Sponsored by:

Just drove my first Turbo!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:05 AM
mikefitz6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just drove my first Turbo!!

I currently have a 996 C2 2004. Then I drove a 2008 Turbo cab that was just fantastic. I liked everything about it, except for one small thing. The 2008 Turbo is out of my price range right now. I figured in 2 years I would look at a C2S. My local IPD suggested I go with the 2010 model in a couple of years. He then made strong arguments to go with a 997.1 Turbo instead. Lots of advantages and he figured the prices would be simiilar in 2012. It sounded good to me.

Is there any downside to going with a 997.1 Turbo vs a 2010 C2S?

(I would expect a strong Turbo bias, since I am posting on this forum!)

Mike
Old 10-06-2010, 02:58 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bias?

Nah, there's no bias here at all..............
Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

I love my '09...and it's the last of the GT1 block engines.....what is your budget?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-06-2010, 09:19 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Once you turbo in a porsche, a NA will never satisfy unless you get a GT3/RS...
Old 10-06-2010, 09:38 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefitz6
Is there any downside to going with a 997.1 Turbo vs a 2010 C2S?

(I would expect a strong Turbo bias, since I am posting on this forum!)

Mike
No downside. Obviously, a forced induction motor is MUCH more accepting of modifications for HP/Torque increases vs a NA engine (if you are looking for tuning/modification possibilities).

The 997 Turbo should depreciate along a similar curve to the 996 Turbo, given the production numbers (IIRC, there is a RL member in the 996 Turbo forum who has put together an Excel calculator which is very good at predicting 996 Turbo prices, which should give you an indication of what will happen going forward with 997 Turbo prices).
The 997.1 might have a slight advantage, given that it was the last of the Metzger style engines (true dry sump, LeMans 98, used in the 964, 993, 996 Turbo/GT2/GT3, 997.1 Turbo), perhaps the greatest Porsche production engine ever. A very long and reliable history.

The C2S uses a wet sump engine, which PAG calls an integrated dry sump. Those engines of course were known for RMS issues, porous blocks, IMS issues, etc.

Some people really don't care about owning a dry sump GT1 derived engine, some do. Is the new DFI wet sump engine being used in all Turbos going forward as reliable as the engine it has replaced? Only time will tell.

Good luck with your decision.
Oh, one more thing ... please don't feed the trolls.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:16 PM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its a disease... the symptoms are way worse in the sport mode. good luck and go tt you wont regret it.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 PM
mikefitz6
Intermediate

Eric,

I am not sure what my budget is, but it will be two years before I get serious. On the other hand I only had the '89 for 1 year before I got the 996, so when opportunity knocks.....

The Porsche dealer wants $115,000 for the '08. It seems to have everything though.

What sold me on the turbo was a pickup truck. As we sat at a red light with the top down on this beautiful turbo, these guys pulled up in a jacked up pickup with loud pipes. They had their window open and I could hear them saying "get ready, the light is going to change" Now, I am a responsible adult who has no intention of drag racing in the middle of town, or any other place. That is for the brain dead. The light changed and we both took off. I was watching them slowly pull ahead. I shifted into second. In my 996 I would have punched it and felt confident that I would have passed them as the tach went into the 4000 + range, but as a responsible adult, I don't do that (much). Never having driven a turbo, I just pushed a little harder on the gas pedal. WOW!!!! I was 30 yards ahead of them and doing 53 mph. I could not believe how fast the car was. I started to tap the break to slow down to 40 and after a few seconds the boys in the truck passed me. Who cared. I was too busy making every deal I could think of to get my wife to buy the car!!! I knew there was no way to afford it, but it must be how meth users feel. I HAD to have the car NOW!!

Reality took hold and the car will be bought by someone else. I really loved everything about the turbo including how it felt in the corners, how it accelerated, even the seats were much nicer than my plain jane seats.

I guess I will have to frequent this forum more often. Until I get a turbo I will just read and learn. I think I might make my post in the 997 forum just to see if there are any logical arguments to not getting a turbo. I suspect that owning a turbo isn't so much logic as just raw emotion!

