Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ferrari itch

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016 | 12:29 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a 360 manual for 8 years, and loved it. It's not a track car like the GT3, but has wonderful steering feel, great power at 400hp, and really good brakes (for street use.) The pedal set up for heel toe is as good as it gets. Shifting can be a little awkward, since it has a really light flywheel and the slow gate.

I've only drive a 599 once, but liked it a lot. Very different than the lighter more nimble 360. Really neat engine, that makes great noises and endless power. Much bigger and heavier car; a very refined Corvette.

I would certainly give a Ferrari a try. The maintenance will be more expensive. I did almost all of mine myself, so it wasn't bad. I found parts to be readily available, and not much different cost wise than Porsche stuff. The 360 is the bargain of all Ferraris. The more powerful, more sorted, but heavier 430 is also a great Ferrari value. Maintenance will be less, but the buy in more. If you really enjoy the GT3, you will like the 360/430. The 599 is a great car, but very different than what you've listed. Like any of our cars, buying a bad one will be a very big money pit......
Old 07-13-2016 | 02:21 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,410 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
Nonsense. I've never found a part on any of my Ferraris that took longer to get than any Porsche part. And if you believe service sucks, you're not going to the right shop. Granted, if one lives out in the boonies competent service might be difficult, but probably the same with a Porsche.
When I had my 599 I lived in Dallas, Scottsdale or Beverly Hills. Zero percent boonies.

I get what you are saying but as these cars age it's not like dealers hold onto 360/430 parts. Rarity insisits that there is not the density of parts per model vs porsche.
Old 07-13-2016 | 10:18 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
When I had my 599 I lived in Dallas, Scottsdale or Beverly Hills. Zero percent boonies.

I get what you are saying but as these cars age it's not like dealers hold onto 360/430 parts. Rarity insisits that there is not the density of parts per model vs porsche.
Yes, you are correct. That applies if simply for the fact there are much fewer Ferraris than there are Porsches. I just never found it difficult to get parts. And as I'm sure you know there are several aftermarket parts suppliers (like Ricambi, for example) that can often furnish something that may not be in stock at the dealer or that may be an "overpriced" part just because it comes in a little yellow box with a black prancing horse on it.

Cheers.
Old 07-13-2016 | 01:52 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Samigo78
I am a Porsche fan - owned/own a 997.2 GT3RS, 987 Boxster Spyder and 993. Am however considering adding a Ferrari to my stable - thinking about 360 manual or 599 - just to experience the marque if nothing else. Would appreciate people's perspectives on these 2 Ferrari's and how they compare to the Porsche's I owned. Should I be bothered? Thanks
I can only comment on 360 3 pedal experience.
It is far better dynamically than the 993 4S or 997.1 Turbo that I previously owned.

It may turn out to be more "fragile" than either of them.

It seems to have many similarities to the 996 GT3 I currently own.

I'm in no hurry to get rid of either.

Cheers

Craig
Attached Images   
Old 07-13-2016 | 02:09 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Am I an idiot to think a 328 would be a fun addition? driver quality, miles are OK by me...
Old 07-13-2016 | 06:53 PM
David993S
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Am I an idiot to think a 328 would be a fun addition? driver quality, miles are OK by me...
Not at all. Just don't expect the kind of performance you're used to with the GT3RS. Their performance is more aligned with a 3.2 Carrera. 328's are great little cars. They look great, sound great, handle great, are very reliable, and reasonably easy to work on being the last of the analog cars.
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:03 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 288 Posts

While primarily a Porsche guy, I've previously owned a 355 GTS and a 355 Challenge and currently own a 575 F1 and a 430 Challenge. My take:

Highly recommend a gated shifter to fully get the Ferrari experience. Love the clanking sounds as you row the gears! F1 tranny is fantastic for your second or third time through the marque, but don't cheat yourself with your first one.

