Sponsored by:

spacer for rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:55 PM
darmawaa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spacer for rear wheel

What thickness of spacer for rear wheel 997TT do you suggest? 5 or 7mm?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:39 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

H&R 15mm(rear) and 7mm(front) H&R doesn't have anything inbetween the 7mm and 14mm.

I run them now and they are great. Gives the car a better stance and look. I also lowered my car on H&R springs and its more compliant.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:40 PM
golfguy
Racer

You will be fine with the 15mm spacers and stock camber.

I'm using gp7 wheels which are equivalent to using 13mm spacers and there is still clearance. Eclou has the older offset gp7 wheels which are equivalent to running 17mm spacers.

Btw, you should get the 7mm spacers for the front as well.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:29 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by darmawaa
What thickness of spacer for rear wheel 997TT do you suggest? 5 or 7mm?
I would not use any spacer bigger than 5 mm that is not hubcentric with its own lip for the wheel to sit on. The smallest hubcentric spacers with own hub lips are 14mm and they fit nice in the rear. For the front, the car already has an aggressive offset and 5 mm should be plenty if at all.

if you use a 7mm flat spacer for the rear, your wheel would be sitting on half of the hub space it is supposed to sit on and I don't think that's safe.
I would do 14 and 5.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:58 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took Alpine's advise (15mm rear and 7mm front) and found the steering a bit "crisper" + it looks nice having the rubber fill the wheel wells pretty much flush with the body. Now my car needs to be lowered except I have a problem already scrapping my driveway. i also installed a strut brace in the front and it seems to help firm up the front end (I have only had it on one day). Very easy to install using your factory bolts.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:56 AM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Gradyex - Don't take my advise. I will get you in trouble.

Did you see the pictures I posted on the 6speed of the car lowered with the spacers? I know you want to do it now.

I wish I could run 10mm in the fronts. I could make some but I just don't trust anyone to make them. So I will stick with H&R for now. I heard Rogue Engineering has 10mm but I am okay with 7mm for now since my 20" rims should hit sometime in two weeks.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:30 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Gradyex- All 996/7s already have a factory installed front strut brace. It's the same exact brace used on the Cup cars. So I don't think there is much to gain with an aftermarket unit.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:25 PM
gradyex
Racer

Alpine_997, look what you started! Explain to me how I get out of my driveway and down she goes. lol! Now my car looks silly with the stock height. I will have to speak with my neighbor and get permission to drive down the sidewalk about 50 feet and use his. I don't think he would mind.

TTGasman, if you look at the second to last picture you can see where the cross angle strut braces are from the factory. The one shooting parallel to the battery is the aftermarket one and bolts directly on to the top of both front struts adding a little more stiffness. I think it helped but this is all subjective here and its not a must have add on (see what Alpine_997 created)? Its downhill from here.................... Of course I'm kidding Alpine, and my car is definitely better with just a few simple mods. Maybe some springs and I should be done. High speed stability around "sweepers" feels better but there is room for a bit more improvement. Stay tuned.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 PM
darmawaa
Advanced

The spoiler lip (unpainted black plastic) is flexible and cheap to replace. Go slam your TT, ride height is still OK with 20-30mm lowering kit. The only problem is the long nose TT if you go up from basement. Hope they don't make the nose so long, like air cooled 911 (no radiator).
Old 08-06-2007, 02:41 PM
gradyex
Racer

Your right and the thing is already wiped out so whats the difference? I don't want to drop it more than an inch to an inch and a half max. I might have to have a talk with Alex in Fremont.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:44 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

Gradyex - I know I started it but you have to end it!! Did you look at my pictures and the stance? Thanks for the no comments posted on that post BUD!!

Lower the damn thing would ya! Sheesh...

Sweepers? I want you to break traction and slide that baby around the corner!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:13 AM
gradyex
Racer

Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Gradyex - I know I started it but you have to end it!! Did you look at my pictures and the stance? Thanks for the no comments posted on that post BUD!!

Lower the damn thing would ya! Sheesh...

Sweepers? I want you to break traction and slide that baby around the corner!

Comments and photos posted sir..........ok it took me awhile?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:49 AM
kcl
Instructor

gradyex are you planning on adding springs to the mod?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:57 AM
gradyex
Racer

Originally Posted by kcl
gradyex are you planning on adding springs to the mod?
Yes they should be delivered by Friday (H&R brand). I'm putting a lot of faith in the Alpine man so will see. I already have someone lined up for the install in about 2 weeks (actually works for Porsche). I can see my front valance after a few weeks looking like (grated cheese). I am going for it because I expect excellent results. The car could really use a small drop IMO, it sits too high especially with the spacers installed. Sway bars (adjustable) might be the next move but I'll take it one at a time. Before i even think of adding HP I want the car to handle as close to a Gt3 as possible (the turbos weight is the big obstacle here and AWD can never feel like RWD so I do the best I can). So far so good and will report back after each one (hear that Alpine man)!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have gone with the Techart (Eibach) springs since the H&R springs are actually "cut" a bit too short resulting in a sort of "bouncy" ride....let us know how your experiences go though.

Quick Reply: spacer for rear wheel