Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 01:22 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Every coolant fitting is suspect. If you drill and tap and screw in a fastener>that just keeps the fitting from rotating and blowing out. From years of seeing the same design on the 996GT3 and 996Turbo the glue bond can fail down the road and seep coolant. Heat the glue up and remove the fittings. Clean, emory cloth and re epoxy. se JB Weld Original formula>>do not get the quick set or Marine. Let the bond/joint cure for at least 12 to 14 hours before drilling/tapping/screwing in the fastener.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Rob32Ford
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Every coolant fitting is suspect. If you drill and tap and screw in a fastener>that just keeps the fitting from rotating and blowing out. From years of seeing the same design on the 996GT3 and 996Turbo the glue bond can fail down the road and seep coolant. Heat the glue up and remove the fittings. Clean, emory cloth and re epoxy. se JB Weld Original formula>>do not get the quick set or Marine. Let the bond/joint cure for at least 12 to 14 hours before drilling/tapping/screwing in the fastener.

Kevin - what are your thoughts on what appears to be a reluctance to weld the pipes in. Is there an issue over time with the welds? Is there something about the joint and/or the materials that makes this difficult? I still can't wrap my head around glued in fittings.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Got it Kevin. Did you look at the first picture? Is that what you meant by locking in the pins?

Ed
Old 07-10-2019, 02:47 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob32Ford
Kevin - what are your thoughts on what appears to be a reluctance to weld the pipes in. Is there an issue over time with the welds? Is there something about the joint and/or the materials that makes this difficult? I still can't wrap my head around glued in fittings.

Thanks!
Agree, If/when I have to deal with this, I was thinking of sending out the whole part and getting them welded in, a la bbi or someone similar.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The extruded coolant fitting ages over time. You risk a stress crack at the weld line due to the aluminum stress fatigue. Now if you take and CNC T6061 and make new fittings or purchase aftermarket fittings and clean, clean clean the existing casting>>a good welder can weld the new aluminum fitting into the castings. The next step is where 90% of the shop cheat. They don't pressure test there work. Visual inspection and hand the pieces to the shop tech for install. Every year I get PPI calls for recommendations on cars that have coolant seeping around welded (now cracked or thru a pinhole from a contaminated weld) or a pinned stock fitting that wasn't removed and re-epoxied. Welding is NOT 100%.. There risk rises if you do not pressure test and weld new CNC'd fittings. If you weld the STOCK extruded with uneven (thickness) which vary from 0.058" to 0.065" thickness "your" risk goes up due to stress fractures. Who wants to go back in and redo the job when you can glue and pin or weld with new fitting and pressure test!
Old 07-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ed, yes you have staked the pin. It will keep the pin from moving around.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:12 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Cool. Another skill added.

Ed
Old 07-15-2019, 10:36 PM
Torque-less
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Going to be dropping my motor this winter. Hoping to get some similar things accomplished
Old 07-16-2019, 08:55 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
The extruded coolant fitting ages over time. You risk a stress crack at the weld line due to the aluminum stress fatigue. Now if you take and CNC T6061 and make new fittings or purchase aftermarket fittings and clean, clean clean the existing casting>>a good welder can weld the new aluminum fitting into the castings. The next step is where 90% of the shop cheat. They don't pressure test there work. Visual inspection and hand the pieces to the shop tech for install. Every year I get PPI calls for recommendations on cars that have coolant seeping around welded (now cracked or thru a pinhole from a contaminated weld) or a pinned stock fitting that wasn't removed and re-epoxied. Welding is NOT 100%.. There risk rises if you do not pressure test and weld new CNC'd fittings. If you weld the STOCK extruded with uneven (thickness) which vary from 0.058" to 0.065" thickness "your" risk goes up due to stress fractures. Who wants to go back in and redo the job when you can glue and pin or weld with new fitting and pressure test!

Not even sure why someone would try and weld the old fittings.

BBI makes a set for like 200 bucks.

Welding vs glue/pinning will be discussed until the end of time. What is right? Who knows both work. I like welding over pinning but that is just me.

Find a shop that knows the cars and if they are going to weld make sure they know what they are doing
Old 07-17-2019, 05:30 AM
theanalyst
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great job! Enjoyed reading this thread, excellent work.
I am doing similar works on mine at the moment, except I am also having to replace the turbos due to corrosion ;( (UK weather). What if anything do Porsche state should be used when fitting the new orings in the engine?
Both coolant ones and oil system ones. I would usually lube the oil system ones lightly with a bit of engine oil, I guess its the same for the coolant ones?

