front license plate dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:05 PM
jonoz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front license plate dilemma

hello from canada
my current problem is how to satisfy the local police as a front plate is the law...a fine and demerits is a possibility.
I really don't want to drill holes in the front....is there some sort of plate attachment to the front grill available?
thanks
2450km and counting.....
j
Old 05-29-2008, 11:20 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a company that makes a plate mount which screws into the tow hook threads.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:30 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

That tow hook think looks like crap IMO. The dealer drilled holes for mine, no big deal but if I were doing it again I would figure some other way. One could easily fab up a bracket to bolt from under the center vent for example.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

I agree it's ugly. I put one on my 993 after I got a no plate ticket.
http://www.moweraxle.com/
The only thing it has going for it is, industrial strength construction. I would rather have the ticket than put it on the TT.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

I have one of them things. I just assemble it, then place it on the passenger side floor of the car. If I get pulled over, I act confused and then apologize for not putting it on.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:33 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140
I have one of them things. I just assemble it, then place it on the passenger side floor of the car. If I get pulled over, I act confused and then apologize for not putting it on.
Ding ding ding! Say you took it off to wash the car and must've forgotten to put it back on. Throw it on the front, drive around the corner, and take it back off.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:14 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

I just got my first ticket for no front plate in Houston since 1990. I was pulled over in rush hour traffic for that only. I called the sub station and chewed out the watch sergeant for about half an hour about what a complete waste of resources this was. The substation is in an area chock full of uninsured motorists, unlicensed non-citizen drivers, unregistered vehicles. I told him it was inexcusable to pick off a motorist for that alone and issue a citation - wasting 30-45 minutes of a police unit's time when resources are so thin nowadays. The sergeant admitted the officer was on a "productivity program" (quota) and was on traffic overtime to achieve it. He apologized profusely throughout the conversation and agreed it was a waste of tax money, his officers' hours, court time, etc.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

I never had any success with the "Don't you have anything better to do" argument, but good for you to point it out to them anyway.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:15 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Get the one that mounts low..or photo copy and laminate and use some two side tape..lol
Old 05-30-2008, 02:57 PM
kcl
Instructor

If they drill holes, you can always get bumper plugs to cover them whenever you don't feel like driving with the plates on.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:05 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/IMG_8591.jpg

inventivaconcepts.com look at the 993...

http://inventivaconcepts.com/gallery.html
Old 06-02-2008, 02:07 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eclou
I just got my first ticket for no front plate in Houston since 1990. I was pulled over in rush hour traffic for that only. I called the sub station and chewed out the watch sergeant for about half an hour about what a complete waste of resources this was. The substation is in an area chock full of uninsured motorists, unlicensed non-citizen drivers, unregistered vehicles. I told him it was inexcusable to pick off a motorist for that alone and issue a citation - wasting 30-45 minutes of a police unit's time when resources are so thin nowadays. The sergeant admitted the officer was on a "productivity program" (quota) and was on traffic overtime to achieve it. He apologized profusely throughout the conversation and agreed it was a waste of tax money, his officers' hours, court time, etc.

Kudos. As a taxpayer you almost have an obligation to point this out to the sergeant.

I wonder if the officer will show for the court case...
Old 06-02-2008, 12:13 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Just reinforces my decision to move to sunny Florida.

The first thing I did when moving here was to get bumper plugs for the black cab.

The turbo had no holes in the front so I guess the dealers in front tag states do their own prep for the plates.

Its great not having that dumb tag in front.

Cabman
Old 06-02-2008, 12:55 PM
TexasHedge
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by eclou
I have not been ticketed in houston, but i got pulled over in Bastrop (was headed to austin) for that reason only. The cop asked if I knew why he pulled me over ( I wanted to quote Jim Carey from Liar Liar, and tell him "how long have you been following me?") but instead, I said "no" . When he told the me the reason, I said you are kidding, right?.....guess that was the wrong answer, he gave me a ticket.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I got pulled over coming back form Hondo Texas last month by a Texas by a State Trooper. His comment was “ I often pull over you boys in your fancy cars that don’t like running front plates” I asked him why some states didn’t require them, and he said “were smarter in Texas and those other states want to save money. Here in Texas we want to make sure we can ID a perp in the car so we want to see it coming and going”….I stopped short of pointing out if they were chasing a car they couldn’t see the front plate any way!!!! He just gave me a warning and told me to put the front plate on. Funny thing is I cant seem to find the drill bit at the moment!
For you Texans see below.

We have another opportunity to rid ourselves of this inconvenient and unsightly requirement for corvettes, F-bodies and other like-minded sport cars and vehicles next spring. We got close in the 2005 legislative session. The House sent a bill over to the Senate containing this and other provisions. The Senate subcommittee deleted this provision without comment from the bill they approved. Houston area Senator Kyle Janek was on that committee but I see he is retiring from the Senate. Copy and paste the address below into your web browser to sign the online petition. Over 18,000 have signed so far.

http://www.petitiononline.com/txplate/petition.html

Quick Reply: front license plate dilemma