GIAC/A.W.E. ecu tuning - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts
Default GIAC/A.W.E. ecu tuning - first impressions

I just got back from the Detroit Auto Show (superb BTW) to find a magical box from UPS on my doorstep. Inside the box lay a mystery - a promise of excitement, a promise of fun that may or may not be realized.

Now at 2200 miles, the hope of the passage of factory boost restriction being gone has passed. There was no boost unlimitation being unleashed at 2000 miles. Porsche lied. There is no boost and torque plateau starting at 1950 rpm. There is no 18psi boost to be found, ever! Boost never hit until 3k rpms, no matter what gear. Why would they promise us that and deliver nothing even close?

I opened the box to find my ECU. Well packaged, and re-install was a snap. The weather outside was dreadful - 35F and freezing rain. I started up the car half expecting error messages. There were none. The startup idle was smooth, no burps, no hiccups, no surges. I let it run for 10 minutes at idle, blipping the throttle from time to time. No changes. No hint of any difference. Did I just waste $3500?

Next day it is still cold, but dry. Time to check things out. Warm up the car and head for the highway. Car is as placid as usual. No change in driveability whatsoever. Did I get the correct box back?

Started up the entrance ramp to the freeway. Let the motor rev up a little. Boost gauge showing activity way earlier than before - bar graph starts shooting up at about 2700 rpms. Boost stays pegged at 1 bar - not just a poke at 1 bar anymore, it just stays there.

Open lane, hit the sport button, and accelerate up an overpass staying in 6th. Car pulls exceptionally hard. I'm at 135 coming close to turn in on a 50mph sweeper. Boost gauge is pegged at 18. I have never seen 18 before! Are my eyes lying?

Exit the freeway and do a U-turn. Go thru the toll booth at about 10mph and firmly mash the pedal. Holy ^$%$!!! All 4 tires spin and the car fires off like a catapult. My neck has just lost 30% of its disc height from jerking. Tachmeter swings wildly like the VU meters of old tape decks. Redline hits much earlier than expected. Time to snap off shifts and stop trying to look at the boost gauge. Keep the nose straight.

Slow down, breathe. Let the car saunter home. Pulse is still high. Brain is wild with activity. The promise has been realized. My 997TT is now like the Tin Man with a new heart-soul! Forget about the X50, the Turbo S, the GT2. This is all you need. For now at least....
Old 01-16-2007, 03:54 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
I just got back from the Detroit Auto Show (superb BTW) to find a magical box from UPS on my doorstep. Inside the box lay a mystery - a promise of excitement, a promise of fun that may or may not be realized.

Now at 2200 miles, the hope of the passage of factory boost restriction being gone has passed. There was no boost unlimitation being unleashed at 2000 miles. Porsche lied. There is no boost and torque plateau starting at 1950 rpm. There is no 18psi boost to be found, ever! Boost never hit until 3k rpms, no matter what gear. Why would they promise us that and deliver nothing even close?

I opened the box to find my ECU. Well packaged, and re-install was a snap. The weather outside was dreadful - 35F and freezing rain. I started up the car half expecting error messages. There were none. The startup idle was smooth, no burps, no hiccups, no surges. I let it run for 10 minutes at idle, blipping the throttle from time to time. No changes. No hint of any difference. Did I just waste $3500?

Next day it is still cold, but dry. Time to check things out. Warm up the car and head for the highway. Car is as placid as usual. No change in driveability whatsoever. Did I get the correct box back?

Started up the entrance ramp to the freeway. Let the motor rev up a little. Boost gauge showing activity way earlier than before - bar graph starts shooting up at about 2700 rpms. Boost stays pegged at 1 bar - not just a poke at 1 bar anymore, it just stays there.

Open lane, hit the sport button, and accelerate up an overpass staying in 6th. Car pulls exceptionally hard. I'm at 135 coming close to turn in on a 50mph sweeper. Boost gauge is pegged at 18. I have never seen 18 before! Are my eyes lying?

Exit the freeway and do a U-turn. Go thru the toll booth at about 10mph and firmly mash the pedal. Holy ^$%$!!! All 4 tires spin and the car fires off like a catapult. My neck has just lost 30% of its disc height from jerking. Tachmeter swings wildly like the VU meters of old tape decks. Redline hits much earlier than expected. Time to snap off shifts and stop trying to look at the boost gauge. Keep the nose straight.

Slow down, breathe. Let the car saunter home. Pulse is still high. Brain is wild with activity. The promise has been realized. My 997TT is now like the Tin Man with a new heart-soul! Forget about the X50, the Turbo S, the GT2. This is all you need. For now at least....
Congratulations eugene, did you have the redline extended a bit too and are you keeping the 18 psi till redline now?
mine used to hit 18 psi only between 2 and 4krpm but with the chip it stays there till 7300, is your car programmed the same?
Have fun and be safe the car is a monster now.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:56 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am keeping the factory redline for now - don't want to push things too hard. I haven't been able to observe the redline with more that a few glimpses since the car is simply flying now and I am afraid....
Old 01-16-2007, 04:19 PM
AAHTT
Racer

I am keeping the factory redline for now - don't want to push things too hard. I haven't been able to observe the redline with more that a few glimpses since the car is simply flying now and I am afraid....
I really like the slightly increased redline since I don't hit it and bounce off of it anymore so easily, but I understand your concerns.
also, try some racing fuel and you'll feel an even bigger difference in hp/tq.
Enjoy.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eclou-

We are glad you like it! Thanks again for your business.

For those that would like more info, please click the link below.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...s&IL=997TTgiac
Old 01-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

ECLou,
I travel to Houston about twice a month, is there anyway we could get together? I would like to hear the AWE exhaust. I am very interested in changing the exhaust and ECU on my 997TT.

Max
Old 01-16-2007, 06:39 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Yes! Try the race gas if you can find it. Even a 2 to 1 mix makes a big difference on my GIAC equipped car.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:12 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's it, I'm on it!
Old 01-16-2007, 09:00 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Max Energy
ECLou,
I travel to Houston about twice a month, is there anyway we could get together? I would like to hear the AWE exhaust. I am very interested in changing the exhaust and ECU on my 997TT.

Max
I'd be happy to give you an audition
Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 PM
golfguy
Racer

<snip>

Lou

nice post and thanks for the review.

you should consider writing for excellence or pca. and definitely Mike at awe should be paying you a commission for a ll the business you are generating for them.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

that's a great write up.... makes me want to go out and get it......... damn.........! that's some good foreplay!
Old 01-22-2007, 11:19 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:

I have a couple of hundred miles on the car - almost all city and rush hour driving - since ECU install. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. It is as tractable as stock, if not better since the "lag" is cut in half once again. No crazy throttle modulation issues or jerky tip-in, no surging or stalling. Wife still has no clue after taking it for a few runs to the mall and grocery store.

Even better, I was able to repeatedly get FULL BOOST by 2400 rpm in 6th gear, and boost initiated at 1900-2000 rpm (sport mode). I always had felt cheated seeing the boost gauge finger spike up to 16# and then rapidly retract back to 12#. Now it stays jammed right to the edge!

Quick Reply: GIAC/A.W.E. ecu tuning - first impressions