997-2 RS vs F430 Scuderia

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 12:08 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 198 Posts
Question 997-2 RS vs F430 Scuderia

I've noticed something interesting - as 997-2 RS prices have climbed and seem to be holding steady, F430 Scuderia values have slowly come down to the point where the two cars seem to be in a similar price range.

I've never been a Ferrari guy but if I were to ever consider a Fiat it would be the F430 Scud. Purely for the deviated stitching and alcantara dash

For those who've been fortunate enough to own/drive one of those, how is it similar/different to a 997-2 RS, a regular F430, or even a 458 Italia? Just curious...
Old 10-26-2016, 12:47 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Just. Say. No.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,593 Likes on 2,300 Posts

^ it's ok to have a one night fling every so often.
just dont get caught.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:28 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Italians are hot.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:46 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Guy at my race shop tracks his Scud with CC brakes. I was there prepping for a track day when they were servicing it. $7k for pads and $30k for rotors. If you plan to drive to CC and back.. by all means. But if you want to track it and have a Fiat itch get a 360 GT and save $100k upfront. You even get deviated stitching and Alcatraz dash. Still cost $50k a season to track on steelies, but that's 1/4 of what a scud will cost to do the same. I talked to him after he paid the bill and he's considering the switch next year.

This is if you are left brained thinker. If you're an artist with coin then forget what I said.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:18 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I've noticed something interesting - as 997-2 RS prices have climbed and seem to be holding steady, F430 Scuderia values have slowly come down to the point where the two cars seem to be in a similar price range.

I've never been a Ferrari guy but if I were to ever consider a Fiat it would be the F430 Scud. Purely for the deviated stitching and alcantara dash

For those who've been fortunate enough to own/drive one of those, how is it similar/different to a 997-2 RS, a regular F430, or even a 458 Italia? Just curious...
I traded by scud before my Speciale and that's a good first Ferrari, very good actually.

Its different than a RS as it is easier to drive but one of the rawest Ferraris ever built, its screams like hell, Italian sound is such a symphony and its very fast.

I traded by F430 with a SCUD, its a good GT car, and the sound is better than a scud actually, much more V8 Ferrari like, and much cheaper to maintain and still a good bargain.

A 458 is a DCT, is better than a F430 but never better than a SCUD in IMO. Its a good DD, interior is much better than a F430 but the SCUD is a trackcar, no sound deadening, no mats and full of CF.

The maintenance and insurance is the one that you need to be aware off.
Also the Ferrari dealership DANCE. YOu will know it when you get hooked with it. I know I am. They are worse than porsche. You talk about allocation BS, wait till you ask for a bnew ferrari. Im glad im over that stage.

But, you need to own a Ferrari atleast once in your lifetime.

Last edited by thxbuff2001; 10-26-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:46 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001

The maintenance and insurance is the one that you need to be aware off.
Also the Ferrari dealership DANCE. YOu will know it when you get hooked with it. I know I am. They are worse than porsche. You talk about allocation BS, wait till you ask for a bnew ferrari. Im glad im over that stage.

But, you need to own a Ferrari atleast once in your lifetime.
Ding. Ding. Ding. One other thing to consider is the Fiat Tax: you pay to get into the club, and you pay big time during your stay, and even when you leave. Seems to be implications in 5,000 mile intervals as well. God forbid you try to sell your Fiat when it hits the 15,000 mile mark. And even more-so the 20,000 plateau. The Ferraristi seem to freak out over a car with more than 10k miles. If you buy, drive the snot out of it, and plan to keep forever, no big deal. Just be sure to tell your kids that Commnity College beckons.....

I scratched the F itch and enjoyed it for basically Spring and Summer. Then became annoyed at a bunch of things, sold it, and have been back in the classic Porsche world ever since. Want Italian thrills? Go buy a Ducati or MV Agusta, slap on some Termignonis, and save big $$$.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:02 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 198 Posts

LOL, guys, I'm not interested in owning the car, just wanted to see how the driving experience compares since they seem to be in the same neighborhood, pricewise.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:36 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Ding. Ding. Ding. One other thing to consider is the Fiat Tax: you pay to get into the club, and you pay big time during your stay, and even when you leave. Seems to be implications in 5,000 mile intervals as well. God forbid you try to sell your Fiat when it hits the 15,000 mile mark. And even more-so the 20,000 plateau. The Ferraristi seem to freak out over a car with more than 10k miles. If you buy, drive the snot out of it, and plan to keep forever, no big deal. Just be sure to tell your kids that Commnity College beckons.....

I scratched the F itch and enjoyed it for basically Spring and Summer. Then became annoyed at a bunch of things, sold it, and have been back in the classic Porsche world ever since. Want Italian thrills? Go buy a Ducati or MV Agusta, slap on some Termignonis, and save big $$$.
This.

