Pep Boys?
It's obviously a critical part of the car and you chose, above all else, to save a few dollars.....

Thanks for posting as this is an important lesson for all.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:33 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beowulf
Why buy used rims... how much could you have saved?
Sometimes 50-75% or more of original cost

Many here have bought and sold "used" wheels with great experience and results

But what happened here should have never have happened

This wheel should have been trashed way before it got to this point

Quick Reply: The danger of buying used wheels *A MUST READ*