Anyone got any good info on this. Kevin? I read on an oring makers site that using any type of grease is bad as it will absorb into the oring when the engine is hot and shorten the life of it a lot.
thanks
Old 07-17-2019, 08:21 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Getting there. Had to wait on Porsche to get the right sealant for the cam covers (part superseded and then restricted to 918's then another part....) Getting it today. Had to use a map torch to get the fittings out, epoxied them and they just finished the 24 hour cure so I will be pinning them tonight or tomorrow.

For the o-rings Porsche says to use a specific grease for the o rings. The part 000.043.204.68 is the one for the o ring grease.

For your turbo's, I have never heard of them rusting. I have heard of the actuators having trouble and either un-seizing them and replacing the arms or just replacing the arms or cleaning them up solve the issue. Are you sure you need to replace them?

Ed
Old 07-17-2019, 08:49 AM
theanalyst
Instructor

Originally Posted by lliejk
Getting there. Had to wait on Porsche to get the right sealant for the cam covers (part superseded and then restricted to 918's then another part....) Getting it today. Had to use a map torch to get the fittings out, epoxied them and they just finished the 24 hour cure so I will be pinning them tonight or tomorrow.

For the o-rings Porsche says to use a specific grease for the o rings. The part 000.043.204.68 is the one for the o ring grease.

For your turbo's, I have never heard of them rusting. I have heard of the actuators having trouble and either un-seizing them and replacing the arms or just replacing the arms or cleaning them up solve the issue. Are you sure you need to replace them?

Ed
Thanks Ed, I believe we have talked on a different thread! where you posted some very helpful pics of your build.
Got that regards the oring grease, thanks a lot.

Where do you live? Corrosion may not be common place in hotter climates but in the UK, where the weather is generally terrible, it is a common issue on 996tt, and more and more on 997tt as well.
My turbo was blowing from between the compressor housing and the turbo centre bit. The corrosion has thinned the metal to the point where the exhaust gas found the weak spot. Now, I could have got them refurbished but bought new. Also, the turbo lines are stuck in the turbos so badly that I am having to replace them... all. So thats all new turbo lines because the old ones are stuck in there so tight.
Here is a few pics.. ! So while I replaced all the turbo lines I decided to go to town on everything and go the while hog so to speak. Cannot wait to get it back together!!

Old 07-17-2019, 09:02 AM
theanalyst
Instructor

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Ed, great to see other guys doing their own work!!! That return line is the numero uno for coolant leaks! It usually begins as a small leak via the plastic elbow. I believe some movement occurs at that rubber part, it will rupture! The drivers side return line is secured and rarely fails. Replace both of them. Hopefully you purchased the sharkwerks elbows. You are going to need a special glue sealer for the mating of that housing assembly to engine block. If you do not use this glue as outlined in the WM, YOU WILL HAVE VACUUM codes etc.
What special glue sealer for what housing assembly to the engine block?! I am at a similar stage, just have the oil coolers left to remove and the elbows below, can someone elaborate on this? THANKS
Old 07-17-2019, 09:09 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theanalyst
What special glue sealer for what housing assembly to the engine block?! I am at a similar stage, just have the oil coolers left to remove and the elbows below, can someone elaborate on this? THANKS

The part where the oil coolers sit and the shark werk elbows bolt into.

That part bolts to the top of the block but using RTV to seal it where the cases meet. I had mine leak the first time I had it off(my fault). I used the approved RTV both times just messed it up the first time.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theanalyst
Great job! Enjoyed reading this thread, excellent work.
I am doing similar works on mine at the moment, except I am also having to replace the turbos due to corrosion ;( (UK weather). What if anything do Porsche state should be used when fitting the new orings in the engine?
Both coolant ones and oil system ones. I would usually lube the oil system ones lightly with a bit of engine oil, I guess its the same for the coolant ones?

Anyone got any good info on this. Kevin? I read on an oring makers site that using any type of grease is bad as it will absorb into the oring when the engine is hot and shorten the life of it a lot.
thanks

I just use rubber safe silicone spray when install o rings. You dont want to use oil as it can make the o rings if they are not meant to have oil on them. It can make them swell over time and leak

Quick Reply: 997.1 Engine Drop - big list of To Do's