I just let the Ferrari 430 go this month. You just can't use it as often as a Porsche without a lot of drama.

Good thread Ilko as usual
Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

the 458 is really the latest generation Ferrari that i'd drive with any regularity. i think ferrari finally is up to snuff with reliabilty and build fitment (ie stuff not just falling off) with the 458 generation.

Porsche GT cars hit the sweet spot with me and my finances. That said, if some well to do ferrari owner should happen to want a 997.2 GT3 in a straight up exchange for a pedestrian 458 coupe, i would be happy to oblige.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:40 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a Stradale and a Scud. Sold my first RS to buy a Scud. Sold the Scud 6 months later and painfully searched to replace the RS. Luckily found the nearly identical car. Both Fcars were amazing, but impractical unless you love being the center of attention. Very few places I felt comfortable taking either one. Ultimately that was my issue. The RS is equally fun to drive, manual, and flies under the radar mostly. I love that...I actually preferred the Stradale to the Scud. Probably should have kept the Strad. That and an RS- nice combo!
Old 10-26-2016, 07:20 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
I had a Stradale and a Scud. Sold my first RS to buy a Scud. Sold the Scud 6 months later and painfully searched to replace the RS. Luckily found the nearly identical car. Both Fcars were amazing, but impractical unless you love being the center of attention. Very few places I felt comfortable taking either one. Ultimately that was my issue. The RS is equally fun to drive, manual, and flies under the radar mostly. I love that...I actually preferred the Stradale to the Scud. Probably should have kept the Strad. That and an RS- nice combo!
I had a Stradale and then the 430. I don't regret letting the 430 go but I do regret letting the Stradale go especially since I drove it mostly on the track so I could avoid the street drama.

I have had a Ferrari or Porsche sometimes both at the same time for over 15 years, in all that time the Porsche's always got driven more.

I am slow learner, perhaps not as slow as Mooty but I am throwing in the towel on the Ferrari and sticking with Porsche.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:39 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Whatever some people have about ferraris, most people who owns one are a bunch of car enthusiasts. Just like porsche owners. Forget about the BS about allocations, prices, insurance.

Its an object(car) that will provide an experience few other brands can match. Sometimes even better a porsche. It has provided my family especially my kids one of the best experiences in their lives which I know they will never forget and will treasure forever. This goes to my porsches too.
And its not overrated. We are sometimes clouded about the BS that surround the people selling these cars but it(ferrari) is one of a kind. A car that would make you smile most of the time. You want an after market exhaust in a porsche(?), you dont need one in a ferrari. Atleast not me. Its execution is different. A friend of mine has said, his ferrari feels like the fastest one on the track all the time then a porsche passes by. Why is that important, a sensation that tricks you in believing you are fast enough already is a pretty good illusion, and it may save you.

I have stopped saying this would be my last porsche, BMW or ferrari because I have said it on all brands. The last time I said this would be my last porsche was before I traded my 997 C4S to my first ferrari. Where am I now, Ive owned 3 997 TT, 991 GT3 and a 997 RS since then. I said this would be my last BMW then I got another M5. I said this would be my last ferrari(SCUD), then a Speciale came to my lap.

ferraris are not porsches and porsches are not ferraris. Our kids know it, thats why one will like the ferrari and the other will like the porsche. Our kids are brighter than us sometimes.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,593 Likes on 2,300 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Italians are hot.
yes
italian bikes motorcycle cars women all
hot and they ALL BREAK

i know bc i got them all

Originally Posted by cavlino
I had a Stradale and then the 430. I don't regret letting the 430 go but I do regret letting the Stradale go especially since I drove it mostly on the track so I could avoid the street drama.

I have had a Ferrari or Porsche sometimes both at the same time for over 15 years, in all that time the Porsche's always got driven more.

I am slow learner, perhaps not as slow as Mooty but I am throwing in the towel on the Ferrari and sticking with Porsche.
lmao
i do learn slow

fiats are great toys
i have many not so smart friends. u know who i are
i tell them buy ferrari and they let me drive them. when i break them i help toe to dealer and hand them the bill.

i actually have no problem with the cost of maintenance insurance and all that. center of attention lol. i show up
in sweat pants at blk tie wedding so i'm used to attention. but i don't do well with bs or dealer dancing. if u want my
money just tell me bc dancing doesn't impress me one bit no
matter how sexy u are.

rs vs fiat. i buy rs
i'm calling my friends now to pitch them fiat.
they pay i drive
and i tell them that. i don't dance around the subject.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:22 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 124 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko

I've been lucky enough to spend a few weekends with a hot 430scud. They are amazing cars. Was I tempted to buy one. Not really. Mainly because I would be afraid for it to brake. Sounds like a real race car. And feels like it could be race car expensive to run.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 997rs4.0; 10-27-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 997-2 RS vs F430 Scuderia