Sponsored by:

Placed order: Carmona Red Metalic, Stone Gray

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts
Default Placed order: Carmona Red Metalic, Stone Gray

I had given up on Carmona Red Metalic when the salesman told me a week ago that it was discontinued. Took my wife along today for the final selection and order, and she spotted a used Cayman on the lot in CRM. I have to add paint to sample, of course, but my heart jumped out of my chest when I saw it. Added a tasteful amount of CF, leather, PCCB and other "safety" options. September delivery unless the paint to sample adds a lot of time. I am a very happy camper.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:41 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds great don't forget the pics. Now the hard part....waiting.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:19 PM

Congrats! There a guy on the 997 forum that has a C-Red cab but with sand and it looks amazing.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:53 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like the color but personally would never pay them extra to paint the car a standard color that they arbitrarily discontinued and now made available only as "paint to sample" extra extra cost option. Once you are going to pay the premium and have to deal with the possible delivery delay, the field is wide open for an entire host of colors. Whatever you chose the Stone Grey is a dynamite color for the interior since Porsche sprinkles all kinds of grey plastic around inside no matter what color you chose. But that's another pet peave of mine for another day. All of this is just my $.25 (price adjusted for inflation)
Old 06-01-2007, 01:26 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sharptt
I actually like the color but personally would never pay them extra to paint the car a standard color that they arbitrarily discontinued and now made available only as "paint to sample" extra extra cost option. Once you are going to pay the premium and have to deal with the possible delivery delay, the field is wide open for an entire host of colors. Whatever you chose the Stone Grey is a dynamite color for the interior since Porsche sprinkles all kinds of grey plastic around inside no matter what color you chose. But that's another pet peave of mine for another day. All of this is just my $.25 (price adjusted for inflation)
Looking on the "Configurator", Carmona is absent from all models for '08. This confirms the salesman's story of having to empty the paint vats and purge the lines so they can do one car. Otherwise they could slip a Carmona Red TT in with the Caymans and Boxsters.
I understand your not being happy with the plastic bits, but if they priced the performance TT like the F430 it would have to be twice the price. I am happy with the "compromise" I made.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
This confirms the salesman's story of having to empty the paint vats and purge the lines so they can do one car.
I'll call BS on that.

On the production line, they paint from one color to another often. They purge the lines all the time. Has nothing to do with 'one car, one color'....it's all about the mighty buckaroo.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 06-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

I somewhat agree, Eric, but it does take time to purge the lines. They are making big bucks on all the options. For example,
seat belts in Speed Yellow $540
when you can get them for
$169.95 from aftermarket vendor
Old 06-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking on the "Configurator", Carmona is absent from all models for '08. This confirms the salesman's story of having to empty the paint vats and purge the lines so they can do one car. Otherwise they could slip a Carmona Red TT in with the Caymans and Boxsters.
I understand your not being happy with the plastic bits, but if they priced the performance TT like the F430 it would have to be twice the price. I am happy with the "compromise" I made.
I agree the 997tt is a relative bargain in the exotic market. No problem there. I'm not really complaining about the plastic or the quality of the interior either, just that even if you get a beige or terracotta (sp?) interior you get assorted grey and silver plastics which to my eye just don't blend with certain colors. However, it does go very nicely with the Stone Grey. Also I definitely agree with your decision to add lots of CF which IMHO looks super. If Carmona Red turns you on, go for it. At least you won't see yourself coming and going at every corner and will be very rare in a 997tt. I'm just saying I hate to pay extra extra for a color that used to be available but Porsche dropped because few cars were ordered in that color. Personally if I was going to go "paint to sample" I'd pick something never available rather than just "not available in '08". Anyway, great choice and lot's of luck
Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

I see what you mean about picking something else. I got so attached to Arena Red the last 9+ years, and I did not want to stretch out the delivery while they go try to mix something more exotic.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on a long and excruciating wait! Eric the shipping schedule master will be your new best friend.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:52 PM
cannga
Instructor

Terry,

Did your dealer tell you Carmona Red likely will be replaced by Ruby Red? (Go to Porsche Configurator-United Kingdom http://www.porsche.com/uk/ , go to "Build Your Porsche," and look under Turbo Convertible.) Looks like Ruby will be brighter than Carmona, but I (of course) have never seen a real picture.

I am NOT entirely sure, but do recall reading somewhere that Ruby Red will be offered on the 2008 Turbo Coupe in the US as well.

If it's close enough to Arena, would probably save you a lot of time and money to pick it over Carmona.

And I guess sand beige or natural brown leather is not one of the choices of your CEO ? I think they look great with metallic red.

I see what you mean about picking something else. I got so attached to Arena Red the last 9+ years, and I did not want to stretch out the delivery while they go try to mix something more exotic.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

cannga, the dealer told me about Ruby Red. Now that I see it on the UK configurator, it confirms what he said, that it is very bright. I wonder why they have it only on the Cab, not the Coupe. I am very happy with the Carmona, especially because it is close to my Arena Red 993, and I have seen it in person on the Cayman at the dealer.

Likewise with the Stone Gray leather, even nicer than my Classic Gray, although my wife tried briefly to steer me to a tan or brown.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

terry, congrats.
october delivery, that's pretty quick for a custom order car.
let's get together when the TT arrives.
we should revive the BAR with "mature" drivers.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:32 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 46 Likes on 9 Posts

Mooty I am going to be staying at Terrys house when he gets the TT so we can do a BAR and a CAR
(Central area run)Run- He is supposed to be building me a guest room and a guest garage spot for my GT3 -well have to see- but even if I have to sleeping bag it I am going to be there when he gets it. Its the least I can do-he came down to the casa de the fruit cakes when I picked up mine from gary.
That would make quite a pic dont you think? A carmona Red TT a Pumpkin RS and a GT silver GT3!!
Old 06-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

The coupe on the UK configurator hasn't been updated with MY08 specs yet. If it had then there would be an aerokit options for starters (I have seen the Porsche 'internal' MY08 conf a couple of weeks ago)

Yes, I think Ruby red looks darker than Guards Red but lighter than Carmona Red. It's actually an old colour. If you do a google search you can find some old examples.

I would post some links that I have found but this site is blocking me from doing so as it says I need a min number of posts first

Quick Reply: Placed order: Carmona Red Metalic, Stone Gray