Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new 3.8 direct injection turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 08:07 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except who the hell cares if the cylinder linings can be unbolted and replaced? This is important for the average P-car owner? Really? In what way?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Except who the hell cares if the cylinder linings can be unbolted and replaced? This is important for the average P-car owner? Really? In what way?
Its important if you're tracking and therefore rebuilding your engine genius. Do you think the price on some liners and a whole engine block are roughly the same? What about every second dude who buys a 500hp car and wants to bore it out and modify it to a 900hp monster.... That ain't me, but its a lot of other guys out there.... Yeh, your average Porsche owners who are blowing big bucks at tune shops...

What about in 5 years time if you damage a cylinder lining and Porsche are no longer shelling out the big bucks for the repair? It would be a whole easier to slide in a new Nikasil liner as opposed to getting you whole block honed and trying to have a cylinder coating (aka Alusil in new motors) applied. May not mean much to those keeping the car for 3 years but it will to those for whom it's a keeper...

Last edited by 911rox; 04-03-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 'new average Porsche owner', according to the latest demographic research by PAG / PCNA Marketing, wouldn't know a dry sump if it fell on their foot.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:25 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by 911rox
Its important if you're tracking and therefore rebuilding your engine genius. Do you think the price on some liners and a whole engine block are roughly the same? What about every second dude who buys a 500hp car and wants to bore it out and modify it to a 900hp monster.... That ain't me, but its a lot of other guys out there.... Yeh, your average Porsche owners who are blowing big bucks at tune shops...

What about in 5 years time if you damage a cylinder lining and Porsche are no longer shelling out the big bucks for the repair? It would be a whole easier to slide in a new Nikasil liner as opposed to getting you whole block honed and trying to have a cylinder coating (aka Alusil in new motors) applied. May not mean much to those keeping the car for 3 years but it will to those for whom it's a keeper...

Maybe Porsche understands the demographics of its customers better than you do.

I'll bet that only a tiny fraction of turbos are either tracked or modded. And I'll bet most are leased to boot.

How many people here are worried about oil starvation in their p-car while driving to work or the grocery store?

How many people eventually have to replace the cylinder lining on their cars?

I would much rather have the far simpler engine with fewer moving parts to go wrong.

What a total crock this line of argument is.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltc
The 'new average Porsche owner', according to the latest demographic research by PAG / PCNA Marketing, wouldn't know a dry sump if it fell on their foot.

Thank you!

That was exactly my point.

You posted your response while I was still composing mine to 911rox above.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

I'll bet that only a tiny fraction of turbos are either tracked or modded. And I'll bet most are leased to boot.

How many people here are worried about oil starvation in their p-car while driving to work or the grocery store?

How many people eventually have to replace the cylinder lining on their cars?

I would much rather have the far simpler engine with fewer moving parts to go wrong.

What a total crock this line of argument is.
You asked for examples, you got examples ... I know all the arguments about demographics and agree also... Which is exactly why Porsche make such a killing... Its because ignorant fools gladly pay whatever is asked for just to have these cars.

The cost of the GT1 motor is almost 3x that of the 9A1 motor (or the price of standard Carreras would have jumped- previous crate m97- $12k, crate GT1- $45k+). Because of their knowledge of the people buying this car, they will gladly charge the currect MSRP plus a little extra because people will foolishly pay more for less. You weren't hoping to save $30k were you? They will be saving at least that and the rest per unit!

You'll get fewer bits in your motor which will make you happy and they will get a margin increase of 15-20% . ENJOY !!!

If I don't benefit from the savings in cost, I'd rather take the one with the proven unit that gives me greatest options for further development and modification... Thats all I'm saying...

Last edited by 911rox; 04-03-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:42 AM
bbywu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox

Very well said.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:45 AM
bbywu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And for those of us who actually use the car for its designed purpose of daily driving and track use? I think we care a lot.

If you intended to buy a Porsche to go to the grocery store, then the Targa and the 9A1 engine is just fine for your purposes.

But those who intend to drive a high performance vehicle for the purposes that it was designed to do should definately be worried that its replacement is UNTESTED.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:17 AM
boolala
Race Car

How about if we just wait to see what this engine is capable of doing before we bash it. No?
Old 04-04-2009, 03:04 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

How about if we just wait to see what this engine is capable of doing before we bash it. No?
Sure, but who's gonna shell out the cash for $30k less car to find out.... The ignorant will, I certainly am not. Was gonna pass up on a 997.2 gt3 if it didn't get the GT1 motor for these very reasons... Would prefer to buy a 997.1 gt3 with a proven power plant and RMS issues rather than spend this sort of money finding out! When Porssche prove it on the track, I will consider it without hesitation.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:33 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bbywu
Very well said.
Thanx bbywu
Old 04-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has Porsche said what the future of the GT1 is?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Given the 20 year history of the M64/GT1 and his success how long should you wait to declare the new engine a success?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Land Jet
The M64/GT1 is going to go the way of wooden floorboards I'm afraid.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:42 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Nothing is for certain but in a recent podcast of an interview with the chief designer for the GT cars in Driver Republic, he suggested that the GT1 would be around for probably another model release.
Link below,

http://www.drivers-republic.com/audi...0eeba268ca9e9c

Quick Reply: The new 3.8 direct injection turbo