Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Turbo is new....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:32 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitely a wet sump Carrera engine, this is a sad day.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wet sump? Maybe they just wanted to save a little bit of weight. I know the windage in this engine, especially since it is direct injection now, isn't that big of a deal.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 08-10-2009 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Misspelled wet
Old 08-10-2009, 04:04 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody, but nobody in their right mind gives a damn that Porsche is changing to a "wet sump" engine.

The trick phrase above is "in their right mind."
Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 AM
RSA333
Racer

Faux centerlock-

"These wheels, with their center lock technology, are of course not likely to be used by your customer in endurance-type races. They will be attractive not necessarily to those who wish to race, but to customers who wish to evoke the look and feel of the Porsche racing heritage."

PDK (see http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com)

"PDK stands for Porsche Delight Killer. Sad but true: the German automaker’s engineered most of the fun out of it. Like ye olde Tiptronic, the PDK really likes to upshift. I started out normally from rest at an intersection. Before I reached the other side, PDK had shifted twice. By the time I reached 30 mph, I was in seventh; ... PDK behaves like a student project designed to extract maximum mpg from what used to be a high performance sports car."

"Even in the new turbo model, Porsche has put limitations on the amount of torque that can be handled by the PDK transmission...its limits are not much higher than the 500 ps offered in the new model."
Old 08-10-2009, 09:11 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Nobody, but nobody in their right mind gives a damn that Porsche is changing to a "wet sump" engine.

That is the conclusion of PAG Marketing, the machine assembled by WW.

However, there are some who have been around and in PAG engines long enough to have developed a well earned respect for the M64 lump, its longevity, its variants and its performance.

Of course most people neither care nor understand about a dry sump, especially those who own an "integrated dry sump" M96 derived engine, like 996/997 owners.

So, I think the use of the term "in their right mind" might be painting with a bit of a broad brush.

Again, go back to my posts a while back on this topic (when it was first discussed)...the PDK is viewed as a potential liability on the higher output variants, which is why its introduction was delayed and PDK data has been closely monitored and collected....and why they are publically stating the current limits of this version of the PDK.
Also, the M64 is being dropped primarily due to cost, nothing more, nothing less.

Of course, I don't expect anyone to listen nor believe any of this, since I am obviously not "in my right mind".
Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 AM
SchH III
Intermediate

My recent behavior places me in the "not in my right mind" category. Subsequent to the release of marketing information confirming the "integrated dry sump" engine used in the 2010 turbo, I stopped by my dealer to:
1) cancel my reserved build slot
2) request a refund of my deposit

In recent years, I have owned Carrera S (integrated dry sump), a Cayenne Turbo S, a 2007 997 Turbo Tip (after two weeks of ownership, my order was in the system for 2008 manual) and presently a 2008 Turbo. The 2008 will probably be my last Porsche.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:59 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Except of course Porsche themselves, as they still use the true dry sump in their race cars. When Porsche starts racing the wet sump then I'll believe the hype.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:08 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA333
Faux centerlock-

"These wheels, with their center lock technology, are of course not likely to be used by your customer in endurance-type races. They will be attractive not necessarily to those who wish to race, but to customers who wish to evoke the look and feel of the Porsche racing heritage."

PDK (see http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com)

"PDK stands for Porsche Delight Killer. Sad but true: the German automaker’s engineered most of the fun out of it. Like ye olde Tiptronic, the PDK really likes to upshift. I started out normally from rest at an intersection. Before I reached the other side, PDK had shifted twice. By the time I reached 30 mph, I was in seventh; ... PDK behaves like a student project designed to extract maximum mpg from what used to be a high performance sports car."

"Even in the new turbo model, Porsche has put limitations on the amount of torque that can be handled by the PDK transmission...its limits are not much higher than the 500 ps offered in the new model."
So, the turbo centerlocks are unlike the GT3's? If so, very, very sad.

Your acronym although funny, is sadly true to me. The only thing I would say is that I would consider PDK for the manual mode and its' ability to keep the turbos spooled between upshifts. as I am sure it's linked to the engine's software.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Wet sump? Maybe they just wanted to save a little bit of weight. I know the windage in this engine, especially since it is direct injection now, isn't that big of a deal.
Myself I don't give a hoot about the new wet sump engine, as I will be keeping my '07 for awhile. If ever I am ready to go to a newer model this new engine will have a lot of real life miles on it and either proven worthy or not.
BUT I have to ask you....how do you think direct injection has anything to do with "windage"? Oil starvation is the main issue at high tranverse loads on a wet sump engine "possibly" causing cavitation (loss of oil suction/pressure) in the oil pump circuit as all the oil is loaded up against the sides of the oil pan. The direct fuel injection has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Last edited by Swoody; 08-10-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:02 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Except of course Porsche themselves, as they still use the true dry sump in their race cars. When Porsche starts racing the wet sump then I'll believe the hype.
When "average" people who buy the turbo genuinely race them and suffer oil starvation I'll believe that they really need it too.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:42 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
They just released a center lock option a few months back which is simply a bolt on hub adapter, so it likely this is also being used on this car as well.
http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=RSDOM

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/29/p...for-the-stree/
Not a bolt-on
Completely different wheel hub to accommodate the CL wheel.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

the king is dead. that is all.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I would not track a wet sump with anything more than R compounds. If the buyers of the newest Turbo don't know what constitutes a real dry sump they don't deserve one. Perhaps this is the thought process at PAG.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
that steering wheel really does look like it's straight out of a mustang - remember when Porsche would design something well the first time, and leave it alone for 10 years before changing it? They're now doing what every other carmaker does, which is change the cars every year just for the sake of "newness" but with no real reason to do so.
Couldn't agree more with your thoughts on this, sadly.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Of course, it should be worthy of mentioning that you do own a 997 "integrated dry sump" vehicle...

Just sayin'...it's hard for anyone here to be impartial based on what is sitting in the garage.

Quick Reply: 2010 Turbo is new....