Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Going from two M3s to a GT3..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 08:26 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Sell both. You won't miss them.

I had all the m3s. Even multiple of each at different times. Tracked some too with the normal DE mods. They are great until you drive a gt3 and then it's a memory. This may be hard to accept, but it's true.

If you are really into track get a race car. Boxster or Miata or 911 cup if your budget allows.

A street car car is never a substitute for a track car. Dual duty is unrealistic long term and if you are really driving it's only a matter of time before that pretty car meets a wall.

However, the gt3 will give you the track ******* everytime you start the engine. It's pure bred and almost anyone can appreciate that.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:23 AM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 109 Posts

Appreciate that response Modena. I don't plan to heavily track the GT3 if I get one. Maybe an occasional visit but the car's primary use will be weekends, cruises, and car events.

So you don't miss the M3s at all? Do you ever think about getting one to go with the GT3?
Old 10-20-2016, 11:10 AM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a scruffy 97 M3 but with relatively low miles when I found it (< 50k miles) 3 years ago. It has since been gone over on the mechanical side to keep it reliable and it has proven to be a great DD. I also have tracked it 2-3 times a year without any major track mods and it held up well. I now have Dinan springs with Koni and Stoptech pads (Trying PFC08 this weekend) but that is about it. It is such a nice car to learn and comfortable for daily and long distance driving. I've put 35k miles in about 3 year and can't see myself selling it. My son will learn to drive properly in that car on tracks.

I actually picked up my 2010 GT3 couple of months before the M3, and have only put ~5k miles or so since then. I love driving it but it is extremely frustrating to drive on the road since I can hardly scratch the potential of the car on the street. I did take it to track last year and that was a lot of fun. Obviously, as stated multiple times so far, there is no comparison between the e36 and the GT3. With that said, I am still learning (B group in the BMWCCA, may move up to A next time around) and GT3 is just too fast, and does it so well that it makes me fill like I am driving better than my skills would allow. I was going down a section at the Summit Point main track 10-15 miles faster than my instructor in a 997 Carrera without much drama. I would probably take it out once a year or so to have fun, but until I feel more confident on track, I think I will use the M3 more.

I will say that I am starting to feel like I could use more power from the e36 on track (have looked at putting s54 in it but I can buy a decent e46 for what it would cost) but on the street, it is fast enough and I can wring the engine out without fear of getting arrested (police can take you to jail if caught over 80 in VA). I think e46 or M2 (which I enjoyed quite a bit on track) actually would be a good next step car for me, but e36 will be used for teaching my kids, so it will stay regardless.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:32 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts

Been using my 99 E36 M3 for daily use for last 16 years - love it. Awesome mix of fun and usability.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:48 AM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

accept no substitute!
Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll stir the pot a little regarding BMW's.... since I'm kinda like the OP in wanting to get into the Porsche world coming from the M3 world.... How are the e92 M3's in your opinions?

I ask because the thought of selling mine has raced thru my head more than once lately.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:40 AM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hoyt
I'll stir the pot a little regarding BMW's.... since I'm kinda like the OP in wanting to get into the Porsche world coming from the M3 world.... How are the e92 M3's in your opinions?

I ask because the thought of selling mine has raced thru my head more than once lately.
I don't own one but my buddy with the 997 Turbo does. He is selling his after 2 months of owning the Turbo, if that tells you anything.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:54 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts

A 997 gt3 has been a dream car of mine for years. One day, I will own one. For now, I cannot justify it. I would never scratch the surface of the gt3s potential on the street (not to mention the roads where I live are atrocious and boring). So it makes no sense for me personally as a road car. I would have a hard time pushing it on the track like I do my caged e36 m3 (safety reasons, and the e36 can be replaced relatively cheaply). Not to mention, I am faster than many of the hacks out there in their gt3s.

I have to imagine the costs associated with tracking a gt3 are at least 2x what I spend to track my M3. Not to mention the entry cost. Until I can comfortably justify putting a gt3 on the track regularly, I will stick with my M3. Maybe in the next few years, but I think I have caught the mid-engine fever so maybe a GT4...
Old 10-21-2016, 01:41 PM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owed and driven GT3s for the past 10 yrs. Buy a Gt3; great and wonderful car; but keep the e36, don't get rid of it.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:07 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeGT3
I have owed and driven GT3s for the past 10 yrs. Buy a Gt3; great and wonderful car; but keep the e36, don't get rid of it.
Why keep the E36? Just curious.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:02 PM
blue flowers
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The E36 seems redundant if you have the GT3 IMO - beautiful car, but the GT3 is just better in every measurable (and immeasurable) aspect.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:29 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by blue flowers
The E36 seems redundant if you have the GT3 IMO - beautiful car, but the GT3 is just better in every measurable (and immeasurable) aspect.
Thats why I sold mine, I didnt need 2 cars that did the same thing (obviously the GT3 doing it much better)
Old 10-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

honestly there is no comparison. An m3 would have a hard enough time going up vs a standard 997S (and the S wins) let alone a gt3. That doesn't mean the bmws are not nice cars. They are great. But bmw makes sporting sedans not sports cars. For those who maybe can't afford a gt3, and want to sample the difference a 997S for 45k is a screaming deal.

I can understand those who have both in their life, because they serve different purposes. A proper scalpel and a kitchen knife. However, for those with limited space, or complicated lives (kids) I find it easier to run a barbell strategy. A sporty SUV that I wash every 6 months and then the fun car. But i live where it snows and take a train to work. So there is no one size fits all clearly.

Regarding m3s, I find them all charming and have my own thoughts on each. E30 m3 are nostalgic, kinda boring and now overpriced (like air cooled cars). e36 has great proportions and fun to fling, doesnt lack soul even though it lacks the real euro DNA. e46 needs a lot to be really fun, 4.10 rear end, brakes and suspension. e90/92 is a paradox - wild engine stuck in a porky pig. My e90 m3 was the last m3 I sold (rarer than an e30 m3 btw) but it feels baby m5 like. The lack of tq is exaggerated. f80 looks great to me but I have no use for it and hear them farting around town all the time.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:24 PM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell both. Once you drive a Gt3 you will understand . I was fortunate enough to have my e46 M3, 997s, and Gt3 all at the same time. I sold the S, still miss that car (best daily ever). Have the M3 as my daily (great car) now, but it's a boat once you drive a 911. The Gt3 is an event everytime I turn the key. It's in another league and it should be for the cost, but glad I have the opportunity to own one of the best cars from Porsche. It's visceral and the sound past 5k is magical. If I could do it over I would sell m3 and keep the S. The S does everything better minus storage space.

Pm me if you want more details. Love the Dakar color. Car looks sweet. Problem is it's slow compared to even sedans unless it has FI. We got screwed with the engine on the e36. If your in the position buy the Gt3. You will not regret it. I'm thinking of selling my m3 and getting a 997.1 turbo. Ultimate combo...
Old 10-25-2016, 03:38 AM
E46/997 guy
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with others here that the GT3 is more thrilling to drive both on the street and on the track. But I find it that very few people can drive them well enough to extract the car's true potential. The GT3 will punish you with understeer if drive like a wimp but so rewarding if you can drive it well.

M3s however are more forgiving, and with some track mods and a good driver can keep up with more capable cars. It is easier to push the limits on the M3 and become comfortable with it. If I were to keep one of the M3s, it would be the E46, but I guess I'm more biased towards the E46 chassis.

Overall, the 997 GT3's Mezger engine and the steering feedback put it on a different league in terms of the driving experience. If you have the itch, you should definitely try the GT3. You will regret it if you never own one.

Quick Reply: Going from two M3s to a GT3..?