Sponsored by:

PASM Failure wtih battery change

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Big.O
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy PASM Failure wtih battery change

The battery in my '07 tt went dead this week. Now I understand the benefit of a battery tender. I changed it to an Interstate MTP-91 today and it cranks fine. I did hook up the trickle charger via the cigarette lighter before I removed the dead battery.
However, I got a PASM Failure message as soon as I cranked it up. Everything else worked great, same time on the clock, etc. But no PASM.
Did I screw this up? How? Is this a known issue with a battery problem? Any wisdom is welcome!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Leo Hecke
6th Gear

Default 07 Battery failure and PASM

I had the same issue as my 07 Turbo battery failed at 9500 miles, I spent $300 by taking it to the dealer, would not do it again as you can do this yourself.
The OEM batteries are crap if you ask me.

As for PASM, if you read the manual you just have to drive it and the PASM light goes off.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Big.O
Track Day

Yep, you are dead on. I drove it and the PASM light would not come on nor would the system come on. I turned the car off for about 10 minutes, back on and the PASM became active again.

Whew! Thanks.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I made the same mistake by NOT using a battery tender during winter. The dealer installed a new battery for $300+ not covered under warranty. Expensive mistake...
Old 05-30-2010, 01:44 PM
WJuser
AutoX

if I plug a battery tender in cig. lighter when the car is parked in my garage with key out of ign. will the tender connect to the battery and perform as needed? 2006 carrera S and avoide drain and battery death?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by williamjweiner
if I plug a battery tender in cig. lighter when the car is parked in my garage with key out of ign. will the tender connect to the battery and perform as needed? 2006 carrera S and avoide drain and battery death?
Yup, that's what it's for
Old 05-30-2010, 06:04 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
Yup, that's what it's for

Test to see if it's working as follows:

After maybe 24 hours of charging or more (?) after everything is shut down and car is parked the tender light should go off. Then open car door, light should immediately go back on. If so it's working.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:35 AM
deebster
Intermediate

Hey guys...

I have the same thing happen to my car.... changed the battery, but even so the PASM Failure is still there... The dealer went through 17 hours of diognostic testing and checked every wire only to say that i have a "Ghost" in the ECU programming that is causing this as my ECU is Flashed with Softronics programming..

What happened is when they would disconnect something close to the PASM and Sport mode like the dashboard the car works fine... but after we turn the car off and then back on, the failure come back on again...

any ideas??
Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 AM
deebster
Intermediate

Big O...

How long did you drive it for and was it like city driving or highway driving...???
Old 06-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Big.O
Track Day

Just drove it about 10 min. Turned it off. Waited 10 min. Turned it back on and the PASM was working again. No prob at all since then.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

See page 254 of your owners manual it address this and explains what to do.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:27 AM
deebster
Intermediate

Hey Guys... I drove mine for an Hour... and it a nice long highway ride... Still no luck... If want to hear something funny.... I sort of link many variables and came up with this rediculous conclusion..

The PASM failure started a few months ago.. I linked it to a weak battery so when I charged it a bit... it worked...

Then.. the failure was constant... When I took it to the dealer, they kept on telling me that the computer says their is a fualty wiring and it is coming from the center console of the car.. However, due to my ECU being modified, they blamed the ECU programming becuase the computer can't really do accurate reading of the faults..

Reminiscing over my problem, I linked back to the time that this started.. it was the same time a got the IPOD cradle that fits in the Cigarrete lighter (center Console).. In addition, many use this as a way to trickle feed the battery.... Funny enough... I jigged it a little bit yesterday, turned the car on... AND.... THE PASM AND SPORT MODE WORKED!!!!! Can you believe it!!??? and I did that when I was at the dealer!!! THey thought I was crazy!!!!! I told them that there is a shortage in the cigarret lighter that is linked to the battery and it is causing this Faulty... They even refused to test it!!! I talked to the maintenance manager and he said that we will test it on Monday! (Tommorrow)...

Could this be it or was it a mere coincidince.???????? will keep you posted!!

Quick Reply: PASM Failure wtih battery change