Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Those who have added Dive Planes / Canards

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 12:17 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Agree. My fear is understeer at high speed, hence the front splitter i'm working on. BW should be a good test at T1/ Bust Stop / Riverside / Phil Hill. Slowing down into a turn should also give more confidence. One of my good friend, friend can do 1:53 in the new viper (NOT the ACR) - hoping i can match that time. Any pointers at BW? Only been their once. Particually interested in T2 / T3 /T 4 feedback. Riverside i need to grow a pair and stay WOT.
Never seen someone go around riverside at WOT even in a spec Boxster let alone GT car - let me follow behind when you try

T2 you disregard and brake straight into, very bumpy so need to be early, end up at apex of three then off brakes and throttle all the way out track out is end of outside curbing

T4 is a throw away trail brake all the way through it up to t5.

T6 most important turn of track for low HP cars you maximize by sacrificing t5 and being all the way to left of track and setup for 6

Normal apex using all the curb for 7 then if you have swingers you don't let off the gas again till 10

That set of turns generates a 1-3 second time delta for SPB racers. Even a gentle lift and you aren't in the hunt to win

Phil hill you apex earlier than you expect you should and you should be full throttle before you see your exit - this takes some practice - mistakes here suck as the track out curbing is violent and off track has tons of ruts

You'll be fast I have no doubts - not sure what fast GT times are for 13cw. SPB track record is 2:01
Old 10-14-2016, 12:33 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Never seen someone go around riverside at WOT even in a spec Boxster let alone GT car - let me follow behind when you try

T2 you disregard and brake straight into, very bumpy so need to be early, end up at apex of three then off brakes and throttle all the way out track out is end of outside curbing

T4 is a throw away trail brake all the way through it up to t5.

T6 most important turn of track for low HP cars you maximize by sacrificing t5 and being all the way to left of track and setup for 6
Thanks for pointers. Yes T2 is bumpy as heck - hence wondering what others do w/ 911 platform. Inside is too much road degree which i feel you lose grip coming out due to the surface + bottoming out.
I analyzed how F1 cars took turn 11/ hairping at suzuka this past weekend- and they go on the OUTSIDE, wondering if it would work for me....

As for Riverside, I let my friend drive my car. He took Riverside WOT . It CAN be done. He was sideways the coming out of riverside on the *** of the viper that ended up shooting a massive rock and cracking my windscreen -- top 3 scariest moments of my life, no doubt.

p.s. i can invite him if you like however he has rituals before driving that would horrify most (98%) people.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:59 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

I'd like to know said rituals if he can flat foot from the bus stop to Phil hill
Old 10-16-2016, 03:46 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Hershann, IMO the canards are " good". The 4.0 has them for a reason but if you want true DF, you needd to add one of these. Cost is approx $1200 for a true-prepeg carbon fiber splitter. PM me offline and i'll assist.

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I'd like to know said rituals if he can flat foot from the bus stop to Phil hill
already told you via offline.
Attached Images    
Old 10-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 204 Posts

Here's another beefier option that can take a pounding. Was made for World Challenge racing... A bit more than $1200, but is a racing part that I'm using on my 4.2L project. The fence (air dam) is separate and available in two heights, the splitter is attached to the car frame so it can really pull the car down (you can stand on it...). It does require the bottom of the bumper to be cut, or you can get a cup bumper and use it...

http://www.dundonmotorsports.com/por...fiber-splitter

jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 10-16-2016, 06:16 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Here's another beefier option that can take a pounding. Was made for World Challenge racing... A bit more than $1200, but is a racing part that I'm using on my 4.2L project. The fence (air dam) is separate and available in two heights, the splitter is attached to the car frame so it can really pull the car down (you can stand on it...). It does require the bottom of the bumper to be cut, or you can get a cup bumper and use it...

[
The one installed on my car IS from WC racing/ Grand AM. However the maker only charges $1200 IIRC.
Therefore no " beefier" option .

p.s. and it CAN be installed on a OEM bumper w/ out cutting oem bumper. Maybe i'll make a thread.

Last edited by F1CrazyDriver; 10-16-2016 at 06:33 PM. Reason: edit specifying Grand AM
Old 10-16-2016, 07:08 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
The one installed on my car IS from WC racing/ Grand AM. However the maker only charges $1200 IIRC.
Therefore no " beefier" option .

p.s. and it CAN be installed on a OEM bumper w/ out cutting oem bumper. Maybe i'll make a thread.
There are several different wc racing/ grand am splitters. Some are 1 piece design fence and tray
and some are 2 piece design. Jamie's is the 2 piece.
See here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cup-cars/877961-fs-997-2-wc-ga-carbon-splitter-flat-floor.html

The one Jamie has is the one truspeed originally ran on their cup cars and was a game changer for them.

you can see the difference in the splitter tray thickness between them. Also, your full setup mounts to the bumper, his, the tray mounts to the chassis and the lip/fence mounts to the bumper. Then the lip slips into the tray. (See drawing below) There is no way to mount Jamie's without cutting the floor of the bumper as the tray becomes the floor.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:18 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by bmwtye
There are several different wc racing/ grand am splitters. See here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...lat-floor.html

The one Jamie has is the one truspeed originally ran on their cup cars and was a game changer for them.

you can see the difference in the splitter tray thickness between them. Also, your full setup mounts to the bumper, his, the tray mounts to the chassis and the lip/fence mounts to the bumper. There is no way to mount Jamie's without cutting the floor of the bumper as the tray becomes the floor.
you're correct. several options. i do think canards will work. amplify effect w/ splitter.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:40 PM
hershann
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

All those splitters looks good and are probably much more effective with less drag penalty. Jamie's is for a 997.2 bumper?

Unfortunately my car is still being used on the street and without a lifter - the splitter will be probably last all of a month before being smashed to oblivion by the ramps & humps.

My cup lip get scuffed up all the time - needing plastidip spraying every 2-3 weeks to look presentable.

her shann
Old 10-17-2016, 01:49 PM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

FWIW I buy that cheap door edge guard plastic from Amazon (or autozone, etc) which covers the bottom lip of the cup spoiler perfectly and allows me to effectively "replace" the leading edge anytime it gets scuffed up. It is invisible once on the car.

$11.50 buys you 50ft of the stuff. Cut to fit as needed!

Astra Depot 49 Feet 15M Black Door Front Rear Lip Edge Overlay Molding Guard Protection Decoration Stripe Trim For Car Toyota Honda Volvo Volkswagen Ford https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OVZZ4QA..._Ocqbyb8DR7YEY
Old 10-17-2016, 02:49 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hershann
All those splitters looks good and are probably much more effective with less drag penalty. Jamie's is for a 997.2 bumper?

Unfortunately my car is still being used on the street and without a lifter - the splitter will be probably last all of a month before being smashed to oblivion by the ramps & humps.

My cup lip get scuffed up all the time - needing plastidip spraying every 2-3 weeks to look presentable.

her shann
Agreed, not great for predominantly a street car. The only difference is the shape of the fence between the 997.1 and the 997.2 we have it for both...
Old 10-27-2018, 04:27 PM
Cpoarchy
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts

Where did you get that splitter, really like it.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:59 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cpoarchy
Where did you get that splitter, really like it.
we sell it, option of 2 fences. The maker is a little bit of an “artist” so leadtimes can vary.

Shoot me an email and i’ll get you a quote!

Quick Reply: Those who have added Dive Planes / Canards