Wheel spacers, improve handling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whyb2nd
Is 15mm too much up front
Along the same lines, a question from a space newbie: Not that I would want to space that far, but how far can you actually go without risking that the tire hits the top part of the fender when you run through a rough spot in the road? (I would think that this becomes even more significant if you lower your car.)

(On a completely different note: Being a waiter again totally sucks. I'm experiencing heavy withdrawal symptoms - probably should not have sold my 997 already. Let this be a warning, children.)

Last edited by Soulteacher; 09-04-2007 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:16 AM
haudimal
Track Day

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Along the same lines, a question from a space newbie: Not that I would want to space that far, but how far can you actually go without risking that the tire hits the top part of the fender when you run through a rough spot in the road? (I would think that this becomes even more significant if you lower your car.)

(On a completely different note: Being a waiter again totally sucks. I'm experiencing heavy withdrawal symptoms - probably should not have sold my 997 already. Let this be a warning, children.)
My first apprehension was, that 15mm are too much, but because it´s the only legal "easy fitting" solution i decided to check it out and there are none of the above mentioned probs at all
I think that´s one advantage of the restrictive germans - if it is allowed it is sufficiently tested before and you can be shure, that there are no probs in any way;-))

I agree: Being a waiter totally sucks. I went to my dealer at the end of march and told him i want it as fast as possible. He promised me delivery in June, when i am not taking much parts from the exklusive list -> I could pick it up at the second week of july with license plate on and ready to start

On the other hand, right now i´m missing some fancy interior stuff, but waiting 6 months+ would have killed me.

I will provide you with some better pics to get a better impression of the apperance with the discs - there are a some views, where they are really a big advantage compared to the factory style.

Till then an other one:
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by haudimal
Till then an other one:
Thanks! Can't wait to see more! You are right: If our good old German TÜV lets us get away with it, it's probably safe.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:48 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I originally had a set of GT3 on my rears. Since the GT3 is a narrowbody model, I had to use 18mm spacers initially. The Turbo felt a bit unsettling and floaty around sweeping/uneven curves. I didn't feel confident driving the Turbo at all but once I had those swapped out to the correct GT3 RS rears then there was a MASSIVE improvement in overall feel. So, as a result, I'm not sure if I'd recommend anything larger than 7mm.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:40 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

I haven't heard of any suspension issues with 18mm spacers on stockers in the rear yet, if your out there chime in. The present issue is clearence and width for the front.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers, improve handling?