Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Engine Drop - big list of To Do's

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 03:47 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Just placed the above order with ECS, thanks for that. Looks like the O rings were about the same price.

Got the adapters.

The list above is still OK to get (though maybe overkill) but they are 11 year old hoses?

Ed
Old 06-15-2019, 05:43 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Ed, they will last a long time. It’s the “O” rings. Remember the coolant system has a cold side and a hot side. Here is a diagram for your viewing. Take note of the red and blue coolant flow. Also, take note of the front radiators. Every place you see a quick disconnect type, an “O” ring is used. Keep up the great work! I love working on my car and I save thousands!

The following 2 users liked this post by atcbi5:
Daweil (04-21-2020), Robocop305 (10-12-2021)
Old 06-16-2019, 06:42 PM
JJT
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Ed, they will last a long time. It’s the “O” rings. Remember the coolant system has a cold side and a hot side. Here is a diagram for your viewing. Take note of the red and blue coolant flow. Also, take note of the front radiators. Every place you see a quick disconnect type, an “O” ring is used. Keep up the great work! I love working on my car and I save thousands!

It would be interesting to put new flanges on all the connections.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:45 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Forgot to mention the light green lines are vent lines. Notice they are at the top of both radiators. When you put everything together and bleed the system, trapped air will vent thru those lines back into the expansion tank. I use a vacuum tool once all is hooked up. Mix your coolant in Home Depot 5 gallon containers. Run the vacuum tool and inspect for drop in vacuum. I use 70% distilled water and 30% Porsche coolant since I am in south Florida.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:48 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Have almost all of the parts, waiting on Pelican to get the Sharkwerks elbows, but they say they should go out on Monday. I had forgotten about wanting to replace the oil filler tube with a GT3 setup that includes a dipstick (why do they not have this from the factory?), so I ordered those parts today and should be able to pick all of it up on Wednesday and get started on Thursday with the work.

I will update the parts spreadsheet once I am far enough along that I can adjust any items I either didn't order or I needed to order after the initial one.

Ed
Old 06-22-2019, 06:41 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Great post and don’t stop keeping us posted on the progress.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:55 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Get the correct coils for your car. Do not get the so called “improved version”. No such thing and a HUGE mistake if you get the “improved version”.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:07 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

These are what I ordered:

Porsche Direct Ignition Coil - Bosch 0986221116

Ed
Old 06-25-2019, 08:17 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Heading out tomorrow to get the parts from Porsche. One item (99710607575 - coolant return line) - one of the turbo coolant lines - has to be made once Germany finds a company to make it, so it will be months before I see it. Needless to say I won't be keeping the engine out for that long. Since I am now an expert (ha, ha) in engine drops, I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Pelican is the last supplier I am waiting on and they just said they would ship their stuff (the tension roller, drive shaft flex joint and SharkWerks elbows) so they would be here by Friday.

Once I have everything in hand I will update the spreadsheet one more time with the best information I have as well as posting some more pix.

Hopefully I ordered the correct coils (I know I have to do some work on one screw to get it to fit).

Ed
Old 06-25-2019, 08:52 PM
Backday
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lliejk
Heading out tomorrow to get the parts from Porsche. One item (99710607575 - coolant return line) - one of the turbo coolant lines - has to be made once Germany finds a company to make it, so it will be months before I see it. Needless to say I won't be keeping the engine out for that long. Since I am now an expert (ha, ha) in engine drops, I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Pelican is the last supplier I am waiting on and they just said they would ship their stuff (the tension roller, drive shaft flex joint and SharkWerks elbows) so they would be here by Friday.

Once I have everything in hand I will update the spreadsheet one more time with the best information I have as well as posting some more pix.

Hopefully I ordered the correct coils (I know I have to do some work on one screw to get it to fit).

Ed
When I upgraded my turbos I bought 2 water lines and one oil line from Rose Passion. They have now your water line in stock : https://www.rosepassion.com/en/cat/p...-1-2-3/P122558
Old 06-26-2019, 12:22 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

I didn't think to look international. That is cool, thank you.

Ed
Old 06-29-2019, 10:39 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Parts update:

Got the items from Porsche. My deal isn't as good as the Sonnen pricing, but maybe with shipping and the convenience of them being close by is worth it. I updated the Spreadsheet with what I actually got (from Porsche and others) as well as the pricing and have attached it here.

In case you were wondering what a $2,000+ box of parts from Porsche looks like:

Same set of parts plus most of the others I will be putting on the car (minus the GMG sways and Kline exhaust & some small items I still need to get):

Going through the invoice and checking it (and then the spreadsheet) was a task for an accountant, not me. But it is done. I probably ordered some coolant items I did not need to to, but the car is 11 years old, so I am not too worried. Still need to get the drop links from Powerglide (have to email them some pix so they can get me what I need) as well as some assembly lube and other miscellaneous items which I will do shortly.

Got everything pretty well organized. I have to head out to take advantage of the weather and make some progress on a shed I am building, but actual disassembly work should commence this evening.

Oh, and that turbo return line doesn't exist anywhere on the planet, Rose Passion sent me an email saying they actually did not have it, so back on Porsche's back order list for now.

Ed
Attached Files
Old 06-29-2019, 02:06 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for posting all this. Very helpful. Are all those parts in the picture only $2000 -- that looks like much more!
Old 06-29-2019, 04:35 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

You are correct. The total was about $4900 (should be on the spreadsheet for anyone thinking about this). Though I am sure I did overkill, however unlike most Porsche owners, this is my 997 TT for life. The last car I had I retired at 335K miles (Audi CQ).

That $2K was just the box from Porsche (about $2500).

I will be working on it between weather and golf and hockey this weekend, so not much will get done, but I will post at the next significant moment.

Ed
Old 07-05-2019, 01:49 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Got some work done today. I was spending a lot of time trying to decide what to do first or how to attack disassembly by reading through the docs I have, but after hemming and hawing for a day or so I decided just to dive in and start pulling stuff that I was replacing or I knew had to be removed.

I was in the middle of it and guess what popped out in my hand:

So if it wasn't the plastic elbow it would have been the glued pipes at some point.Needless to say I will be de-bonding and re-bonding those. Pulled a bunch of stuff. I forget who said it, but these engines do continue to puke coolant and oil was you remove items.

Started a new table for items pulled to be replaced or moved out of the way to get to what needs to be replaced. Got hung up on the wire chase/pipe holder on the driver side, but I know I read the procedure somewhere.

Engine looks like this currently:

I'll be back at it tomorrow and over the weekend. Hope to have everything I need off by Sunday. One thing I have to confirm is, do I need to rotate the engine so the cylinder banks face up when pulling the cams? I have to split the trans anyway to change to a GT2 clutch (and see what's left of the clutch friction material), so I could mount it on an engine stand. Anyone know what these engines weight, sans trans (and I lot of other crap)?

I've already run into O rings and gaskets I need to order, so I will be doing another order at some point.

Ed

Quick Reply: 997.1 Engine Drop - big list of To Do's