While the 355 is beautiful and sounds amazing, they are stupidly expensive to maintain. And very finicky, if everything isn't perfect the power is zapped.

The 430 Challenge is a beast of car, it's taking me longer to come up to speed than I anticipated. Highly sensitive to set-up, the difference between a well balanced car and one that will bite you in the *** is just a millimeter or two.

The 599 is brilliant in nearly every way. Very reliable, parts are available when needed, not horribly expensive to maintain (by Ferrari standards, not Porsche standards), and incredibly versatile. It's my daily driver most days of the week. I sometimes toy with trading out to a 599, but then I come to my senses and realize I am not really missing anything.

Ferrari electronics leave a lot to be desired. Most failures on a modern day Ferrari will eventually be traced back to something electrical.
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:23 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
Not at all. Just don't expect the kind of performance you're used to with the GT3RS. Their performance is more aligned with a 3.2 Carrera. 328's are great little cars. They look great, sound great, handle great, are very reliable, and reasonably easy to work on being the last of the analog cars.
one in grey or white would be awesome. triple white dope man 80's special. good pair to my red 3.2 carrera.

so many cars on want list, so little garage space.
Old 07-14-2016 | 07:46 PM
David993S
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
one in grey or white would be awesome. triple white dope man 80's special. good pair to my red 3.2 carrera.

so many cars on want list, so little garage space.
You lost me at triple white.
Old 07-17-2016 | 10:59 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

You need to own a Ferrari once in your life.

Be careful, it starts as an itch, then a rash then an addiction.

I know for a fact, I would try me best to have a Ferrari always in my stable. After I tried one, never looked back.

Now for my porsches, my .2 RS is the best one ive owned.

Don't burn me, theres a lot of us here, but I like Italian ******!

PS: Try a F430 paddle, sure for collectability, get a MT, but if you want your first Ferrari, the F430 would be the best one right now. You can get one for $110K and its a chain, not a belt. Just starting it, will hypnotize you. Be ready with your check book.
Old 07-18-2016 | 10:55 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

The F cars are nice no doubt.But The only car I would get instead.A FORD GT . Its like the chick you never get sick of. Ive had mine since new and I can tell you it’s a one of kind experience!
Old 07-18-2016 | 11:20 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,410 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
The F cars are nice no doubt.But The only car I would get instead.A FORD GT . Its like the chick you never get sick of. Ive had mine since new and I can tell you it’s a one of kind experience!
FGT is a really awesome car that does not feel or look like it will break...the 430 to me looks like a 5 year old with a green belt could chop it to pieces with bare hands.
Old 07-18-2016 | 08:31 PM
David993S
Drifting

......the 430 to me looks like a 5 year old with a green belt could chop it to pieces with bare hands.
Old 07-19-2016 | 03:11 AM
Samigo78
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your perspectives. It's great that we are all passionate about our cars!

I've put a deposit for a 360 manual - the test drive was great (steering quite light though compared to Porsche) and the sense of occasion/sound is quite something....! Also not too expensive for a first Ferrari and I wanted to experience the Ferrari gated shift

Will report back if I manage to close the deal and add some miles to it
Old 07-19-2016 | 01:40 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 161 Posts

Okay lets back up a bit- you want a manual trans ferrari and are considering a 599?

because if so- they're 500k now.

I'm probably one of very few who has owned one, and I personally loved it. My only issue was servicing it, I didn't really like who I had to deal with on that end.

I bought my gated shifter 599 and drove it daily for a year. LOVED IT. Noises!! Clink, clink, raaaaaaarrrrrrr. And I really drove it. Drove it across the country- super practical because of the trunk. Same engine as the enzo. It's a great car- but like I said they're 500-600k now depending on miles.
Local friend of mine bought a 599 new. Few months ago local dealer offered him what he paid for it new, covered taxes and GAVE him an FF.... if that tells you where 599 prices have gone... and also where the demand for the FF has not gone.

Quick Reply: Ferrari itch