Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US Pricing for all 2010 to 2013 997.2 TT or TTS currently for sale as of Nov 2019

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 12:09 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,530 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
At 83k miles I would not consider it unless A. the price was much cheaper or B. the PDK had been replaced. And that doesn't even account for all the other things that can go wrong. There's a reason that Fidelity warrantees get much more expensive when you get to high miles....80k and up. While there's anecdotal evidence of 100k cars with original PDK and engines they aren't the rule And if you are short enough on cash that you have to buy a high-mile car then think about what happened to Bronz when lightning struck twice.

If you buy 40k miles for $90k and drive 10k miles it will be easier to get money back later than a 86k mile car for $65k that would then need to sell with 96k miles....and the additional risk during ownership.

That car does look nice though.
LOL. That's exactly why I wrote the "Guide to repairing a PDK transmission" sticky over in the 997 forum. I DIY everything and became obsessed with the thought of it failing after I got my turbo. Now I'm sure I can fix it (short of a trashed gear case) and it's not a daily driver so I can to have it on jack stands for a few months if needed. Mine only has 58k which is highish for a turbo but not high generally as these 997.2 powertrains are reliable. Completely agree that if it's a daily driver and one isn't mechanically-inclined an 80k mile example is probably not a good idea.

BTW, the turbo PDK is considerably beefed-up from the Carrera PDK with bigger clutches, higher strength driveshafts, and forged rather than cast parts at key high stress area. Tracked PDKs would concern me a bit as the 997.2 doesn't have a gear oil cooler (added in the 991). I would not want one that had been dragged either as replacement turbo clutches aren't available and launch control will accelerate wear. If a new PDK is needed, one can keep the cost to $12k with a remanufactured unit from Porsche and a DIY install.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:22 PM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
LOL. That's exactly why I wrote the "Guide to repairing a PDK transmission" sticky over in the 997 forum. I DIY everything and became obsessed with the thought of it failing after I got my turbo. Now I'm sure I can fix it (short of a trashed gear case) and it's not a daily driver so I can to have it on jack stands for a few months if needed. Mine only has 58k which is highish for a turbo but not high generally as these 997.2 powertrains are reliable. Completely agree that if it's a daily driver and one isn't mechanically-inclined an 80k mile example is probably not a good idea.

BTW, the turbo PDK is considerably beefed-up from the Carrera PDK with bigger clutches, higher strength driveshafts, and forged rather than cast parts at key high stress area. Tracked PDKs would concern me a bit as the 997.2 doesn't have a gear oil cooler (added in the 991). I would not want one that had been dragged either as replacement turbo clutches aren't available and launch control will accelerate wear. If a new PDK is needed, one can keep the cost to $12k with a remanufactured unit from Porsche and a DIY install.
Dodson makes upgraded PDK clutches, but they are nearly as much as an entire remanufactured PDK
https://www.dodsonmotorsport.com/dmspdkupgrade

Old 07-09-2020, 12:25 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
I like the idea of driving around a top tier p car with basically no worries regard to miles/dings/minor hits causing significant depreciation. And the condition of this one had me thinking, couldn't tell if it's a 20k or 85k mile car from the pics. Not very familiar with the mechanicals of 7.2 tts, heard good things about reliability, anything common/should keep an eye on mech wise for a 100k mile tts?
I hear you, my 2010 TT Cab has 58k miles and looks almost brand new. Throw another 1000 bucks at it for interior wear areas (inner door sills, driver door pull etc.) and a paint correction and it will look brand new. The only thing that *always* breaks on these cars that I know of is the rear spoiler deployment mechanism. Factory replacement is $4k, an aftermarket system is $1.5k, or you can do what I did and refill the system with Pentosin and stop leak ($25). It's worked for 9 months now without issue. While not bulletproof, there is only one documented bore scoring case I've found on the turbo engine (and I've looked hard). Even replacement turbos aren't that expensive if you go with rebuilt units. At 83k miles though, things are going to be wearing out like suspension components, CV boots, water pump, etc. I would not want to pay someone else to continuously fix this stuff as that could get pricey in a hurry.

Last edited by PV997; 07-09-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:30 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vman932
Dodson makes upgraded PDK clutches, but they are nearly as much as an entire remanufactured PDK
https://www.dodsonmotorsport.com/dmspdkupgrade
You are right, forgot to mention Dodson but the cost for just the clutch is $12K!! The clutches in the turbo PDK can start to fail with the high torques from monster builds. Dodson's market is those doing significant engine upgrades (>30% power over stock).
Old 07-09-2020, 01:14 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I like the idea of driving around a top tier p car with basically no worries regard to miles/dings/minor hits causing significant depreciation. And the condition of this one had me thinking, couldn't tell if it's a 20k or 85k mile car from the pics. Not very familiar with the mechanicals of 7.2 tts, heard good things about reliability, anything common/should keep an eye on mech wise for a 100k mile tts?

.2's are known to be almost bullet proof. PDK is my only worry, so I bought a Fidelity Platinum Warranty for 6 y / 60k miles extra. My car has 40K miles just the other day. So I'm not worried at all.

pdk is my biggest concern as well, I’m also curious about how’s those pccb looking given the years &miles. From carfax seems 70k miles are racked by prev owner in last four years, I’d guess most are dd/commuting miles which isn’t that hard.
If the pads are still over 50% and it wasn't tracked, the PCCB should be in perfect shape (long as nobody dinged them up taking wheels off / on).
Change the pads and roll.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:30 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts

Everything I've read and seen first hand points to these cars being very reliable. PDK issue is scary given the replacement cost and repair difficulty but rare. While it seems uncommon to see super high mileage Turbos in the US, it is much more common in Europe. I'm honestly not sure where the US Turbos go when they approach 100K...perhaps they are being sold internationally?

Buy it and make it a 200K Turbo...you will be featured in the Panorama magazine
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeff Jones:
Big Swole (07-09-2020), PV997 (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 853 Likes on 449 Posts

Thanks for the collected inputs guys. I’m not actively looking but this one gives me an idea. If it’s still around for another month or so and I can get over the cab’s look I’ll get more serious!
Old 03-27-2023, 05:00 PM
rosemont83
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Everything I've read and seen first hand points to these cars being very reliable. PDK issue is scary given the replacement cost and repair difficulty but rare. While it seems uncommon to see super high mileage Turbos in the US, it is much more common in Europe. I'm honestly not sure where the US Turbos go when they approach 100K...perhaps they are being sold internationally?

Buy it and make it a 200K Turbo...you will be featured in the Panorama magazine
Few years later and I bought one of the 997.2 TT coupes that have a manual and 100k miles.. They do exist, and they are awesome and also priced higher than most of the 997.1s..

Quick Reply: US Pricing for all 2010 to 2013 997.2 TT or TTS currently for sale as of Nov 2019