Sponsored by:

Another 997tt clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another 997tt clutch question

Just joined, but have lurked for years. On my 4th Porsche, 997tt. Still have my 997.2 Carrera, which has been my daily driver this summer. So, 997tt comes in, I have read every damn thread on it I could find, and EVERYONE said you will stall it when you first drive it. So, being the badass that I thought I was, I jumped in, started her up, revved it up, let out the clutch and stalled the crap put of it. Well, so goes that. The clutches are so different. 997.2 engages about an inch or two off the floorboard, 997tt, about 10 inches. Mine has a 2.5 Sachs clutch. I really like my 997.2 better. The 997 hydraulic makes it shift like a dump truck.

Anyway, the reason for the post. I have read so much on clutches from Gt2 slaves, to lengthening the shaft, to, well, all kind of crazy stuff. I can deal with it if I can get it to engage off the floor like the 997.2. BUT, while I have read many posts saying that lengthening the shaft will do it, I have read just as many that say the hydraulic clutch wont let you even if you lengthen the shaft. Clutch is fine, stalls like a biatch in 6th, does not slip.

I do like the idea of the GT2 setup as it feels more like the 997.2, but right now my issue is clutch engagement length. So, has anyone been able to get the clutch to engage a few inches off the floor board and if so, what did you do?

Thanks, looking forward to being on this board!!!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:55 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Subscribed
Old 08-14-2018, 01:55 AM
Artwerks
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

The clutch on my 997.1TT is going bad. I was thinking about upgrading to the Sachs 2.5.
Most of what I've read about is doing the slave conversion or, simply, removing the hydraulic assistance from the clutch actuation. I'm not sure this would solve your issue regarding the clutch catch point.
I was a little taken aback when I first drove this clutch, but after a while you get used to the catch point. Maybe you just need to get used to it.
What is so different about the 997.2 clutch that makes the catch point so much different?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:54 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Artwerks
The clutch on my 997.1TT is going bad. I was thinking about upgrading to the Sachs 2.5.
Most of what I've read about is doing the slave conversion or, simply, removing the hydraulic assistance from the clutch actuation. I'm not sure this would solve your issue regarding the clutch catch point.
I was a little taken aback when I first drove this clutch, but after a while you get used to the catch point. Maybe you just need to get used to it.
What is so different about the 997.2 clutch that makes the catch point so much different?
No hydraulic assist in the 997 Carrera. I prefer the clutch feel and pedal press down weight that my 997.1 C2S had. When I first got into the 997 Turbo, I thought I put the clutch pedal through the floor...it's that much lighter compared to my C2S IMO.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:05 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to the club, Hope you enjoy your car.

As far as the clutch, I just installed the gt2 setup in my car and im running a protomotive twin disc. Going from the stock assist set up to the gt2 set up is night and day. Feels like a normal clutch you are not guessing where its going to grab.

You can piece all the parts together for less then you can buy the kit for. I have all the needed part numbers I can post them if you would like.

If you are going to go with the gt2 setup you really should pull the transmission and have the right side tapped to run the gt2 clutch fork. Slave cylinder on the 997turbo is on the left gt2 is on the right and has a shorter push rod in the slave.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

I sold my 997.1CS for a 997.1TT and initially HATED the clutch. Like you, my TT has a Sachs 2.5. I was convinced that I was going to have to swap for a GT2 setup, and I may still if the engine/trans is out in the future. But honestly, 8 months later, I've adjusted to the TT clutch and don't notice it any more.

But yeah, for the couple months where I had both the CS and the TT, I vastly preferred the feel of the CS -- it had way more feel around the engagement point. One I didn't have the back-to-back comparison, I got used to it.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:42 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree with the above, when I first got my 997.2TT I hated the clutch because I was comparing it to other cars I have/ had. After a while I did get used to where and how it grabs and when in traffic the hydraulic assist is not a bad thing to have.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Timeo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
Welcome to the club, Hope you enjoy your car.

As far as the clutch, I just installed the gt2 setup in my car and im running a protomotive twin disc. Going from the stock assist set up to the gt2 set up is night and day. Feels like a normal clutch you are not guessing where its going to grab.

You can piece all the parts together for less then you can buy the kit for. I have all the needed part numbers I can post them if you would like.

If you are going to go with the gt2 setup you really should pull the transmission and have the right side tapped to run the gt2 clutch fork. Slave cylinder on the 997turbo is on the left gt2 is on the right and has a shorter push rod in the slave.
Can you post the parts list and rough cost for this GT2 clutch setup? Like others, I do not like the standard clutch feel. I have a Boxster S in addition to the turbo and going between the two it is annoying to relearn the release points, just stalled the Boxster the other day

Last edited by Timeo; 08-14-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:34 PM
jboy tt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Practice, practice, practice...it's a great clutch.
stop whining...

