Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Radiator replacement: OEM vs CSF units

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 03:45 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator replacement: OEM vs CSF units

Greetings! I got a slow leak in the center radiator, and will need replacement of all 3 soon. I've read about the OEM vs. CSF aluminum units. Anyone here have experience with the CSF units, and know the pricing of the OEM units? Should I be aware of any other issues that anyone here may have experienced? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2016, 04:54 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

I have the first set of 996 GT2/TT rads made, ~ 2.5years and ~42k km so far...have been great and I see better cooling capacity, and no plastic to ever break...
started here..https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...radiators.html
Old 11-02-2016, 08:24 PM
chardonet
Racer

Thank for the info!
Old 11-03-2016, 01:52 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 204 Posts

We have the CSF radiators on a few customer 997 GT3's and they've been solid, not any major change in running temps, but car mainly only sees track time...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 11-03-2016, 05:53 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Pwr is another. That's what the race cars use
Old 11-04-2016, 02:27 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CSF is a great replacement for oem
I have them and have no complaints (possibly the car Dundon is referencing)
No plastic, great support
I would not hesitate to buy them again
I think they lower the temps a bit but the last thread about them I was told that my real world experience did not meet the criteria of scientific evidence
Old 11-04-2016, 02:59 AM
turbofever
Banned

has anyone ever realized that aluminium is far more susceptible to heat transfer than the oem casings/fittings?

same goes for the intercoolers on turbo cars.. the end tanks on the gt2rs ic's

i have heard of the connections failing on the intercoolers as they can crack over time. other then that i cant imagine they offer better cooling results.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:54 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

^ not sure what you mean? we want ALL possible heat transfer...the rads are the only real source of heat at the front, no other radiant heat sources...
Old 11-04-2016, 09:50 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Improvement in cooling capacity attributed to the all aluminum units is highly debatable because when people are replacing old beat up and plugged up radiators with new shiny units, they are clearly seeing an improvement. Not really a fair test as you are not comparing brand new X with brand new Y.

Case in point. I just replaced my 14 year old OEM radiators (which were still tight as a drum but full of crud) with a brand new set of the exact same OEMs. Guess what? My logged temps dropped 15-20F across the board due to the fact that they were clean flowing without any crap packed into the fins. I think I paid $1200 for all 3.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Oems always start leaking a bit around the edge metal to plastic.
When we tapped the edges tight again they would stop leaking. Better go aftermarket, oems are weak.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:54 AM
turbofever
Banned

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Improvement in cooling capacity attributed to the all aluminum units is highly debatable because when people are replacing old beat up and plugged up radiators with new shiny units, they are clearly seeing an improvement. Not really a fair test as you are not comparing brand new X with brand new Y.

Case in point. I just replaced my 14 year old OEM radiators (which were still tight as a drum but full of crud) with a brand new set of the exact same OEMs. Guess what? My logged temps dropped 15-20F across the board due to the fact that they were clean flowing without any crap packed into the fins. I think I paid $1200 for all 3.
good point john,
Old 11-05-2016, 01:48 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Absolutely true John...however in my case, all external fins were in good/clean shape, and have almost the same mileage on CSF vs stock now. Low speed cooling is where I see the biggest benefit, IE. hard running then pits or 'traffic'
That said, my main reasoning behind the aluminum rads is durability, 1 day of down time is 1 day too much

Originally Posted by powdrhound

Old 11-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced all 3 of my OEM radiators with CSFs after getting a rock in the center radiator at a track event. They seemed to be well built and a good fit. The only issue I ran into was that one of the small hoses that connect to the center radiator wouldn't stay on. Porsche uses clips rather than hose clamps to connect the hoses to the radiators, and the clip on that small hose would not stay on very well. I ended up using safety wire in place of the clip to keep that hose connected. That was 1-2 years ago and no issues with them.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:39 PM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi Guys,

Here is some independent data that was sent to me from Tour-De-Force Power Engineering out of the UK. They are a well know Formula 1 / OEM development company with a race track located outside of their building.

Using our 996 cup radiators, they have proven that our radiators do perform better than OEM in race conditions, keeping temperatures stable.

Please see the chart and the message copied from an email sent to me a couple of months ago.

Quick Reply: Radiator replacement: OEM vs CSF units