Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers, improve handling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:45 PM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacers, improve handling?

I know they would look good pushing the wheels out another 10mm or so but would it increase handling.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 AM
darmawaa
Advanced

A wider track means more traction, so if you add spacer on the rear wheels your car would be more understeer, if you put on front, more oversteer. Thats why GT3RS has more rear traction than GT3 with the same tyre. For a TT, acceptable spacer about 10mm rear, 5mm front.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 597 Posts

better than spacers would be to get wheels with a wider(smaller) offset. My GP7's give me the equivalent of an 8mm spacer front and 12mm spacer in the rear. Cooperlee has run 7mm front and 15mm rear H&R spacers for awhile now.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:16 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eclou
Cooperlee has run 7mm front and 15mm rear H&R spacers for awhile now.
That seems high, I'll need to do some research.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:54 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the same setup from H&R (7mm front, 15mm rear) with no issues. Car feels a bit more stable with crisper steering but some of that has to do with adding a bit more "toe" to the alignment in the rear and installing a front strut brace. New H & R springs to follow shortly ( about an inch and 1/2 drop). No engine mods and stock exhaust (for now). After struggling with a bad alignment from the factory and lowering tire air pressures to 33psi front, 39psi rear (cold) my car finally feels the way it should have right from the start.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:13 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

I run the 7mm in front and 15mm in the rear as well with the H&R Springs. 25mm drop and it is great. Same air pressure setup as Gradyex. Hmm wonder why that would be

What's Erm.

You will appreciate the spacers if you are sticking with Stock Wheels.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=93019

Pictures of my car with the spacers and lowered. I wish they made 10mm spacers for the fronts from H&R.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:59 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gradyex
I run the same setup from H&R (7mm front, 15mm rear) with no issues. Car feels a bit more stable with crisper steering but some of that has to do with adding a bit more "toe" to the alignment in the rear and installing a front strut brace. New H & R springs to follow shortly ( about an inch and 1/2 drop). No engine mods and stock exhaust (for now). After struggling with a bad alignment from the factory and lowering tire air pressures to 33psi front, 39psi rear (cold) my car finally feels the way it should have right from the start.
I just finished break in a week ago and haven't had alot of opportunities with work and such to stretch it's legs. Yesterday and today I took the car to an area I could push it hard, straights and curves. What was wierd going into a 40 degree turn at full boost was a feel of too much negitive camber or toe issues. The front felt as if it was rolling on the out side edge of the tires, it was only for 3-4 seconds but I felt like I lost control of the front end a bit. I'll have to try again, I may need the spacers and alignment sooner then I thought.............Thanks.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:09 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes its definitly a car to drive with respect. i would just check the usual normal things that could be the obvious culprit like tire pressures, alignment (Porsche will spring for it under 2K miles). After that spacers seemed to help a bit (and its a relatively cheap mod easily removed). As soon as Alpines buddy gets back to me I already have a mechanic lined up to do the H&R springs so I can drop the car too. That should be the best mod for improving handling. The front strut brace didn't hurt either. I plan to stop right there (listening Alpine)? LOL later on this year (its almost booked up completely) I plan to do the 2 day Porsche driving experience. Here in SF CA, I found a nice little 1/4 mile side street leading to a large area that dead ends onto a vista point or lookout point (by the cliff house). When no one is around you can practice figure 8's , donuts, etc and just let loose without worry unless the police cruise in but they usually just tell you to get lost. Candelstick park (Monster Park) is a Porsche club favorite for setting up auto cross events with cones. Anyhow my point is take some time to learn this beast and what makes it tick. That won't solve any of these anamolies with the car but it will keep you from passing the point where the computer takes over. I must say its fun as hell to drive but I am comming from a 997S which had a different feel to it (more direct and linear).
Old 08-17-2007, 12:52 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Gradyex - Hey don't pick on me buddy! I have not tried to get you to ECU upgrade it - YET! Eric(springs) will call you today if he hasn't already. Just bug him again he is a busy fella.

why2nd - is that the first time you have pushed it when you felt it being a little out of control? It gets better over time with confidence and feel.. Dial it in just right with the right air pressure and alignment specs and you will want every corner that you can get your hands on.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
why2nd - is that the first time you have pushed it when you felt it being a little out of control? It gets better over time with confidence and feel.. Dial it in just right with the right air pressure and alignment specs and you will want every corner that you can get your hands on.

Just broke it in at that time of post and yes, first time. Since that post I dropped tire pressure to 33 cold and that sensation has all but gone away. I'm still going to do an alignment asap...
Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 AM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Good news glad the pressure helped some. Let us know if you get spacers or PM me if you need my source. He is in Cali. Hope you get it dialed in exactly the way you like it.

Have fun!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:15 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Good news glad the pressure helped some. Let us know if you get spacers or PM me if you need my source. He is in Cali. Hope you get it dialed in exactly the way you like it.

Have fun!
Thanks bro, I'll be in touch.........
Old 09-03-2007, 06:07 PM
haudimal
Track Day

Hi,

i have 15mm front and 18mm back from H&R (each side). It´s the only combination in germany with an ABE, which is very important in porscheland - otherwise you would have go to the public authority to check it...... or loosing insurance

Anyway, the car feels pretty the same and i like the look;-))
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by haudimal
i have 15mm front and 18mm back from H&R (each side).
Welcome to Rennlist! Looks great! We definitely need more pictures!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:52 PM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Is 15mm too much up front, I don't want to throw road grime and pebbles on the hips. The look though is excellent.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers, improve handling?