Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Turbo’s on BaT / Pcarmarket / Cars & Bids Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 06:41 AM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

@NSXavier Ha - when I saw the super-clean underside on that Zanzibar auction, I immediately thought of you. Savvy listers will now do a dry ice treatment before taking photos .

Chris.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chris L:
9SIX4-C4 (01-15-2021), bikeboy (05-09-2023), NSXavier (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 08:33 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L
@NSXavier ...Savvy listers will now do a dry ice treatment before taking photos .

Chris.
Heck, doesnt require savy listers, just a thought that if I'm gonna put it on a place like BaT, it might be good idea to at least spend 5 minutes and powerwash the underside.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (01-15-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:53 AM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 312 Posts

Solid bidding strategy and info from a BaT user. Just bid, baby!!

Am I the only one annoyed whenever someone spells “Mezger” incorrectly? I mean, the guy engineered a race bred engine and died a legend in the PORSCHE and Motorsport world. Speculation that cars housing his power plant will start increasing in value has been thrown around since the day of his passing. The least one can do when referencing his legendary split case flat six is spell his name right?? RIP and thank you Mr. Mezger.

Reviewing all the pictures on this car has me in awe. The unique color makes it hard not to pay attention to. If I had any skin in the game, I wouldn’t be concerned at all about the carfax ding and previous paint work, especially since the seller claims to have photos of the damage that occurred. I’m no detailer, but a 17mm paint meter reading has me thinking that there is plenty of clear coat on there to wet sand, polish and buff that area to perfection.

Still no DME... willing to bet it’s mostly clean. But I would be interested to see how an unfavorable result affects interests and value on a PTS car.

Since I’m a sucker for all of those expensive PORSCHE options... and literally started spec’ing my own personal 997 Turbo out by draining my wallet purchasing the options I want, I’m going to say that the icing on the PTS-cake is the PCCB along with all the exclusive options and original price tag.

I am also FLOORED to see that the p/o spent nearly $7,000 for parts/labor on 4 tires, 4 TPMS sensors, 4WA, 40k service and Brake fluid flush!!! Is that what the going rate is at Porsche dealerships now?? Sheesh. I’m working for the wrong brand. That 7 grand could have gone towards coolant pipes and made the car REALLY strong on any auction or for sale site.
snolvr (01-11-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 07:25 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXavier
Am I the only one annoyed whenever someone spells “Mezger” incorrectly? I mean, the guy engineered a race bred engine and died a legend in the PORSCHE and Motorsport world. Speculation that cars housing his power plant will start increasing in value has been thrown around since the day of his passing. The least one can do when referencing his legendary split case flat six is spell his name right?? RIP and thank you Mr. Mezger.
No, I'm right there with you, especially when its from supposed long-time Porsche people..

I am also FLOORED to see that the p/o spent nearly $7,000 for parts/labor on 4 tires, 4 TPMS sensors, 4WA, 40k service and Brake fluid flush!!! Is that what the going rate is at Porsche dealerships now?? Sheesh. I’m working for the wrong brand. That 7 grand could have gone towards coolant pipes and made the car REALLY strong on any auction or for sale site.
Pretty much.. the Porsche tax is real.. Xavier, you should open up your own indy shop.. just charge 20% less than a dealer and you'd be in business..
NSXavier (01-12-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 11:08 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 289 Posts

Not the only one... when I see it spelled with a T, I instantly hear it pronounced in shmee's voice...

Big Swole (01-12-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 10:07 AM
Mo Ghouse
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

I know this one is not on the auction block but I saw it on eBay. Price seems opposite of the “over priced” purchases on the auction blocks.
What do you think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233847979168
Old 01-10-2021, 10:47 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,042 Likes on 2,094 Posts

That Zanzibar car is incredibly nice.

I do ask myself will there ever be a day when people care a bit less about well documented paint work for reasons other than a true accident (collision of two cars above say 5mph). If paint match is good, quality and texture is good, then should it matter? I understand that two cars sitting next to each other, one with paint work and one without, the one without paint work will sell for slightly more, but I'm sure there are quite a few bidders that won't even consider the car now even for a slight discount due to that.
Robocop305 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-10-2021, 11:10 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
That Zanzibar car is incredibly nice.

