Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Those who have added Dive Planes / Canards

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 05:51 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

Ngng. I think you miss the point of this. We are looking to actually raise the grip and limit threshold, not confirm to all that we can drive to the level that is there stock.

Any input re the rubber sizes appreciated.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:58 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
Ngng. I think you miss the point of this. We are looking to actually raise the grip and limit threshold, not confirm to all that we can drive to the level that is there stock. Any input re the rubber sizes appreciated.
Better shocks and stickier tires then are your solution
Old 10-13-2016, 06:42 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

Ngng. I think you miss the point of this. We are looking to actually raise the grip and limit threshold, not confirm to all that we can drive to the level that is there stock.

Any input re the rubber sizes appreciated.
i was responding to the op's original question...should he install dive planes that he has sitting around, if they make a difference
Old 10-13-2016, 07:23 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default back from business trip

therefore i have time to finish this project. I "should" complete this by next weekend.
I'll be doing some shakedown sessions in a few weeks and will report back.
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2016, 07:39 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
therefore i have time to finish this project. I "should" complete this by next weekend.
I'll be doing some shakedown sessions in a few weeks and will report back.
that's what im talkin bout!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:28 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,848 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
What is the rest of your aero setup?

Adding the Dive Planes will not be noticeable for any street driving. On track, it does help but its more a sum of parts thing than an individual fix. If you do not have a cup front lip yet, I would suggest doing that, and then add the dive planes.

If your goal is more front end grip, tires and suspension setup will be a more noticeable difference over dive planes.

Im running cup front lip, raised rear wing, 275 fronts, and a ton of suspension stuff and dive planes were the last thing i added. Fwiw the ones I added are larger than the 4.0 rs planes.

You're also running a wicker on the rear wing from the looks of it. That and the raised wing height nicely balances the added front downforce from the Cup lip and dive planes.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:19 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

[QUOTE=ngng;13673122]
Thanks for the guidance

For those running stock body panels on a 997.1 GT3, what sizes front track rubber can we go to and what is the matching rear size to keep abs working as intended in ?

1. 19" dia
2. 18' dia

Guidance appreciated.

personally, i guess i've never had an issue with front end grip that i couldn't change by modifying my driving style. what are people encountering?
Start on Post #20
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...hinking-2.html
Old 10-13-2016, 09:24 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
You're also running a wicker on the rear wing from the looks of it. That and the raised wing height nicely balances the added front downforce from the Cup lip and dive planes.
Yes running a 10mm wicker on the rear wing.

Looking forward to trying this out soon

Its two piece design, the splitter tray mounts to the chasis, and the fence (what we call lip on the car now), mounts normally. There are 2 fence choices, a street fence, which doesnt hang down as far and allows a little more clearance at the front for the tray, and a track fence, which is more like the cup lip and hangs lower and sets the tray lower.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:27 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

You're a brave man Tye! That wouldn't survive a day in New York. It's why I prefer the cup lip, it's lower but flexible. I don't mind the scuffs
Old 10-13-2016, 10:43 PM
hershann
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to all who replied!

Am already using the 997.1 Cup Lip (without vents), also has a gurney flap on the rear wing (AOA flat). Wouldn't mind having better turn in at the track or more front end stability at speed (it's ok currently).

Agree that the dive planes will prob work better with the .2 RS front fender extensions.

Maybe I should just install it and see how it feels. Will the 3M adhesive come off the xpel film easily if I decide to remove it subsequently?

her shann
Old 10-13-2016, 10:56 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hershann
Thanks to all who replied!

Am already using the 997.1 Cup Lip (without vents), also has a gurney flap on the rear wing (AOA flat). Wouldn't mind having better turn in at the track or more front end stability at speed (it's ok currently).

Agree that the dive planes will prob work better with the .2 RS front fender extensions.

Maybe I should just install it and see how it feels. Will the 3M adhesive come off the xpel film easily if I decide to remove it subsequently?

her shann
Yes it comes off xpel film easily. For what you are saying turn in and stability, I suggest suspension setup if you haven't invested in that yet.

Then tires and upgraded suspension components.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 760 Posts

Not sure what canards add but I put them on my 997's.

FWIW I once added a cup splitter and gurney flap between sessions, only 20 minutes apart and completely forgot about it. The car was .4 secs faster on 1.20 Laptime but the last corner before the long straight is pretty crucial at about 100 MPH.

Like others said, all little but add up.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:48 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Not sure what canards add but I put them on my 997's.

FWIW I once added a cup splitter and gurney flap between sessions, only 20 minutes apart and completely forgot about it. The car was .4 secs faster on 1.20 Laptime but the last corner before the long straight is pretty crucial at about 100 MPH.

Like others said, all little but add up.
Agree.
My fear is understeer at high speed, hence the front splitter i'm working on. BW should be a good test at T1/ Bust Stop / Riverside / Phil Hill. Slowing down into a turn should also give more confidence. One of my good friend, friend can do 1:53 in the new viper (NOT the ACR) - hoping i can match that time. Any pointers at BW? Only been their once.
Particually interested in T2 / T3 /T 4 feedback.
Riverside i need to grow a pair and stay WOT.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 760 Posts

WTF?
Old 10-14-2016, 12:08 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by hershann
Thanks to all who replied! Am already using the 997.1 Cup Lip (without vents), also has a gurney flap on the rear wing (AOA flat). Wouldn't mind having better turn in at the track or more front end stability at speed (it's ok currently). Agree that the dive planes will prob work better with the .2 RS front fender extensions. Maybe I should just install it and see how it feels. Will the 3M adhesive come off the xpel film easily if I decide to remove it subsequently? her shann
Trail brake - 911s always feel icky in the front need to put the weight on the nose. It's not a car that likes gliding at turn in

Quick Reply: Those who have added Dive Planes / Canards