Sponsored by:

Did a tire plug repair at home

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts
Default Did a tire plug repair at home

I was 40 miles from home when I spotted the culprit in the right rear PS2 with 1200 miles on it

I knew about punctures near the sidewall, and that a proper repair involves removing the tire from the wheel, then plug and patch

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=77&

I lost no air getting home, but went down to about 25 psi when I pulled the screw out

I find the goop bottle suspect

and needed some practice in case this happens hundreds of miles from anywhere, so I went for

You lube the reamer

When you feel the tip touch the steel belt, you have gone far enough. The instructions don't say this, just common sense.
Then you insert the plug, with 1/3 on one side of the plug tool, 2/3 on the other.
I may have not reamed enough, because this part took some extra leverage.

After you pull it out, you clip off the protruding piece of plug

You all know where the compressor is

and where to plug it in. Not the 12V power source, or you will blow a fuse.

Fill 'er up

But don't trust the gauge unless it says "Drückmessgerat" and "Made in Germany".

Test drive to verify pressures are holding

So what's your opinion?

1. Drive on another 10K miles or so (street only), till at least both rears are worn, then replace both rears
2. Go to a tire shop and get a proper plug and patch from the inside, then drive on 10K miles
3. Go buy another PS2 and sleep well at night.

Last edited by Terry Adams; 08-24-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd watch it for a few hundred miles and see. I've plugged many tires, but never on the Porsche. Once a z-rated tire is plugged, it is no longer rated. But it could hold. If you're planning some 'fun' drives soon, or a even a DE, tire replacement is needed. Otherwise, just be prepared if that beast lets go.

I'd prob replace, but that's one man's opinion.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
I'd watch it for a few hundred miles and see. I've plugged many tires, but never on the Porsche. Once a z-rated tire is plugged, it is no longer rated. But it could hold. If you're planning some 'fun' drives soon, or a even a DE, tire replacement is needed. Otherwise, just be prepared if that beast lets go.

I'd prob replace, but that's one man's opinion.
I have done AXs and DEs with a number of self plugged z-rated tires, I have even run the TX mile with a plugged tire on the TT and it held fine during several near 180mph runs, not to mention I drove on it to TX and back from SD.
If the side wall is not involved you should be fine and I would not replace the tire especially if still new.
just my opinion.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:09 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

#2, should be fine if you patch it. but part of the security of the patch is that the inside of the tyre is inspected and sealed.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:49 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job Terry! I wouldn't worry about unless you plan some track use, then I would just have it patched from the inside and go with it. Question, on the reamer do you go all the way thru the steel belt or just until you hit it?
Old 08-24-2008, 02:17 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Question, on the reamer do you go all the way thru the steel belt or just until you hit it?
Just till I hit it. Easy to tell when you make the last 1/8 turn, you can feel the tip begin to grind on the steel.

This begs the question, however: when you plug from the inside, you must have to go through the steel belt first. So when plugging from the outside, why not keep reaming a bit when you hit steel?
Old 08-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Terry, just had a puncture in my right rear PS2 about a half inch from the shoulder. I took it to the PCA-friendly local tire dealer and he said they patch them all the time and that it should be no problem. They patched it and the next weekend I did a 3 day DE. No problems.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:36 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've done that a bunch, don't worry about it.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:11 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

I really need to get one of these kits and practice on an old tire in my garage. Nah, I'm sure I'll just wait until I get a flat out in the middle of nowhere and screw myself and then kick myself in the ***.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

I have plugged a bunch of tires. It holds fine till you can have it fixed properly. I would have it plug patched from the inside. If I were going to track the car or run it at very high speed then I would replace the tire. 135K and your butt are on the line why skimp over a few hundred dollars? Sometimes a steel belt will cut a plug.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 371 Posts

This one couldn't be plugged!
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Did a tire plug repair at home