I do ask myself will there ever be a day when people care a bit less about well documented paint work for reasons other than a true accident (collision of two cars above say 5mph). If paint match is good, quality and texture is good, then should it matter? I understand that two cars sitting next to each other, one with paint work and one without, the one without paint work will sell for slightly more, but I'm sure there are quite a few bidders that won't even consider the car now even for a slight discount due to that.
It should not matter if a scratch has been taken care of properly. The only difference will be millage of the thickness of paint, paint technology has advanced so far in recent years that it should be flawless. I for one had two stone chips in my hood and had them properly repaired, I prefer to have perfect looking panels over chips in my paint, if a future buyer thinks that makes my car worth less than go find another car. Besides the fact I spent a substantial amount of money having it repaired properly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Feld:
9SIX4-C4 (01-15-2021), cyclrder (02-12-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 09:14 PM
gvibes
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bschurr
I saw it listed for sale for $109k - no chance it’s gonna sell for that amount.

The car is also part of this podcast discussion on Over Under Drive. Starts at about 4 min. They think the figure is $90k
Yeah, 109 seems really optimistic. I could 95-97 though. I mean, it's already at 80.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:28 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 262 Posts

The place on RL to discuss 997 Turbos for auction offered on BaT, PCarMarket and Cars & Bids. No worries about comments being flagged here. Sound advice, information, data and humor from the RL members and owners of these fine turbocharged flat six automobiles.

When you post, to keep things as organized as possible:

-Label the site (BaT, PCM, C&B).

-Post a brief description.

-Post a link to the ad.

-Post a photo of the car.

-Post personal thoughts and opinions and any information one has on the car to get discussions started.

Example is OP:
While the last thread about a car on BaT ruffled a few feathers, it did make for some good discussion. Figured I would create a thread where we could post links to the offerings on BaT and comment on the car without worry of being "flagged as non constructive". I mean... what do 997 Turbo owners enjoy more than talking about their cars? Maybe this thread could even help future prospective owners in finding one.

Lets start things off:

BaT

PTS Zanzibar Red Coupe/Manual:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...turbo-6-speed/

I have seen this car previously offered for sale at a private dealer in FL. Supposedly some damage has occurred. Underside looks cleaner than the 7k mile one offered last Month. If I recall, the selling dealer in FL was asking $100k for it.

I personally love that color and the factory build is quite nice.
Decent car. Great options.

The interior is terrible for such low miles. The driver black sill is very scuffed. Area around ignition is beat. Centre console split by ash tray. Seats look appalling.

Also, Paint work as well on pts. Tough.

All the interior stuff is replaceable, but to me it shows lack of care by po.

And exactly yes. This is what the underside of a well kept low mile car should look like.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:45 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Feld
It should not matter if a scratch has been taken care of properly. The only difference will be millage of the thickness of paint, paint technology has advanced so far in recent years that it should be flawless. I for one had two stone chips in my hood and had them properly repaired, I prefer to have perfect looking panels over chips in my paint, if a future buyer thinks that makes my car worth less than go find another car. Besides the fact I spent a substantial amount of money having it repaired properly.
Much if it is the uncertainty of just what happened to necessitate the repaint. For purely cosmetic resprays or trivial fender benders, if you provide before & after photos with dates and receipts from a well-regarded shop, I’d think you could mitigate people’s concerns. Give the next guy a good story to tell when they get asked if if the paint is original.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:47 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

The Zanzibar car is unique build with all the right goodies. Paint work and interior condition seem to be the only minuses as discussed above. Think $90k is the number but it will probably go for more since it's on BAT.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:27 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Much if it is the uncertainty of just what happened to necessitate the repaint. For purely cosmetic resprays or trivial fender benders, if you provide before & after photos with dates and receipts from a well-regarded shop, I’d think you could mitigate people’s concerns. Give the next guy a good story to tell when they get asked if if the paint is original.
Agreed with documented history to alleviate the concern that the car was in a accident . A trained eye can also tell if there is more to the story by checking for filler, welds that are not OEM etc. If you know where to look there is always tell tale signs from collision repair, it may take some disassembly and time but a good PPI should reveal the history of the car.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:11 PM
DivingorDriving
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Feld
Agreed with documented history to alleviate the concern that the car was in a accident . A trained eye can also tell if there is more to the story by checking for filler, welds that are not OEM etc. If you know where to look there is always tell tale signs from collision repair, it may take some disassembly and time but a good PPI should reveal the history of the car.
Agree. I just decided to repaint the rear bumper on the 2012 TT MT (black) I just acquired, because somebody cut the paint back there while removing a vinyl wrap. The car has never been wrecked, I don't believe (has very low miles), but I want the paint to be as perfect as possible before a new full ppf wrap. I don't plan ever to sell the car, but I'd just like to get it as like new as I can, and protected, and then drive and enjoy and take care of it going forward.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:13 AM
bschurr
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Another option - offered in the Classified section

If you haven’t seen this - it’s worth a look. Seems very reasonably priced but it’s not Zanzibar Red nor is it stock...

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1231950

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo’s on BaT / Pcarmarket / Cars & Bids Thread