Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Those who have added Dive Planes / Canards

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:35 AM
hershann
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Those who have added Dive Planes / Canards

Any GT3 / RS owners that have added aftermarket / oem dive planes (canards) feel that it makes a difference to how the car feels / drives - before and after the addition of the dive planes?

Have a 997.1 GT3RS which I feel could use more front end grip (planning to try 245 fronts soon) - also has a set of the dive planes which I have yet to install.

Just wondering if it makes any difference before I get down to installing it.

Actually prefer the cleaner look with the dive planes but if it makes a significant difference I will get down to installing it.

thanks

her shann
Old 10-13-2016, 01:35 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm curious about this as well. No question going to a wider tire in the front will help with mechanical grip at all speeds whereas the canards will help more so at high speed cornering.

ride height will also make a difference.

if you don't want your canards i'm open to buy them
Old 10-13-2016, 02:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,599 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by hershann
Any GT3 / RS owners that have added aftermarket / oem dive planes (canards) feel that it makes a difference to how the car feels / drives - before and after the addition of the dive planes?

Have a 997.1 GT3RS which I feel could use more front end grip (planning to try 245 fronts soon) - also has a set of the dive planes which I have yet to install.

Actually prefer the cleaner look with the dive planes but if it makes a significant difference I will get down to installing it.

thanks

her shann
I have the OEM DP's on my GT3 (and a cup splitter), hand on heart I cannot
feel the difference of the DPs ...

The splitter is better value for money IMO
Old 10-13-2016, 02:32 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

What is the rest of your aero setup?

Adding the Dive Planes will not be noticeable for any street driving. On track, it does help but its more a sum of parts thing than an individual fix. If you do not have a cup front lip yet, I would suggest doing that, and then add the dive planes.

If your goal is more front end grip, tires and suspension setup will be a more noticeable difference over dive planes.

Im running cup front lip, raised rear wing, 275 fronts, and a ton of suspension stuff and dive planes were the last thing i added. Fwiw the ones I added are larger than the 4.0 rs planes.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

^^^ +1
Old 10-13-2016, 02:54 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by hershann

thanks

her shann
those dive planes are cosmetic but damn they look good
Old 10-13-2016, 03:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngng
those dive planes are cosmetic but damn they look good
incorrect, the DPs on the 4.0L RS reduce front end lift by around 13lbs (or kg's I dont recall which) *and* clean up the air around the front wheel wells ...
(for which you require the RS wheel arch extensions to work properly)
Old 10-13-2016, 03:06 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
incorrect, the DPs on the 4.0L RS reduce front end lift by around 13lbs (or kg's I dont recall which) *and* clean up the air around the front wheel wells ... (for which you require the RS wheel arch extensions to work properly)
Not all that certain anyone on this forum can tell difference on track between yes and no canards to be fair
Old 10-13-2016, 03:29 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I've got a set on my 996. You're only going to notice a difference in really high speed stuff. At my home track there are 2 corners where I've at least convinced myself they make a difference esp on turn-in.

I was going down a road of what I could do to help the front a little more and this was a better solution than cutting vents in the bumper or putting on a really large splitter (bigger than the cup that is).

I'm happy with them overall. Despite being really ugly I highly suggest mounting them with double sided tape and then adding a bead of clear silicone to keep air out of that join with the bumper....that or rivet them on and don't look back.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:04 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

The dive planes are part of a cumulative package. Apart from the additional frontal downforce described above they also reduce the positive pressure under the car. They prevent air from the side of the car and turbulent air exiting the wheels from going under the car. How much an inch wide dive plane helps on a 3,000 lb car is a different story. But they sure do look super cool and I have them on my car. Along with a cup lip and cup rear wing uprights... Hey, every little bit helps!
Old 10-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Not all that certain anyone on this forum can tell difference on track between yes and no canards to be fair
I dont disagree, however (apologies for being pedantic) but my response *was* directed towards the claim that they are cosmetic in nature, which they
are not, and not about the ability for the average driver to detect their presence or absence.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:21 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for the guidance

For those running stock body panels on a 997.1 GT3, what sizes front track rubber can we go to and what is the matching rear size to keep abs working as intended in ?

1. 19" dia
2. 18' dia

Guidance appreciated.

[QUOTE=bmwtye;13672641]What is the rest of your aero setup?

If your goal is more front end grip, tires and suspension setup will be a more noticeable difference over dive planes.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:28 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I dont disagree, however (apologies for being pedantic) but my response *was* directed towards the claim that they are cosmetic in nature, which they
are not, and not about the ability for the average driver to detect their presence or absence.
if we want to be pedantic, technically everything you do will affect the vehicle at some way. whether or not i take a **** after lunch to drop a few pounds may affect how the car handles, but i'd chalk it up to negligible
Old 10-13-2016, 05:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngng
if we want to be pedantic, technically everything you do will affect the vehicle at some way. whether or not i take a **** after lunch to drop a few pounds may affect how the car handles, but i'd chalk it up to negligible
my comment was purely in regard to the difference between cosmetic vs functional vs detectable... that's all ...

this sort of smart *** response is why I wonder why I waste my time on RL.

unsubscribed
Old 10-13-2016, 05:33 PM
ngng
Drifting

[QUOTE=MC 968CS;13673080]Thanks for the guidance

For those running stock body panels on a 997.1 GT3, what sizes front track rubber can we go to and what is the matching rear size to keep abs working as intended in ?

1. 19" dia
2. 18' dia

Guidance appreciated.

Originally Posted by bmwtye
What is the rest of your aero setup?

personally, i guess i've never had an issue with front end grip that i couldn't change by modifying my driving style. what are people encountering?

Quick Reply: Those who have added Dive Planes / Canards