Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 997tt clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 04:43 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't blame sport mode clutch modulation on the clutch itself. That mode has a pretty ridiculous throttle profile. Press the gas more than ~20% and it opens the throttle plate 80%+, easy to see on an OBD2 scanner.

Dan
Old 08-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Alapor
Instructor

I felt the same when I got my car 2.5 years ago.

I too am running a sachs clutch and it took a while for me to get used to. That being said, I STILL find it impossible to use from a stand-still and while in sport mode

I'm gonna replace the slave when I pull the motor for some other stuff
Yep. The old way of checking a clutch if you are not sure about it, is to put it in high gear (6th for the 997tt) and try and start from a dead stop. If it immediately stalls, clutch good, if it slips a lot before stalling or you even get it moving, clutch FUBAR. My stalls like a champ in 6th, plus my clutch (Sachs 2.5) is not that old. I can't imagine racing from a dead standstill, you would get crushed. Not sure how they are posting 0-60 times in the 3.4-3.5 range with this setup, but it is someone better than me. I am over 4 sec, I just can't get it to consistently launch right. Getting better, but still not where I want to be. Sport mode or not.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Alapor
Instructor

maybe your clutch is toast. When a clutch is bad can have high engagement.
Mine is fine. I have read a lot of people with the sachs 2.5, that is actually puts the engagement even higher than stock. So, if you do not like your engagement point on the stock one, sure as hell don't go Sachs 2.5.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:05 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by dprantl
I wouldn't blame sport mode clutch modulation on the clutch itself. That mode has a pretty ridiculous throttle profile. Press the gas more than ~20% and it opens the throttle plate 80%+, easy to see on an OBD2 scanner.

Dan
Agree with this. BTW, Do you have a relative (brother, perhaps) that is a Saab guru? Your screen name is not something you see everyday.
The following users liked this post:
Msflynn03 (09-27-2019)
Old 08-17-2018, 11:52 AM
dprantl
Race Car

Originally Posted by saabin
Agree with this. BTW, Do you have a relative (brother, perhaps) that is a Saab guru? Your screen name is not something you see everyday.
Yep, David is my brother. His focus has remained mostly on Saabs, whereas my car interests spilled over from Saabs to Porsches years ago.

Dan
Old 08-28-2018, 02:03 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Well, it puked coolant everywhere and the engine is coming out, so I might do the conversion. Does tapping and drilling to us a GT2 fork really worth it over the bracket and EVOM setup? Just curious.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:13 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Alapor
Well, it puked coolant everywhere and the engine is coming out, so I might do the conversion. Does tapping and drilling to us a GT2 fork really worth it over the bracket and EVOM setup? Just curious.
if you have the engine out tap it
Old 08-28-2018, 07:53 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Other than saving $200 dollars over the EVOMS kit, is there a an added benefit by going OEM GT2 route and tapping the tranny? If not I would rather spend the extra $200 and not put extra holes on the tranny.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:07 PM
Alapor
Instructor

996pp, kinda wondering the same thing. I believe a true GT2 setup that the fork is on the other side. Guys have had great luck with the EVOM kit, and drilling/tapping. BUT, what is the benefit of drilling and tapping over the EVOM bracket other than the fork being on the opposite side? Just curious, want to get the best setup possible. I do know the EVOM kit can be done with the engine in, but drilling and tapping, it has to come out. Also, read a few people have screwed up the drill and tap and it was not straight.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:05 AM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I recently

My criticisms of my clutch pedal feel and engagement were the same as yours. I found it to be over boosted, vague and just plain sucked. So very recently, when I had to change my clutch - I had installed a Sachs Motorsport clutch from Evolution Motorsports - I had also installed the BBI Clutch Slave Cylinder Conversion kit installed, along with a GT3 helper spring. The kit does away with the accumulator which uses the power steering system to reduce the clutch pedal effort. Now the clutch engagement is much lower, the pedal pressure is higher (it's pretty much 997 GT3 stiff now), and the overall driving experience I find to be MUCH better.

https://www.bbiautosport.com/product...on-upgrade-kit

I am not associated with BBI or EVOMS.

I hope this helps.

H
Old 08-29-2018, 11:50 AM
SigAddict
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

following for ideas on how to shorten engagement.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:17 PM
Alapor
Instructor

As I said, mine blew a hose from the ps pump to the radiator yesterday. I took it to Palafox Imports in Pensacola, which has a stellar reputation as a Porsche shop. Anyway, spoke to him about cooling jackets and clutch. He said he could lower the engagement point. I do not think the engine will have to be dropped, but still waiting to hear. If he can adjust the clutch, I will let you know.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:55 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alapor
As I said, mine blew a hose from the ps pump to the radiator yesterday. I took it to Palafox Imports in Pensacola, which has a stellar reputation as a Porsche shop. Anyway, spoke to him about cooling jackets and clutch. He said he could lower the engagement point. I do not think the engine will have to be dropped, but still waiting to hear. If he can adjust the clutch, I will let you know.
I am curious how that will be accomplished. Maybe tinker with the rod lengths on the clutch master or slave cylinder?

Dan
Old 08-29-2018, 04:58 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Check to see if the push rod has threading and a lock nut. If it does, then it is adjustable.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:24 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

There is no adjustment on the slave to fork pushrod. Typically you will need to lengthen the rod to shorten pedal height.
NOTE: this is one of the reason why I like to install the 997GT2 clutch disk and 764 Sachs race pressure plate instead of the rigid Sachs 2.5 clutch disk

Quick Reply: Another 997tt clutch question