Sponsored by:

Do Radar Detectors Really Work for you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:01 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IIRC the original question was "Do Radar Detectors Really Work For You?" The simple answer is yes they do. Now you can get into which are better, which are prettier, etc. and the debate will continue, as it has, forever. Each chooses for him/herself for different reasons like the way it looks, the way it works, how sensitive it is, much it costs. All factors to consider.

I wanted the best, most sensitive, with arrows telling me the direction of the source and the number or sources. Looks were never a factor. Cost was not a factor. A V1's increased sensitivity and the arrows have a better chance of saving me a ticket which will likely cost more than the V1. It has paid for itself many times over.

City driving is the least efficient use of these devices. Out on the highway or on a twisting mountain road, it is nice to know what is up ahead, around the next bend or coming up from behind. These are the circumstances that bring out the best in these devices. If you only drive 15 minutes to work you should turn it off or not buy one in the first place.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:38 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

When your humming down the highway in a Porsche you are an instant target for Police radar. They will hit you with radar no matter what because you are in a fast sports car that they love to nail. I would seriously consider a K40 or other device to prevent tickets.

Last edited by MHC2S; 04-03-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:50 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
When your humming down the highway in a Porsche you are an instant target for Police radar. They will hit you with radar no matter what because you are in a fast sports car they they love to nail. I would seriously consider a K40 or other device to prevent tickets.
Absolutely. Here is a blog entry I wrote last year about one morning's commute into work: Fun with the State Patrol (aka how to cook a burrito on your dash)

And again more recently (actually this happens a lot so I don't write about it unless it's a rather extreme case of RADAR/LIDAR use):
Friday WSP cat and mouse

Quick Reply: Do Radar Detectors Really Work for you?