Sponsored by:

Stage I Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 AM
911dr
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stage I Upgrade?

I am researching a stage I (ECU, filter, exhaust) upgrade for the 997 turbo. What tuner is the best? By best I mena, smoothness, no peaks or flat spots in the power band. I am leaning towards Ruf but I've also read good things about Revo. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:46 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The 'best 'is probably Ruf, very oem like. Contact Hans at Ruf as they were running a special recently.
But, there are multiple other options that are probably as good, for a lot less cash at the stage 1 level. I know nothing about revo, good or bad. Farnbacher-Loles is a very high calibre shop (they do a lot of ALMS,GA , Rolex series work) that is semi local (CT) and can do everything you need. Check them out too.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dr
I am researching a stage I (ECU, filter, exhaust) upgrade for the 997 turbo. What tuner is the best? By best I mena, smoothness, no peaks or flat spots in the power band. I am leaning towards Ruf but I've also read good things about Revo. Thanks.
Stage I is just an exhaust. Stage II is exhaust + air filter + ECU remap.

My own personal opinion is that the top 3 tuners are Ruf, RS-Tuning (Cargraphic) and Manthey. Ruf has better customer services, RS-Tuning has better racing tuning expertise (from what I have been told by those in the know). Price wise, Ruf here in the UK is about £11k and CG about £7k - but with Ruf you do get an upgrade clutch and a 1 year warranty.

Here's my comparison of Ruf vs CG kits:

My CG kit makes lag a lot less and the Turbos themselves insanely smooth. Can't recommend it enough! Read more below:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...ion/page1.html
Old 04-15-2009, 12:14 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Ruf and Revo are at two opposite ends of the spectrum Dude, in terms of price, quality, everything. As Alex said the top integrated packages are Ruf and RS/CG . Farnbacher-Loles is good too. I like Ruf best but you won't go wrong with any of them. The Ruf is also very smooth with sustained power delivery, it's very OEM feeling no peakiness or too much boost. Plus you get the HD clutch which is mandatory with any of these power outputs. I give a strong endorsement for Ruf.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911dr
911dr,

We are local.

A.W.E. Tuning is located two hours south of NYC. Come drive our car.

We can do a simple Stg1 upgrade to 600hp or take you all the way to 750 hp.

Full service facility with dyno services available. Plus all of our exhaust systems are made on site.

Call or Email me.

888-565-2257
Mike@AWE-Tuning.com

Visit our web site.
http://awe-tuning.com/
Old 04-17-2009, 02:24 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know much about Mike and AWE other than they (AWE) are longtime Rennlist Sponsors and they
have a stellar rep amongst East coast guys.
But I DO know about Manthey. I had a Manthey 410 power kit on my first GT3 and everything was top
notch and of the very best quality. They are hard to get in the US but well worth it if you want to go through the trouble. Personally I would use Mike and AWE if I was going to out fit my car in the US and lived on the East coast. On the West coast I would use GMG racing or Sharkwerks in the Bay area.
If I lived close to Texas I would investigate RUF who also has a stellar rep amongst Porsche guys but
they always seem to be top dollar.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:27 AM
bbywu
Instructor

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I dont know much about Mike and AWE other than they (AWE) are longtime Rennlist Sponsors and they
But I DO know about Manthey. I had a Manthey 410 power kit on my first GT3 and everything was top
notch and of the very best quality. They are hard to get in the US but well worth it if you want to go through the trouble. Personally I would use Mike and AWE if I was going to out fit my car in the US and lived on the East coast. On the West coast I would use GMG racing or Sharkwerks in the Bay area.
If I lived close to Texas I would investigate RUF who also has a stellar rep amongst Porsche guys but
I believe Ruf AutoCenter is also a dealer for Manthey products...see their sister website at www.racperformance.com
Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

How about if you lived in the midwest? What options are there for those of us who live well away from the coasts?
Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

I happen to know a TON about Mike@AWE. I can tell ya this, he is a bad *** ****...

OG, thanks for the kind words.

A.W.E. Tuning quick facts:
Long time Rennlist sponsor
Funcarsonline.com sponsor (anyone remember that one?)
One of the first 6speed sponsors
Original sponsors of Audiworld.com, VWVortex.com, Audizine.com
Celebrating or 20th Anniversary in 2011!
Privately owned
23 full time employees
Occupying a 10,000 sq/ft facility just north of Philly
Global dealer network
Direct partners with some of the best in the business
Manufacturing on site (All Porsche exhausts made right here in the U.S.A.)

Allow me to preach a bit.

I have noticed a common thread amongst forum users, current clients, and potential new clients. With the string of recent tuners and shops going under, people are hesitant to spend because they are not sure if that company will be around for aftersale support. I can say this with complete confidence that we not going anywhere.

Business slowed in January and February, but things began to pick up again in March. Not a single employee has been laid off nor had to take a reduction in pay. All due to our President's wise spending and ALWAYS saving for the rainy day.

Most of our competitors we are finding or have known that they are funded by outside investors, venture capitalists, family members, or friends that want to play with cars. The glitz and glamour is somewhat more important then the bottom line. This can only get you in trouble when times are tough.

We are the opposite. We have never received any of those things and everything we have is a result of hard work and a solid business model.

So if you one the fence about using us a parts supplier, there is no need to worry. We are here to stay. I am coming up on 10 years with the company and Todd will be prying my cold dead hands away from this keyboard.

Thanks for reading...

Last edited by Mike/A.W.E.; 04-17-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
How about if you lived in the midwest? What options are there for those of us who live well away from the coasts?
Where are you specifically?

I have shops all over the U.S. that I can point you to.

Last edited by Mike/A.W.E.; 04-17-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
I would just ship it down to Ruf in Dallas.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:44 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Also Steve at Imagineauto in Missouri I think is a 996 TT EXPERT but may have some 997
expertise. He IS the Turbo guy for 996s.
And again you can use anyone Like Mikey at AWE for instance all over the US. We are lucky to
have all these guys in the US for us to use.
ViperBob is in Florida and was our California expert on our 993TTs.

Mike gave some good info on their stuff to above in a his repsonce. I will tell you this
EVERY pic I have seen of AWEs stuff in the TT forums and the GT3 forums have been
of TOP NOTCH quality. I would have no problem using them and indeed when I finally
get my 911 back I may be using AWE for some hop ups.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:51 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

IA is out of business - not sure where Steven is.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:31 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
IA is out of business - not sure where Steven is.
Really?! That explains it. Quick story (sorry to hijack). Back in Dec. or so there was a thread on 6speed about the FVD steering wheel. Stephen came on and said he would try to get a GB going. After a few days he said he couldn't make it happen.

He contacted me and said he could still order the wheel for me. So, trying to support someone in the community (even if it cost a few bucks more) I gave him the order (and sent a pic of the wheel I wanted). After a month or so, I got the wheel but it was the wrong one. I e-mailed him back and he responded very quickly and said he would take care of it. After another month or so I got tired of waiting and decided to just keep the wheel that shipped.

I e-mailed him and asked if he could credit back my card the $300 or so that was due to me as it was cheaper than what I ordered. He always responded right away and said he was taking care of it.

I probably e-mailed him 4-5 times and always got the same reply. Last e-mail went unasswered - now I know why.

I guess he needed the $300 more than I did. Oh well.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:35 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Chris you can dispute your cc charge and either get the whole thing credited or the difference.

Quick Reply: Stage I Upgrade?