Mike
Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Completely unbiased - Turbo!

Seriously, don't know your budget either, but $115,00 for an '08 is unrealistically high. They can be had for $20,000 - $30,000 less than that.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:09 AM
orcfromthesouth
Instructor

You wonder what's all the fuss and the premium $$ over a C2. Then you get on the gas and experience the Saturn-esque thrust over 3000 rpm. And you start thinkin about selling the house!
They warn you about turbo lag....which I can't really find. In fact, whatever it has, its less than the 'cam lag' of the NA engines. So much so that I keep thinking 5th is 3rd.
Enjoy. Hope you find the way.....
Old 10-21-2010, 09:41 PM
shahrukh_bakar
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts

By 'Saturn-esque' you mean the planet, not the defunct plastic-bodied no-haggle feel-good cars from GM, right??

Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Saturn was a ROCKET.

And a damn fine one at that!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:39 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 152 Posts

I just went through the same evolution. Had a 2003 C2 cab - it was on its last month of CPO when it had a bad 02 sensor and wiped out the cat. Under warranty - no problem. Added to the coil pack it needed last summer and the AC compressor it needed last spring, I knew I needed to get into a new CPO car or buy an aftermarket warranty.

My cab was triple black - I wanted a triple black turbo, but had not been able to find a used one with the right miles/options (figuring 2007 was my sweet spot).

When I brought my C2 in for service, my dealership let me take a 2007 turbo coupe out as a loaner. Everyone was smirking when I left. When I came back, I loudly announced "you #@$#ards!" - it got a good laugh.

So guess what I'm driving today? It's not triple black, the top does not go down - but it has yellow seat belts to match the brake calipers and when I stomp on it, I have to clear my ears from the pressure change (no joke, never experienced that in a car before). The car I have listed for $156K when new and they were asking $88, including CPO - it has 12K on the odometer (!) and they took my C2 on trade for a very decent price IMHO.

I'll miss the top going down in the spring - but I have a 1970 Chevelle convertible that will see more sunlight next year because of it. I used to think the Chevelle was fast...
Old 10-22-2010, 04:41 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo first appeared at the end of 06 for the 07 model year. I am sure there have to be cheaper examples out there... A lot cheaper.
Be warned that buying a turbo will ruin you (car wise) for life, there are few things that you can upgrade from that. And you know that eventually you are going to get one even if you start with a C2S PDK. And in the process you will lose 20 grand at a minimum. But all lessons have to be paid to be learned...

I am going through the same argument with my partner who is in the market for a 911. We saw a great C4S cab today, PDK and all, and then he drove my turbo (again)... I think that cleared his mind pretty quick... This is the most intoxicating car you can ever own.

Bias? What bias.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:21 PM
mikefitz6
Intermediate

Thanks all for the comments. Over the last few days I have looked for turbos and I see that they can be less expensive than the one the local dealer is offering. I still will probably not be in the market for a couple of years. I might have a good argument to get one sooner though. I took my bicycle out 3 noghts ago and a driver made an illegal left turn and hit me. I flew up onto his hood, cracked his windshield real bad, and landed on the roof. Banged up my carbon fiber bike, need a new helmet. No broken bones. Pretty stiff, but I went to work the last 2 days. The dirtbag has no insurance, and my deductable is high enough my insurance won't pay much.

Argument to my wife ....

"You know if I had a turbo I could have accelerated and gotten out of the way in plenty of time. I think I should replace the bike with a turbo! Think of the money we could save not having to eat the deductable!!"

I will let you know if that works.

Mike
Old 10-23-2010, 09:04 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

aaaaahhhahahaha I know, I am sorry you got hurt and all, but boy if you manage to sell that argument line, you will be my hero for life!!!!!

Why dont you look at a 996 turbo? Still a very capable car you know, and could be within reach...

Quick Reply: Just drove my first Turbo!!