Lol............
Old 08-14-2018, 03:51 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Chuckling as I read all of this. It's the one thing I detest about the clutch on the 997 is how high up the catch point is on the clutch. For those of you driving in extremely hilly areas, I don't know how you do it. I freak out on a steep hill and immediately pull the emergency brake before taking off. I know I'm going to roll back on the car behind me and then stall the mother.

I just replaced my slave last week as it was going bad and everything else is brand new, Sachs clutch, master cylinder and accumulator. I have to say with the new salve that it is much smoother in engagement, not as jerky but release point is still up high. I do like that for track driving as you don't need to depress the pedal that much for faster shifting but can be a pain for daily driving.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:17 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by Dguth
Chuckling as I read all of this. It's the one thing I detest about the clutch on the 997 is how high up the catch point is on the clutch. For those of you driving in extremely hilly areas, I don't know how you do it. I freak out on a steep hill and immediately pull the emergency brake before taking off. I know I'm going to roll back on the car behind me and then stall the mother.

I just replaced my slave last week as it was going bad and everything else is brand new, Sachs clutch, master cylinder and accumulator. I have to say with the new salve that it is much smoother in engagement, not as jerky but release point is still up high. I do like that for track driving as you don't need to depress the pedal that much for faster shifting but can be a pain for daily driving.
I agree with your comments. I've driven manual transmissions all my life, and the 997.1 TT was the most difficult to modulate of any that I've owned. Don't get me wrong - if I were ever to buy another 997 Turbo, I would buy a manual. It was very nice, but not as pleasant to operate at the manual transmission in my 996 C4S was....
Old 08-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Alapor
Instructor

jboy, not really, it is the biggest complaint on the 997tt. If it is so great, then why are so many going to the GT2 setup?

I drive both of my 911's. Going back and forth with two transmission setups can be challenging. I can drive about anything, had highend cars my whole life, just never felt a clutch like the 997tt.

I can learn to live with the clutch, I just want it to engage 1 to 2 inches off the floor instead of near the top of the stroke. The 997tt engages 10 inches off my floorboards and has very little free play on the back end. One day I will probably drop the engine to address the coolant jackets epoxy issue, and will think about a GT2 setup. I guess right now, there is no way to get the clutch to engage lower.

Just curious how many of you stalled your 997tt the first time you drove it? I know I sure as hell did. lol

As for the 2 cars, I thought I would like the 997tt much more than my 997.2C. I was wrong. I like them about the same. My 997.2C feels refined and smooth. Shifts like a dream and I swear will handle any curve as good if not better than my 997tt. I have owned it for 4 years and have a lot of seat time in it. I have had my 997TT for 3 days. To me, compared to the 997.2C, it feels violent, unrefined and runs like a rabid animal. It is unlike any Porsche I have ever owned. To me, the 997.2C is a refined gentleman's car that is smooth. The 997tt is more like a raging beast. I like them both the same right now. I guess because something is faster does not make it better. I am sure with more seat time the 997tt will grow on me and I will eventually love it, like I have all my Porsches. In any event, both say Porsche on them, have rear flat 6 engines, so, they both are the right car. lol.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:17 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

I personally hate the clutch on the 997.1 TT. It is inconsistent and really a pain in the *** in Sport mode. I have started to cobble together the parts needed for the GT2 conversion, but haven't decided on whether to replace the fork and tap the case yet or not. There is a bracket that a guy makes for the 996 that can be modified for the 997.I may do that.

Not sure when I am going to do this, but after every time I feel like a 15 year old trying to learn how to operate a clutch, that time to change it draws nearer. I have driven standard transmissions since my POS 3 door Honda Accord I bought used in college, right through to this one, with only 1 aberration, the '08 Audi S6 that did not come in a manual transmission option, and this car's clutch is the most inconsistent thing I have ever had under my feet.

Ed
Old 08-14-2018, 05:36 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Lliek, mine is consistent, consistently bad. While I said I could live with it, doesn't mean I want to. With the hydraulic assist, you lose something. On my 997.2C, I knew exactly when it would start engaging, how to feather it if needed and felt more connected to the car. I would not mind more pressure to get rid of the disconnected feeling between me and the car.

That being said, I am not looking for a Ferrari 512TR pressure. Heaviest clutch I have ever driven. If it was your daily driver, your left leg would be twice the size of your right and you would have back issues.

Still, would rather have the 6 speed than Tiptronic.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:46 PM
skyak
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I found the inconsistent engagement point really annoying. I recently changed to the GT2 set-up and it is a great improvement. With the spring installed pedal force required feels just right to me. But this will not solve your high engagement complaint.

Quick Reply: Another 997tt clutch question